PDA

View Full Version : Free Zune: Keep or Sell?

BenP
2008-08-03, 18:13
I was given a Zune as a gift (the 4 GB flash model). It's brand new, but my sister pulled the screen-protection sticker off the front and it's not shrink wrapped, so I doubt I can exchange it at a store. Obviously I'd prefer an iPod, but the thing looks decent and it has an integrated FM player, which I like. Against that is the lack of iTunes integration (not to mention I'd have to sync through Parallels, although I don't have much music so I won't need to do that very often) and the narrower screen. Is it worth the hassle to sell it and pay the difference for a 4GB nano?

Kyros
2008-08-03, 19:27
Depends on your idea of "worth it." Judging by its (lack of) popularity, you will probably have to put in a good amount of effort for a pretty bad price.

However, first of all, I'd try to return it anyway. Second, have you used an iPod before? If you have, you should be able to gauge pretty quickly if think you can live with the Zune. Finally, in my personal opinion, it's worth it. If the cost is an issue for you, you can get refurb Nanos from $99, or at least you can every once in a while.

Good luck :).

macleod
2008-08-04, 19:39
Keep it. It isn't worth the effort required to sell it considering how little they seem to sell for. You can use it to just work out with or as a MP3 player you don't have to worry about general wear and tear from heavy use. :D

psmith2.0
2008-08-04, 19:58
You probably couldn't sell it, being the silly hunk of poo that it is (does anyone have a grip on that store thing yet? The points/credits, etc. You're sent a Song Promiseā„¢ voucher, you then run around the house twice, clockwise, you receive two points, and then you buy a basketball and redeem that at Burger King or Linens & Things and it becomes 3.5 song credits, but only for acts on Arista Records, etc. That was as close as I could peg it until my head blew up... :err: ).

Just give it to some Windows-using buddy. You make their day, and you get the silly thing off your hands.

It's what they call a "win-win" in the business world.

:p

Taskiss
2008-08-05, 06:49
Yeah, I'd give it as a gift to someone, also.

Kraetos
2008-08-05, 10:27
You regifting bastards.

dbcdenver
2008-08-06, 09:52
C'mon - keep it! I know that Zune isn't part of the True Gospel of Steven Jobs, but I do believe it plays music just fine.

kieran
2008-08-06, 10:04
But it also involves going into Parallels/Boot Camp/ VM Fusion just to put that music on there.

It's not worth it to keep it if you want to use it, but I'd keep it around just to have. I don't think the Zune will last mush longer.

psmith2.0
2008-08-06, 10:33
C'mon - keep it! I know that Zune isn't part of the True Gospel of Steven Jobs, but I do believe it plays music just fine.

It doesn't have to be "part of the True Gospel of Steven Jobs" :err: but it isn't as slick and easy-to-use as an iPod. Yeah, it "plays music just fine", but how easy or convenient is it?

:confused:

scratt
2008-08-06, 11:05
Just give it back. Think Different. Make a statement. :)

BenP
2008-08-09, 09:29
Well, it was a gift from a company so I'm not giving it back. I think I will try to exchange it and if I don't have any luck I'll keep it. I don't know anyone whom I dislike enough to regift a Zune to.

BenP
2008-08-09, 15:22
Neither Wal-Mart nor Best Buy would take it back, so I'm keeping it. Setup was painless (except for how slow Parallels runs on my MacBook), and there was no problem syncing music stored on my Mac partition. The software is an absolute clusterfuck compared to iTunes, though.

psmith2.0
2008-08-09, 15:46
The few times I've dealt with one, that was my impression. Such a complete 180 from what I'm used to. They can copy the general look and vibe, but they always miss the underlying foundation it seems.