PDA

View Full Version : Holy smokes! Look what you need to buy the 3g iPhone!

Taskiss
2008-07-08, 14:23
What to bring.

To purchase and activate iPhone 3G, you need the following:*
Credit card
Social security number
Valid government-issued photo ID
Current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)Damn!

I've had less trouble getting a marriage license! All I had to bring then was a birth certificate.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

Wyatt
2008-07-08, 14:29
Please note the word "activate" above the list. You must activate in-store, so this shouldn't be surprising. You need this to activate any contract-based phone.

Mugge
2008-07-08, 14:30
"Your privacy is important to us. Not to you."

Not an actual quote, but me paraphrasing on Apple and their new friends at AT&T.

Kickaha
2008-07-08, 14:39
Please note the word "activate" above the list. You must activate in-store, so this shouldn't be surprising. You need this to activate any contract-based phone.

Indeed. SS# is standard for the credit check for a phone contract. Photo ID, in this case, is to confirm your identity since it's face-to-face. Personally, I appreciate that check, since neither Sprint nor Verizon bothered to check that the SS# I gave them was correct against the credit card name, or that it was actually mine.

Basically, you just need your credit card, your driver's license (which I think should always be asked for when using a credit card), your SS# (doesn't everyone have that memorized?), and your current cell provider account info and password... that last one might be the toughest for most people. The rest is standard wallet and brain data.

Mugge
2008-07-08, 14:47
Ok. Now I don't know what's worse. That you guys think this is normal, or the fact that enough people have defaulted on their phone bills to make the carriers take such measures.

:|

Kickaha
2008-07-08, 14:52
Oh I don't *like* it. I don't like it anytime a company feels like they need to perform a *credit check* on me just to sell me a product. I hate being treated that way. It's intrusive, annoying, and, well, it's rude.

But every cell provider I've gotten a contract with has done it. Since you have to sign up on the spot for that contract, it's kind of expected information to have on hand at the point of sale.

And, as I said above, if they're going to require my SS#, at least they have the forethought to check my ID at the same time.

It's too bad - I really thought that Apple might have a shot at changing the cell world like they did the music industry, but I guess not. The iPhone is now subsidized, locked, and pretty much like any other phone out there in business model. Oh well. :(

Kraetos
2008-07-08, 15:30
Credit Card? Check.
SSN? Memorized.
Photo ID? Drivers License.
Current wireless number and pin? Memorized.

So, what is it again, that I don't normally carry with me, that I need to bring?

:rolleyes:

;)

Jerman
2008-07-08, 15:57
I am just trying to understand the article... What about current subscribers? We have a year and a half left on our current plan (I extended it when I bought my iPhone). Will they be subject to a credit check as well, even though they are currently on a plan? When we started our plan a few years back, I had good credit, but for whatever reason, was rejected, so we put the plan under my wife's name. I would just hate to get there and be rejected even though we are already on a plan.

Oh yeah, an in store activation. Bleh. I LOVED being able to take my phone home and activate it there, and being the first one to open it... I wish they at least offered the option to activate at home.

Yontsey
2008-07-08, 16:03
All the requirements seem pretty standard to me.

When I signed up through T-Mobile a 19 months ago or so, I went through the same thing. No big deal. They're just making sure you can actually pay for it, ha.

psmith2.0
2008-07-08, 16:04
I know. All this stuff is goofy and seems to go against everything that made the device, a year ago, so damn cool and refreshing. Now, service/rate-wise, it's just like everything else.

To be expected, I guess (Apple doesn't have 100% control over all this end of it), but still.

It's an amazing device, the iPhone in general, and I just wonder if this second go-around will take the shine off it a bit, once people start to realize a lot of things?

Kinda makes me wonder what the next one (summer 2009?) will be like.

:)

Kickaha
2008-07-08, 16:17
Kinda makes me wonder what the next one (summer 2009?) will be like.

A Palm?

*ZING*

kpluck
2008-07-08, 16:27
Damn!

I've had less trouble getting a marriage license! All I had to bring then was a birth certificate.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

Not a valid comparison. Marriage is less of a commitment. :)

-Keith

scratt
2008-07-08, 20:23
To purchase and activate iPhone 3G, you need the following:*
Credit card
Social security number
Valid government-issued photo ID
Current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)

It's quite amusing really. I need less info than that when signing up for a contract phone in Thailand as a foreigner.

Passport and Work Permit will do the job just fine, and that will include the 3G when they finally get it on the AIS network here.

Of course I am still almost certain that they'll show up at MBK (unlocked) and available for cash inside the month anyway.

It's amazing how your freedom and convenience goes out the window the moment big companies think they might not be able to lock you in and stitch you up as easily as they hoped.

apple007
2008-07-08, 22:46
Everything in that list has been standard for a contract-based cell phone service since the early '90s.

I'm very :confused: about the griping above.

kieran
2008-07-08, 22:53
I'm with you.

I don't really see what all the fuss is about either.

Standard issue in order to get a new phone.

scratt
2008-07-08, 23:26
From US based people perhaps the griping is unjustified.

However as a "Citizen of The World", having had phone contracts in many countries I can say that the above requirement is fascist in the extreme.

Robo
2008-07-09, 00:58
From US based people perhaps the griping is unjustified.

However as a "Citizen of The World", having had phone contracts in many countries I can say that the above requirement is fascist in the extreme.

SS# is standard credit check stuff. Previous cell # and pin is required to port your previous number. ID is obvious.

So really, all that leaves is a method of payment. The horror!

If one doesn't want to sign a contract/do a credit check, there are many other options, such as prepaid or FlexPay.

I'm still not sure what's so shocking, or what should (or even could) be left out.

scratt
2008-07-09, 01:09
I don't know perhaps the systems I have used are archaic.

Both here, the UK, Spain and France all I ever did was pay, and fill out an application with my Home Address and Name on it.

Only here in Thailand did I need to show I had a Work Permit, and that's because I am a foreigner, and they want to know I have a job and can pay the bill as I opted for 30 days billing. Fair enough.

Why do you need to show both ID and SS#? Surely one would suffice?

And why a 'valid government photo ID'. The thought really pisses me off.

For example.. I still drive on a valid UK driving license without a photo, and am able to hire cars there when I go on holiday without any issues.... I did that less than a month ago.

cosus
2008-07-09, 01:38

Both here, the UK, Spain and France all I ever did was pay, and fill out an application with my Home Address and Name on it.

It just seems over trusting?

scratt
2008-07-09, 01:48
It just seems over trusting?

Exactly my point!

I am buying a friggin' phone, and agreeing to pay €xx.xx per month for a couple of years, and I have to prove something to you? A huge multi-million dollar corporation?

One that will quite happily sue my ass off if I default.

I am your customer and you treat me like a terrorist? No thanks.

Taskiss
2008-07-09, 07:50
I have an iPhone with an AT&T contract, and I'm pretty sure I didn't give my SSN. I typically refuse such requests. I don't remember a time I've given it to someone where it wasn't part of an employment requirement.

Kickaha
2008-07-09, 07:56

Only here in Thailand did I need to show I had a Work Permit, and that's because I am a foreigner, and they want to know I have a job and can pay the bill as I opted for 30 days billing. Fair enough.

Why do you need to show both ID and SS#? Surely one would suffice?

SS# is the unique key they use to identify you in credit checks. Name won't do. And, the official SS# card doesn't have a photo on it. It's supposed to be a single life-long ID#. I still have my original card from when I was 14 and got my first job.

Photo ID is to ensure that your face, name on credit card, and name that pops up during credit check all match.

Two very different purposes.

And why a 'valid government photo ID'. The thought really pisses me off.

Because other IDs are considered too easy to fake. Hell, I had to show more documentation to get my NY driver's license than I did to get my US passport.

For example.. I still drive on a valid UK driving license without a photo, and am able to hire cars there when I go on holiday without any issues.... I did that less than a month ago.

Every state in the US has a photo on their driver's license. It's considered the standard.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous too, but once they decide to do credit checks, the SS# is necessary, and I appreciate the photo ID check.

Taskiss
2008-07-09, 07:58
How can I protect my Social Security number?

You should treat your Social Security number as confidential information and avoid giving it out unnecessarily. You should keep your Social Security card in a safe place with your other important papers. Do not carry it with you unless you need to show it to an employer or service provider.

We do several things to protect your number from misuse. For example, we require and carefully inspect proof of identity from people who apply to replace lost or stolen Social Security cards, or for corrected cards. One reason we do this is to prevent people from fraudulently obtaining Social Security numbers to establish false identities. We maintain the privacy of Social Security records unless:

* The law requires us to disclose information to another government agency; or
* Your information is needed to conduct Social Security or other government health or welfare program business.

You should be very careful about sharing your number and card to protect against misuse of your number. Giving your number is voluntary even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask:

* Why your number is needed;
* How your number will be used;
* What happens if you refuse; and
* What law requires you to give your number.

The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10002.html#protect

spotcatbug
2008-07-09, 08:15
Well, I guess that answers my question about ordering an iPhone online and activating at home (like with the 1st gen).

iPhone is officially just another cell phone. Ok, it's Apple's cell phone, but still.