PDA

View Full Version : Here is decision

Souflay123
2008-08-04, 12:31
So I bought the 199 iPhone on July 11th, after nearly a month of ATT hell on earth. Call wait three days, get yelled at, do a bit of yelling myself, get told to go into a ATT corporate store the store tells me that I need to call 611 from my phone, and once I call 611 from my phone I am told to go into ATT corporate store. It was a nightmare! So on sunday I went to apple and returned my iPhone to the apple store, BTW Sherman Oaks nicest group of people I have ever meet, they waved the 15% restocking fee b/c ATT was being dicks. So last sunday I left the Apple Store and went to t-mobile and bought a shadow. So today I am informed, and I take this with a grain of salt, that the account is fixed b/c I left and went to T-Mobile.

So here is the dilemma, do I stay with t-mobile, or do I return the shadow and go buy my iPhone.

The pros of staying with tmobile:
slightly better cell signal
I can use my work email b/c the shadow is windows mobile
nicer people in the store.

The Cons of staying with T-Mobile
I cant Sync with my Mac
I cant Sync with my work Computer
It is running windows mobile
If the phone is lost i dont have to do a claim under my renters insurance

The pros of ATT
I get a iphone
I really never have to deal with att, at least in regards to my phone
I can sync it with my mac
I dont have to go buy an ipod

The Cons of ATT
It is ATT
I cant use my work email
It is ATT
It is ATT
It is ATT
It is ATT
and a few more... It is ATT, It is ATT, It is ATT
:no: :err: :\ :| ;) :lol: :( :confused: :confused: :D :p :no: :cancer: :devil: :mad:

Wyatt
2008-08-04, 12:36
Why can't you do work e-mail on the iPhone? The 2.0 software release supports exchange (it works great on my iPod touch), and I can't think of any other e-mail systems that require Windows.

bassplayinMacFiend
2008-08-04, 12:45
Lotus Notes Mail?

PKIDelirium
2008-08-04, 12:56
Ugh, Lotus. It needs to go to software hell.

Taskiss
2008-08-04, 13:07
Ugh, Lotus. It needs to go to software hell.Notes is not bad, and it allows POP and LDAP just fine. I'm not a big fan of the mail client, but that doesn't negatively influence me from appreciating the other server capabilities. I did Notes admin on an AIX UNIX box for a couple of years and it fed my kids... ;)

Souflay123
2008-08-04, 13:07
It is more about allstate's security that they are using, at this very moment you are unable to use the allstate email on anything other than a windows mobile phone/pda. Also Allstate is currently using outlook for there email. I would be able to set it up for a Blackberry or iPhone if I was able to get the POP info, but they will not give that out.

Kickaha
2008-08-04, 13:10
Notes is not bad, and it allows POP and LDAP just fine.

Notes allows it 'just fine', as long as your IT dept doesn't TURN OFF ALL THE NON-PROPRIETARY BITS.

Notes itself is an abomination, a horrible UI slapped on top of a usage model that was innovative 20 years ago, but has been surpassed by frickin *FREE* systems now. I have yet to meet a single person who likes Notes. Tolerate? Once in a while I'll run across someone who can do that, but NO ONE uses it voluntarily. The security model is a joke, the robustness is non-existent, and at every turn it seems they did things in the most slipshod, half-assed, brain-dead way possible. There is literally not a single good thing I can think of to say about it, from the outer UI to the inner core, and I use it every day.

Dear Notes: Die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die, DIE. In a fire. With marshmallows.

(Yes, I'm currently waiting on Notes to do it's normal "ooooh gee, I should go check with the server that *I KNOW IS DOWN AGAIN*, so I'll lock the UI for the next 6 minutes until I time out because I'm too fucking braindead to keep track of these things, even though all you wanted to do was scroll a window of data that is locally cached...", why do you ask?? I've been trying to look up a single piece of email for 45 minutes now. This is considered normal.)

I mean seriously, the apps we get for free with MacOS X are lightyears ahead of Notes when it comes to stability, UI, and just plain fucking GET YOUR WORK DONE. I'm convinced the only way anyone buys this piece of shit is because they're getting blowjobs from the sales force. Seriously, I can't think of any other rational reason why anyone would buy this. It blows. Put it this way, it's bad enough that if I'm given a job offer at a company that uses it, in the way it's configured here, I'd reconsider the offer. There's no sense making my life unnecessarily painful.

