PDA

View Full Version : buy used powerbook or new macbook?

sababa
2008-08-06, 15:34
hi. i have not much money and need a laptop (as a second computer--have an iMac G5 as well). I will use it mostly for writing, run no heavy programs and don't need much storage. Is it better to shell out the $1100 and buy a new macbook or spend $600 on a powerbook from 2004/5, which seems to be the going rate? or be even stingier and by a 2004 ibook? i'm wondering how many more years of use will i get from a pb g4 and what is the qualitative difference between it and an ibook, powerbook and macbook. any help would be much appreciated!

PB PM
2008-08-06, 15:38
If you are just witting and doing some light net browsing, consider picking up one of the ultra portables with Linux, they are a lot cheaper ($300-$600 range).

Luca
2008-08-06, 15:45
If you are just witting and doing some light net browsing, consider picking up one of the ultra portables with Linux, they are a lot cheaper ($300-$600 range).

Agreed.

MacBooks are good computers, but $1100 is just too much to spend on something that you want to use as a supplemental computer. And I would never buy a used laptop unless I absolutely trusted the previous owner.

If you get a new computer, you won't have to worry about things breaking (warranty), the battery dying (warranty, and it comes with a new battery), or software support (PPC Macs are outdated and Apple's doing their best to kill them off as soon as possible).

So yeah, get an Asus Eee-PC or that HP one that's similar to it.

apple007
2008-08-06, 17:24
hi. i have not much money and need a laptop (as a second computer--have an iMac G5 as well). I will use it mostly for writing, run no heavy programs and don't need much storage. Is it better to shell out the $1100 and buy a new macbook or spend $600 on a powerbook from 2004/5, which seems to be the going rate? or be even stingier and by a 2004 ibook? i'm wondering how many more years of use will i get from a pb g4 and what is the qualitative difference between it and an ibook, powerbook and macbook. any help would be much appreciated!

I've used a PB G4 17" for 4-plus years and it's been great, but I'd avoid buying a PB at this point given that Apple has moved away from PowerPC, and PBs (reportedly) won't be able to run the forthcoming Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6).

Beyond that, you seem to have skipped an option -- What about a used MacBook? I've seen used MBs in the $600 to $800 range on eBay, and Apple, today, has a refurb MB(s) selling for $899.

Agreed.

MacBooks are good computers, but $1100 is just too much to spend on something that you want to use as a supplemental computer. And I would never buy a used laptop unless I absolutely trusted the previous owner.

If you get a new computer, you won't have to worry about things breaking (warranty), the battery dying (warranty, and it comes with a new battery), or software support (PPC Macs are outdated and Apple's doing their best to kill them off as soon as possible).

So yeah, get an Asus Eee-PC or that HP one that's similar to it.

Unless the $200 savings is just too good to resist, don't listen to these heathens.

I'm assuming you asked about PB vs. MB because you want to run the Mac OS regardless. You can probably get an MB in the $600 to $800 range if you make an effort online, or you can get one straight from Apple for $899. And if you can wait a little longer, if the rumored MB/MBP refresh happens in the next few weeks as expected, there should be a flood of used MBs hitting resale channels.

Dorian Gray
2008-08-06, 17:37
I also have an old PowerBook, and I would vastly prefer such a machine to an Asus Eee PC or the like, even for just writing. But I consider OS X to be exceptionally productive and satisfying to use compared to all other operating systems. You may disagree.

If I were buying a PowerBook I would definitely want to know something about its past, or at least trust the seller to some extent. As you note, they're still very expensive these days (outrageously so for a 4-year-old computer with a totally outclassed processor with a doomed architecture), so you don't want to end up with a machine that starts hiccuping as soon as you get it. Old laptops are always a big risk in any case.

psmith2.0
2008-08-06, 18:02
I agree with Apple007...try to find a used or refurb MacBook. I've seen them online in various places (individuals and companies) for $650 or so. Might not be current-generation models, but still Intel Core Duo, built-in iSight, etc.

On its worst day it would probably run rings around any PowerBook (and certainly be a lot more "future-proof"). And, I'm sorry, but the OS (Mac OS X, specifically) trumps any and all hardware configurations or offerings, so even if I could get a notebook of some sort of $399 or whatever, it's not going to be a Mac. And that means something to me. I don't want to learn, or screw with, another OS at this point, frankly.

And I assume, since you're posting here at an Apple-oriented forum and the only two options you list were both Macs, that you (wisely) aren't really interested in another OS. Go with what you know and like (and what works, with a minimum of - if any - hassle, and you don't need to have a degree in Geek to get the most out of).

I echo both 007 and Dorian Gray's advice above...think long and hard about a PowerBook (be sure you know what's what before taking that plunge, and realize what it is and what it represents, architecturally), and, instead, do some poking around for a used, closeout or refurb MacBook that's less than 18 months old for your best, safest bet).

It's what I'd do, if I found myself in your position. I personally wouldn't consider a used PowerBook and I sure as hell wouldn't be getting an Asus or whatever-the-hell-book either.

And I know I'm going to hear about it now, and catch holy hell for such a statement (I expect Luca, Roboman and a few others to commence jumping on my nuts any minute now :p ), but I don't care...I'm a Mac user and huge fan of the OS for a reason; and I'm not in a hurry to give that up for the sake of "getting something cheap". A quality, user-friendly OS overrides "affordability" or "insanely compact design", in my universe. Always has, always will.

