PDA

View Full Version : I think I may have made an eBay boo-boo....

kieran
2008-08-06, 20:02
Ok, so when I get bored, I sometimes cruise around on eBay.

Today, I put in a bid on an auction.

This is what it was:

1. 1.6ghz MacBook Air with 80GB HDD
2. 1.33ghz 17" PowerBook with 160GB HDD
3. External iSight

Total bid: $2,000.

I actually won this auction, but I didn't mean to. I'm trying to figure out if I can end up turning this around and actually making some money on this.

I figure I can turn around the MBA for at least $1,600. That would leave me with $400 to make up. I'm pretty sure I could get a good price for the PB and iSight.

Would someone please reassure me that I'll be able to do this?

apple007
2008-08-06, 20:21
Strictly speaking, you should be OK based on current resale values, but how much do you know about this package/seller? For one thing, it seems a little odd the same person would own an MBA and a 4-year-old PB. Then there's the age factor of the PB, and the "why is this person selling a (maximum) 6-month-old MBA?" issue.

Then again, 'scates might give you $2,000 for the iSight, so you might in the black already ... :)

kieran
2008-08-06, 20:35
I was worried about the same thing, but the feedback from the seller looked good, so I put in a bid just to throw it out there.

We'll see how it turns out in about a week I guess.

I think I just might send a PM to 'scates to see if he wants it. I'll give him a deal. Only $1900 :)

dmegatool
2008-08-06, 21:30
Geez man... how can you make a 2000$ bid "just to throw it out there". :) Lol. I don't get it. If you don't want it don't bid. Especially if the item cost 2000$ ! :eek:

kieran
2008-08-06, 21:35
I wanted to see how high it would go. I thought it would go over $2000. Now I just have to go and sell them individually and make some money. :)

ThunderPoit
2008-08-08, 15:01
i'll give you $400 for the pbook! :D

Kraetos
2008-08-08, 15:07
Is that iSight still shrink-wrapped? As in, has all the mounts and stuff?

psmith2.0
2008-08-08, 15:16
Then again, 'scates might give you $2,000 for the iSight, so you might in the black already ... :)

Ha, I wish. I'd love to have one, but now isn't a good time (and certainly not for $2,000)...

:p

If I lay out $2,000 for anything, it'll be something like this. (http://www.steviebs.com/images/guitars/gretsch_g6129tau_sparkle_jet.jpg)

;)

Luca
2008-08-08, 16:05
i'll give you $400 for the pbook! :D

I'll throw in an extra buck and take the whole package!

ThunderPoit
2008-08-08, 16:53
k, then ill give you 400 for the pbook, which is $50 more than what i paid you for the last one :)

Fahrenheit
2008-08-08, 16:55
You fail at ebay

Banana
2008-08-08, 17:00
I envision a new game in making:

"E-Bay Chicken"

Just watch. High school teenagers will be flocking about like flies in no time at all.

kieran
2008-08-08, 19:40
well the seller hasn't responded to me, so I think I might be able to get out if this. Plus the fact that be sold the same thing later.

Hopefully this turns out in my favor either way.

RowdyScot
2008-08-08, 19:48
...if you end up selling stuff, how much do you legitimately want for the iSight? Let me know the condition and I'd be willing to negotiate.

kieran
2008-08-11, 12:30
Well the seller got back to me today and said he would ship it tomorrow.

I"m going to go over everything and see what kind of condition they are in.

Looking over prices on eBay, I think I should be able to recover my money and make some money at the same time.

I'lll get back to everyone on here who inquired about buying something before I turn around and sell it on eBay.

rasmits
2008-08-12, 02:02
Cancel the bid... You'll get some negative feedback but at least you won't waste 400$.

One time I made a bid for a camera lense before reading the entire description. Once I read it, I realised I couldn't use it, so I redacted the bid by saying, "Bid was cast by a minor".

Yeah, it's some of what really sucks about eBay: people who fall out on their bids. But sometimes you've just got to do it. I can't belive not only would you bid on an item you never intended on buying but you'd actually go through with it after winning, but I guess if you've got the money...

digitalprimate
2008-08-12, 02:10
Cancel the bid... You'll get some negative feedback but at least you won't waste 400$.