Banana
2008-08-04, 13:16
Dear Notes: Die, die, die, die, die, die, die, die, DIE. In a fire. With marshmallows.

In that case, stop slacking and do your job. You know, actually the drive bus.

Geez, some people!

;)

Kickaha
2008-08-04, 13:19
In that case, stop slacking and do your job. You know, actually the drive bus.

Geez, some people!

;)

Don't pooch me mon, or you're goin' under the tires!

Sufficiently OT now? :)

Can you tell I voted for "Drink, drink a lot"?

Banana
2008-08-04, 13:27
Don't pooch me mon, or you're goin' under the tires!

Then quit yer pissin' & whinin'

the drive bus.

:err: :lol:

Erm, right; topic.

Souflay, I think the real question ought to be, do you really need to work with your work computer off site? If you can just punch out and forget about it, I'd go for whatever make you happiest to use. Else, I'd just stick to what is recommended by the company.

Kickaha
2008-08-04, 13:28
:err: :lol:

I think you started early on the drinking. :lol:

Souflay123
2008-08-04, 14:26
Souflay, I think the real question ought to be, do you really need to work with your work computer off site? If you can just punch out and forget about it, I'd go for whatever make you happiest to use. Else, I'd just stick to what is recommended by the company.

In some reality I do need my work email on my phone, but at the point i need my work email i usually also need my computer so i just pull out the pro and get online.

It is more about should i go back to the bastards that are ATT wireless, or is putting up with windows mobile on tmobile worth fully telling ATT to screw off, but not having a iPhone at all?.?.?

Robo
2008-08-04, 15:29
I don't think "It's AT&T" is a valid reason not to go with AT&T. Is there a reason you hate AT&T with such a fiery passion?

Souflay123
2008-08-04, 16:05
I returned the phone I used my upgrade for 29 days after I bought it, it has taken them nearly a month to "try" to put my upgrade eligibility back on to my account. Then as a final straw the customer service person informed me that I needed to go into a att store in order to reverse the contract, so I went into a store and was informed that I needed to call customer service. On Sunday in a last effort on my part I went got a copy of the receipt from where i returned the phone, and went into att to resolve the issue and was again treated like dirt and informed that they can not do anything that i must wait for someone to call me back and during this time they will not give me a credit to buy a phone with or a temp phone during my wait for att to call me back, and that this entire issue is my own fault. This fuels my fiery hate for att

Kyros
2008-08-06, 02:13
I don't see why you would stay with a company who's service you are unhappy with. Especially if the only downside is not using an iPhone. The iPhone is great and all, but it sounds like it's not worth the effort in your case.

turtle
2008-08-06, 08:54
I can say that I've never had the issues with AT&T here on the east coast. But if I had to deal with what you are I wouldn't stay with them. As for the email, can't you set you mail to forward to another account? You could then at least get your email and reply later when you could get back to your system. Kind of a work around, but I'm sure Allstate will open up to iPhones in the near future.

kretara
2008-08-06, 09:39
Don't let your work talk you into buying a crackberry.
If you are required to access your work email from your phone, the the company will need to supply you with the phone and data plan.
My employer has tried this shit with me since I'm responsible for a 24x7x365 application.
They wanted me to buy a crackberry with my own money and use it for work. They kindly offered to pay $30 month for the data plan.
I told them no. If having a crackberry is that important, then they need to take care of it for me. I have no interest in becoming even more of a corporate slave than I already am.

They then tried to force me to wear a beeper (no issue here), but I had to agree to a 20 minute response time 24x7.
I again said no thanks. I could not guarantee that I would always be 20 minutes from an internet connection and if support for the 24x7x365 application was that important ( :D ) they should hire 2-3 more people to assist in the support and have rotating call schedules.

I suggested that I would agree to have the crackberry and guarantee a 20 minute response time IF they bumped my salary to $250,000/yr (since I'll be working 24x7x365). Never got a response back on that.

When you leave work...LEAVE WORK. Don't let your job push you to work constantly.

turtle
2008-08-06, 10:55

When you leave work...LEAVE WORK. Don't let your job push you to work constantly.

This is actually why I left tech work and now work retail. I can assure you that I don't get the upset customer calling my "work" phone in the middle of the night for me to fix something. While I do miss being a tech, I'm enjoying my life again now.

Great advice, leave work at work.