PDA

View Full Version : Buying an iPhone - Switching from Vodafone to O2

MagSafe
2008-07-28, 05:26
Hey all,

I'm going to be getting an iPhone in the next couple of weeks. The only thing holding me back now is the process of transfering my current number which I've had for 5-6 years on Vodafone to O2. I'm only on 'pay as you go' at the moment, so there's no contract to worry about.

I believe I need to phone up Vodafone and ask them for a PAC number, then go into either an Apple or O2 store with that when I purchase the iPhone?

O2 say on their website it'll take a couple of days for my number to be changed over, and they'd give me a temporary number in the meantime, but I could probably hold out for a "couple of days", as giving out a new number to everyone only for 2 or 3 days would just be a hassle (IMO).

Has anyone else gone through this process? I'd be interested to know how complicated it was, and how long it took.

Dave
2008-07-28, 05:54
Has anyone else gone through this process? I'd be interested to know how complicated it was, and how long it took.

Switching from T-Mobile to Cingular (now AT&T) over here in the USA was quick and painless. It didn't take too long at all. They had dire warnings that it might be several millennia before the number actually switched over, but IIRC it was around 45 minutes. YMMV.

Kohoutek
2008-07-28, 08:14
I switched from a Virgin 'pay as you go' to an O2 iPhone keeping my number, it was very straight forward. I contacted Virgin who sent the PAC code to me in the post, then bought my iPhone from Carphone Warehouse where they gave it the temporary number. I then phoned O2 who took the PAC code and the number I wanted to keep, they told me what day it would be changed, two working day time, and advised me that the changeover would be quicker if the phone was turned off during that day.

I turned both phones off the night before and by 2pm the next day the number was switched. Be sure to copy all your contacts or messages you need to keep to your new phone, as once the old SIM is deactivated you can't use the phone.

I'm very happy with the iPhone and with the service from O2 and Carphone Warehouse, they did badger me a little as I did not want to take out their insurance but since I made it clear to them I was not interested I have not heard from them.

MagSafe
2008-07-28, 09:06
Thanks for the info :)

Were you able to keep on using your Virgin number within those 2 days before it got changed, whilst having the temporary number?

Steve.

Yontsey
2008-07-28, 09:36
Yeah, you typically can. When I switched from T-Mobile to at&t, it took about 4 hour for it to full port over, and that was launch day.

I could still access my sidekick until everything fully ported over. I was able to receive and make calls and still go online and all that stuff.

MagSafe
2008-07-28, 09:50
Ah ok, so it's really just a day you would be 'unreachable' for then, this sounds fine :)

I'll phone up Vodafone and request a PAC number tonight sometime then and head on over to the O2 store at the weekend probably.

Thanks again for all the info :)

P.S Has anyone managed to get a 16GB white model yet from an O2 store?

Kohoutek
2008-07-28, 09:50
Yes my Virgin phone did work until the change over day, although they seemed a very long two days. Leaving my new iPhone at home and having to take my grotty old Sony Ericsson out with me was almost torture. ;)

Kohoutek
2008-07-28, 10:40
When I bought my 8GB just over a week ago they had very limited supplies, they were only getting about five 8GB in at a time and a couple of 16GB ones. It might be worthwhile giving the shop a call and asking them to contact you when they have some in. Fortunately for me I work very close to Carphone Warehouse so they phoned me to say they had some in and I went to pick it up within the hour.

beardedmacuser
2008-07-28, 12:17
I was in a Carphone Warehouse at the weekend, thinking of upgrading the girlfriend's original iPhone to a 16 GB iPhone 3G (and then I'll get her old phone!). They had plenty of stock of both 8 and 16 GB models. Maybe folk don't want to waste their time in phone shops on a nice sunny weekend.

MagSafe
2008-07-28, 12:39
Just phoned up there to get my PAC code.