One time I made a bid for a camera lense before reading the entire description. Once I read it, I realised I couldn't use it, so I redacted the bid by saying, "Bid was cast by a minor".

Yeah, it's some of what really sucks about eBay: people who fall out on their bids. But sometimes you've just got to do it. I can't belive not only would you bid on an item you never intended on buying but you'd actually go through with it after winning, but I guess if you've got the money...

I had that happen to me once - I put a GRiD laptop up for sale (very hard to come by, since they're like dino's when it comes to specs) and it turned out the seller didn't know anything about the product (or computers), just clicked the link because he liked the price (it was a i386, and he asked if he would be able to use it for photoshop and for his son to learn computing). So it sucked for me, mainly because I didn't put it up for sale after that (no intrest in it)

ThunderPoit
2008-08-12, 09:49
Kinda late to cancel the bid once the item has been paid for, isnt it?

kieran
2008-08-12, 10:00
Yeah, I should have thought about that beforehand.

But, I think I'm in good shape. I'll probably end up making a little bit of money on it.

ThunderPoit
2008-08-12, 20:38
ok, well, DIBS!

kieran
2008-09-01, 15:04
Alright, just an update.

I put the PowerBook back up on eBay and I got $670 for it. Sorry ThunderPolt, but I made out better on eBay, like I thought I would.

I'm going to put the MBA up sometime this week. Hopefully I can clear enough with that to make up the difference (and so I can keep the iSight :) )

kieran
2008-12-29, 11:03
Just going through some old threads and though I'd update this one.

I put everything back up on eBay and actually ended up making like $30 or $40.

It wasn't a major mistake, but I think I've learned my lesson on how not to place bids on eBay.

turtle
2008-12-29, 12:50
Glad to hear it was a happy ending for you. :)

Gargoyle
2008-12-29, 12:52
I am glad that you managed to make a bit, but lesson learned (and anyone else that cancelled / suggested cancelling bids!).

eBay may look like it came from Fisher-Price's marketing department, but when you place a bid, you are entering a legally binding agreement! Check the specs and ask your questions before you bid. I get fed-up with the number of times I have had to re-list items because people didn't read the advert properly.

I have resorted to making my adverts like this:- (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270319720390) . Do you think the big red box stands out enough? I think that was my 3rd listing attempt!

thegeriatric
2008-12-29, 20:31
Nice result. :)

Brad
2008-12-29, 21:03
I have resorted to making my adverts like this:- (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270319720390) . Do you think the big red box stands out enough? I think that was my 3rd listing attempt!
Wow... how many times did you drop the end of that poor iPhone on the pavement? :confused:

Also, red box looks good to me.

Windswept
2008-12-29, 21:47
I think those dings are from his keys.

Capella
2008-12-29, 22:03
I like the red box; if that doesn't make it stand out, what does?

Also, I understand why a lot of people only ship to verified addresses, but what about when people really need exceptions? Do you eBayers generally allow them if you get a polite message/email explaining why, or no? (For example, my registered address (because it's also the address my bank uses) is in Fl, since that';s my legal residence; but since I'm in NJ 9 mnonths of the year, it's stupid to pay shipping to the auction, have it sent to FL, and then pay my family to ship it a second time up here- not to mention it adds around a week delay.) So, would you ever make exceptions? Or are there that many scammers that the few legitimate people who might need an alt. address are out of luck?

judeobscure
2008-12-30, 15:08
I only allow exceptions providing they do not cost me extra time and money and if they do the buyer understands they will have to foot the bill.
A prime example of such an exception is shipping anything UPS international. UPS just adores mountainous paperwork although nobody at UPS is in agreement as to what paperwork is necessary for what level of service to which country.

dmegatool
2008-12-30, 17:07
Wow... how many times did you drop the end of that poor iPhone on the pavement? :confused:

Yeah but it's listed as "Condition:Used". :lol: Serious I didn't think it was that bad untill I clicked the full version pic. Geez !! What Brad said 10x...