:)

Luca
2008-08-06, 18:18
The reason I'm recommending a cheap, compact thing like the Eee isn't because I'm a Mac-hating Windows user (even though I am... :D jk). For a regular laptop, I would definitely at least include an Apple among my recommendations. This is mainly a question of using the right tool for the job. For what you are planning to do with it, the OS really doesn't matter. OS X is great, but it seems like overkill for something that's going to be doing a pretty basic job. What you're looking for is a basic computer for simple tasks, but you want it to do those simple tasks very well.

You know, though, if you're going to be writing... see if you can try out whatever you end up getting in person before you buy it. Take a look at how the software works and, perhaps most importantly, how the keyboard feels.

I'm not asking you to disregard everyone's advice but mine. Just take it all into account when you make your decision. My argument is that, if you're basically going to be using it as a glorified notebook, why not get something a bit cheaper and more compact? A used MacBook would certainly work great for what you want to do, but if all you're going to do is some writing, do you really need one? BTW, that "glorified notebook" comment is not meant as an insult - I hate writing by hand and would almost certainly get some sort of small laptop for myself if I ever had to write outside the office.

Also, keep in mind that 709 and I aren't recommending a Windows machine over a Mac. That would be simply a matter of personal preference, and Windows is just as overkill for a small mobile computer as OS X (not to mention all the advantages of buying a Windows machine melt away with those types of products). The Eee and others use some sort of simplified Linux OS, and I'm not sure anyone here has even used it. How can you comment on usability? It might not be as pretty as OS X, but I doubt it's very difficult to use, being so simple.

psmith2.0
2008-08-06, 18:20
I know.

Some people have a knack (and tolerance) for that stuff. The original poster might (the idea of a new, different and non-Mac OS might not be a big deal for him, for all we know...but he didn't give that indication in the opening post, so I kept it all in the Mac realm only because he didn't open that door himself; I hate asking for advice/info about a specific item, and then getting answers about eight different things I never even talked about :D ). For me, however, it's a deal-killer...because I'm a set-in-my-ways, OS X-loving kinda guy (and not a huge fan of "learning something new from the ground-up at 39-years-old, after 15 years of something I already know and like".

:)

That's all.

As for the OS on those little machines, they might be okay for what he's doing. But I know what I know. I'd hate to got locked into something too simple and basic because that might have some weird downsides too. At least with one of the Macs, you're getting a full-fledged, no apologies/shortcuts computer. That might be worth it to some.

He (the original poster) will know what's best for him, and proceed accordingly. I may be totally wrong in assuming he's a "Mac only" type of person? I'm allowed to be wrong once or twice a year.

:p

apple007
2008-08-06, 19:07
Adding to my above comments, aside from my opinion the Mac OS X is superior and worth at least a $200 premium over the other options mentioned (even for just writing and online use), it seems like the $200 "savings" between a used MacBook and a non-Apple option could get eaten up rather quickly with just one or two software purchases (or updates), whereas the OP could install whatever he's using on his iMac on the MB.

Beyond that, the MB would be a seamless companion to the iMac -- i.e., could start a project in iWork on the MB and then finish on the iMac, or vice versa -- and it could also serve as a second back-up option for his iTunes library, personal files, etc.

As I've said many times before, how people spend their money is their business, but I wouldn't open the cans of worms a new OS could entail, from a day-to-day usage standpoint, for $200.

psmith2.0
2008-08-06, 19:27
True. All good points that never even occurred to me!

fredgy127
2008-08-06, 20:52
Personally I think it is more reliable to get a new one, if you buy a used one, how can you deal with it if it has any problem.

Luca
2008-08-06, 22:45
Personally I think it is more reliable to get a new one, if you buy a used one, how can you deal with it if it has any problem.

Yeah, I'd go new or refurbished only. Refurbs are fine, but watch out for used laptops.

FFL
2008-08-06, 23:13
Refurb Macbook sounds like the best choice overall. You'll want to immediately max out the RAM, which I'd buy from OWC - www.macsales.com

sababa
2008-08-07, 02:21
thanks everyone for weighing in--though i have the feeling i entered a conversation that started before i even asked my question. as for my loyalty to mac, it's not so much passion for technology that keeps me with mac, but the fact that i am a functioning technological retard. i'd like to keep everything familiar, so that i'm not moving between different systems and so that the two computers get along and share nicely. i'm a writer, so i spend a lot of hours in front of a computer and like the large screen and keyboard of a desktop but after three years of being chained to my living room would now like also mobility.

so, taking all of your advices together, i've decided to nix buying a used pb and am now looking into buying a refurb macbook. if anyone can suggest good sites, i'd be much obliged.

thank you all, it's been an illuminating discussion.

sarah.

Luca
2008-08-07, 02:44
The only place that really sells refurbished Macs is Apple. If you buy one from them, you get a regular factory warranty, same as if you bought a new machine.

In addition to the ones available on Apple's online store (look in the lower left corner; you may have to scroll down), many Apple retail stores also have a small supply of previous models and refurbished ones. Make sure you know how much each configuration costs online, though, before you go for one in an Apple store. You could just check while you're in the store, actually.

FFL
2008-08-07, 03:03
go here:
http://store.apple.com/us
and scroll to the bottom of the page, and look in the left column for this, and click on the Refurbished Mac link: