PDA

View Full Version : Procedure for selling an original iPhone 1.1.4

veryamusing
2008-08-03, 21:42
Okay, so last night I stood up without realizing I had my first-gen 8 GB iPhone on my lap and it fell about 24” onto a tile floor. There was no obvious damage, but I realized some time later that the home button and microphone had stopped working. Although neither of my local Genius Bars had any appointments today, I arrived right when one was opening and was able to be seen. The Genius took one look and no questions asked swapped it out for a refurbished one with 1.1.4 on it.

I don’t know why, but I thought iPhones that hadn’t been upgraded to 2.0 were somehow more valuable. Accordingly, I went back to the store and upgraded to a 16 GB iPhone 3G. I want to sell the refurbished 1.1.4 model to pay for the new iPhone 3G, but am unsure if I should unlock it first and do I need to remove the SIM or include it? As far as I know there’s no personal information on the replacement iPhone, except for whatever is contained on the SIM card that the Genius pulled out of my original iPhone.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/thoughts/suggestions! :)

zippy
2008-08-04, 09:51
I'm looking for one for my wife - what are you looking to get from this one? I'm not interested in any over-inflated pricing, so if you are looking to maximize your dollar, then you'd have better luck on eBay or something. But if you want to sell at a reasonable price, then I might be able to make this easier for you.

Lyngo
2008-08-04, 11:02
very and zippy --

I am in the same boat. I don't want to be paying the $30 data fee per month required on the iPhone 3G, so I am interested as well.

Mancomb Seepgood
2008-08-04, 11:36
How much are they going for on eBay?

(I'd look myself, but it is blocked here at the office.)

PB PM
2008-08-04, 11:47
$500+ on flebay.

Mancomb Seepgood
2008-08-04, 12:11
Damn!

I sold mine for a $100 bucks to my buddy. I could have cleaned up...

PB PM
2008-08-04, 12:27
Yeah they are going for a lot, I was looking at an unlocked one since I just wanted to keep using my prepaid phone plan, but not at those prices.

zippy
2008-08-04, 13:03
I wish I could just switch to AT&T and make the whole thing easier, but they don't have any presence in MT. We only recently (2 years ago) had a local carrier switch their technology to GSM so I have a 1st Gen iPhone unlocked on 2.0 working very well. My wife would kinda like to get one, and I'd like to get her one, but neither of us are that hard up to pay way more than these things are worth.

I think the max I'd be willing to pay for it at this point is $299 for a new/refurb 8 GB ($399 if it were a 16 GB). That would essentially make your new 3G phone a free upgrade. Let me know via PM if you're interested veryamusing. If not, good luck with whatever you decide.

veryamusing
2008-08-04, 17:44
Thanks to everyone for your replies!

:)

Those are crazy prices! I don't want to deal with the eBay/Craigslist shenanigans, and am willing to accept a slightly lower price for that reason...

;)