I mentioned to them it's because I'm transferring over to O2, and they immediately replied with "to get the iPhone?", I replied "yeah?", and the response I got was quite amusing... "why sir? do you know the iPhone has got a bad reputat".......CAN I GET MY PAC CODE PLEASE (me), "hmph, if you don't mind sir, can I offer you a better model on our network?", "CAN I GET MY PAC CODE".

I guess the guy must've been told to say that, and probably says that to every customer who phone's up, but even still it's hardly fair play saying, and I quote "the iPhone has got a bad reputation". The directors at the other networks can't be very happy with O2 at the moment :p

Anyway, after all that he was fine and gave me my PAC code straight away over the phone :)

MagSafe
2008-07-30, 07:30
Went and bought my iPhone last night from an O2 store.

They said the process normally takes 48hrs , so hopefully by Friday night I should have my number changed over. The girl also said I was really lucky to get one. They'd had 8GB's in stock all week, but only recieved 5x 16GB's that night, and there sold almost as soon as they come in.

How good is the iPhone though? :D Just being able to surf the net anywhere is worth the contract alone IMO.

nikstar101
2008-07-30, 13:53
I just had my number ported over today. I received a text message saying my number will be ported on this date(two days away) and then it can take 24 hours for the port to take place. But in reality, my old phone stopped working and my new iPhone had the ported number immediately. The only inconvenience was that it had to have two phones for the day because you don't know when they will actually port the number.

Its all good so far. i have a 16Gb model and it is great although i do think the software is a little buggy compared to the previous iPhone software.

MagSafe
2008-07-30, 14:15
I just had my number ported over today. I received a text message saying my number will be ported on this date(two days away) and then it can take 24 hours for the port to take place. But in reality, my old phone stopped working and my new iPhone had the ported number immediately. The only inconvenience was that it had to have two phones for the day because you don't know when they will actually port the number.

Its all good so far. i have a 16Gb model and it is great although i do think the software is a little buggy compared to the previous iPhone software.

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

I'm already finding it annoying taking 2 phone's around with me :p

I got a text message on the way back from work finally enough saying they'll port the number on Friday, so all's good :)

The software does seem a little buggy, I'd agree. When opening the Contacts app it can a few seconds to register your touch commands which I find a little annoying at times, hopefully they'll fix this in the 2.1 release.

scratt
2008-07-30, 20:35
Just wait until you try and leave O2 (because you are fed up with their cruddy service) and the amount of hassle they make you go through to take your number with you then... O2 are the worst phone network in the UK.

<insert Star Wars 'It's a Trap' picture>

If I still lived in the UK I'd go with a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone without hesitation, rather than move to O2.

MagSafe
2008-07-31, 03:32
If I still lived in the UK I'd go with a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone without hesitation, rather than move to O2.

I haven't had any problems with them so far. One thing that is incredibly good though is when I was on vodafone I didn't get any signal what so ever in work. Now I get 2 bars of reception on 3G, and full reception on Edge, so I can finally make calls and send texts whilst sitting at my desk :D

Practically all the networks have their good and bad points, Vodafone insulted the iPhone(!) and gave me so much grief when requesting my PAC number (as I said above).

nikstar101
2008-08-01, 17:30
Actually i have found O2 to be no worse than Orange, my previous network. In the old day Orange used to rule, with its customer service but in the past couple of years it has really gone down hill.

My friend who was on vodaphone has left and moved to O2 since vodaphone seem to rip you off. Quite frankly they are all about as bad as each other. I just go for the tariff and the phone, forgot which network it is.

MagSafe
2008-08-03, 17:13
Quite frankly they are all about as bad as each other. I just go for the tariff and the phone, forgot which network it is.

I'd have to agree with that. I've only ever been on O2 & Vodafone since owning a phone, and both have been pretty good to be honest. I was on Vodafone for the past 5 years and they were fine, mind you I've never had a contract before.

Thought I'd make a quick post to say that my Vodafone number was successfully ported over to O2 on Friday. So all is good so far on the iPhone :) Loving the texting, I can see why Apple have made it almost identical to iChat, you can forget very easily that your effectively paying for each message.