PDA

View Full Version : ISO Email provider that I can use my own domain name

turtle
2008-07-08, 22:14
I'm pretty annoyed that my host is on most spam blacklists meaning about half of my emails are never delivered and I never end up getting any indication of such. One of the organizations I volunteer with changed firewalls and with that change my email is being blocked. I don't really care much about it if it was only one place but the problem is I have no idea how many other places aren't getting my email. So now I'm looking at the option of hosting my own or paying for a service that will give my IMAP and also have great uptime.

If I host myself it's going to cost me an extra $40 per month to just get me a static IP and all ports opened from my ISP. I know I can do port forwarding and all that, but I'm really wanting this to be as solid as .Mac, Yahoo, Gmail, etc but with my own domain name. I also don't want a limit on the number of accounts and such. I'm cool with "standard" quotas and attachment limits.

I just renewed with my account with my shared host, though I can leave it if I needed to. I would rather just leave my web hosting with them for my ease. I'm really just looking for my options. So what are some solid options I can use to keep my email stable and not blocked.

danielsza
2008-07-08, 22:21
I think I've said it before but Dyndns has a outbound email program they only limit you to 100/per day but you can always buy more... I used to use the it, i think it's like $24/year for 100 emails/day.... it'll work with your sme server, there's a setting for it in server-manager

Kickaha
2008-07-08, 22:39
Why not Gmail itself?

kieran
2008-07-08, 22:39
I really don't have much experience with this, but couldn't you just use Google Apps for you Domain?

I was under the impression that your situation would work perfectly with that.

But again, I don't really know for sure.

turtle
2008-07-08, 23:05
I think I've said it before but Dyndns has a outbound email program they only limit you to 100/per day but you can always buy more... I used to use the it, i think it's like $24/year for 100 emails/day.... it'll work with your sme server, there's a setting for it in server-manager

I'm just not sure I want that hassle of managing my own email. SME has been rock solid for me though so it might be a good option. I'm just not sure I want to be responsible for my own email. I'm more moving to relieve myself of some of the computer tasking I've created for myself. Ya know, simplify. :)
Why not Gmail itself?

I really don't have much experience with this, but couldn't you just use Google Apps for you Domain?

I was under the impression that your situation would work perfectly with that.

But again, I don't really know for sure.

I didn't know Gmail can do this. Is there a link? I have a Gmail account, but it's not @mydomain.com. Is that possible with Gmail?

torifile
2008-07-08, 23:12
It's now possible with Google Apps. I just set it up for my site today. http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

turtle
2008-07-08, 23:16
It's now possible with Google Apps. I just set it up for my site today. http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

I was just looking there. My only concern at this point would be ads or a $50/user account/year. I'm not sure I'd want the ads. I have a couple of domain names though. I think I'll throw one of my less used ones on to it to test it out.

Thanks for the tips on Gmail. I had no idea they offered this service. Are there any other ideas?

Kickaha
2008-07-09, 07:47
What ads? :err: I assume they only appear in the Gmail browser UI, and not in the actual emails you send out, right?

There are only two reasons I haven't jumped on Gmail...

1) Their labels don't play well with folders in Mail.app. Not really. You end up with wonky behavior at times. While I can live with it, I'm not sure if my other users can.

2) Waiting to see if MobileMe offers something similar, since they now offer web domain hosting, which I've already moved to.

torifile
2008-07-09, 08:56
I was just looking there. My only concern at this point would be ads or a $50/user account/year. I'm not sure I'd want the ads. I have a couple of domain names though. I think I'll throw one of my less used ones on to it to test it out.

Thanks for the tips on Gmail. I had no idea they offered this service. Are there any other ideas?
They've got a free service without ads, I believe. I just set up the calendar and I don't have any ads. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?

turtle
2008-07-09, 10:27
It looks like the ads are only visible in the webmail portion. I'm not seeing any adds on my phone nor in Mail.app. I can handle ads in the webmail since I never user it. :)

HitchHykr
2008-07-15, 16:52
Look at webhosting services, they usually bundle email service with a number of primary email accounts and unlimited aliases. I have a couple of domains with nothing on the website (someday I'll get to it! 5+ yrs. and counting) and I only use the email service. You could find something really cheap at less than $60/yr.

turtle
2008-07-15, 21:47
That's what I have now and the IMAP sucks.

So far though, my test run with Google Apps and my "spare" domain are working good. This might be an answer for me. I'm just not sure I want Google to have access to my email. They are all about gathering information after all. :\

Yonzie
2008-08-02, 18:38
I'm also in the market for a good full-service email provider (and only email) for several domains (few users though).
For various reasons, I'd rather skip Google. However, I require good anti-spam measures comparable to what Gmail has (or at least in the ballpark).
Any Suggestions?