PDA

View Full Version : acer aspire one.

artesc
2008-08-14, 10:26
i'm probably going be getting one of these...http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1502352.

it seems to have pretty decent specs for the price. I'll mostly be using it for Internet surfing/emailing/work and Microsoft Office (excel, word, power point). what do you guys think? should i go for it?

kretara
2008-08-14, 10:38
I would suggest you do some homework on Acer.
Acer has one of the worst reputations around. Heck, they even make HP/Compaq look like quality products.

Google 'acer laptop problems' and have fun reading.

Remember, you do get what you pay for.

I would suggest getting a used Thinkpad (the best non specialty laptop around) or a used Dell (Latitude) if you must stick with ~$400 and with Windows.

PB PM
2008-08-14, 10:54
Acer is better than it was in the past. I've not heard any complaints about the Aspire one. Don't listen to the PC haters.

kretara
2008-08-14, 11:10
I'm not a PC hater. A windows hater...yes.
I have more PC's than Mac's and all but one of the PC's runs Linux.

I have known too many kids ( I used to work at a University ) who had Acer's and they had nothing but issues. I also do computer support on the side (very small business) and I have seen too many train wrecks that were Acer laptops. I'm talking build quality, not OS.

HP/Compaq is not quite as bad as Acer, but they have more than their fair share of issues. We use HP laptops where I work and their reliability is much worse than the Dell Latitudes we used to use, but they are $150/laptop cheaper than the Dell's.

Dell Latitudes are fairly reliable if you baby them.
Thinkpads are almost indestructible.
Toshiba is so-so. It is a 50/50 crapshoot with them as to if you will get a laptop you will never have an issue with or if you get a laptop that will never work reliably.
Sony is expensive and trouble prone as they age.

PB PM
2008-08-14, 11:15
If one is looking for a mini notebook that is affordable (in the $399-499 range) there are three options, ASUS, HP and Acer. The build quality isn't the highest, but considering the price you cannot expect a lot. The Aspire one is there answer to the EEEPC. Personally I would not buy any of them, the screens are way to small.

artesc
2008-08-14, 11:38
well, i'm looking for "netbook" something really small and portable that i can carry easier that my mbp.

I've narrowed it down to the acer aspire one or the msi wind. i know that dell is coming out with the E, I really wasn't too worried about the build quality on the acer, but now you scared me. hmmm. maybe I'll wait for the Dell-E. (ha, ha, deli... sorry) maybe I can find a refurb thinkpad somewhere....but that really isn't too much smaller than my mbp. hmm.

PB PM
2008-08-14, 11:42
The Wind is hard to get your hands on (in Canada anyway). I think the most available model is, pink, and the Wind has a crapy VIA CPU. Take a look at the ASUS E901 or 1000.

kretara
2008-08-14, 11:48
Do you have to buy new?
An older Fujitsu or Sony would also work.
Sony laptops in general don't seem to age very well, but (from my limited experience helping students with picturebooks) the Sony teeny laptops seem to be very reliable.

artesc
2008-08-14, 12:05
The Wind is hard to get your hands on (in Canada anyway). I think the most available model is, pink, and the Wind has a crapy VIA CPU. Take a look at the ASUS E901 or 1000.

doesn't the wind have the Intel Atom, same as the Asus E901 and Acer One?

oh, I have a thing against buying used computers... I don't know how the previous owner treated them. I know, OCD.

PB PM
2008-08-14, 12:33
Yeah, it has the 1.6Ghz Atom, sorry I was thinking of the HP, netbook.

benkraft
2008-08-14, 14:14
I'm currently reviewing the Linux version of the Aspire One (A110L).
For the price, it's okay I guess. To be honest, I liked the MSI Wind that I had here a lot more.
Bigger display, more memory, and it runs Windows XP rather than a modified, closed-off, and obscure version of Linux - in other words, you can install your own apps and have a wider selection.
Granted, the Aspire One is also available with XP and 1 Gig of RAM, but the 8.9" Display is a deal-breaker for me. Also: It's really reflective. Don't like the keyboard much either.

Just to make sure - you know that neither one will get more than about 2.5 hours of battery life (with WiFi enabled), right?

So, in short - if you're deciding between the MSI Wind and the Acer Aspire One, my personal recommendation would be the Wind....

Hope that helps?

artesc
2008-08-14, 14:44
thank's, after reading around a bit I am leaning towards the msi wind too. this is what I've found so far.

CDW.com-- Acer Aspire One, 1.6 GHz Atom processor, 1 GB Ram, Windows XP, 120 GB Harddrive (price. $399)

Newegg-- MSI Wind, 1.6 GHz Atom Processor, 1GB Ram, Windows XP, 80 GB Hard drive ($499)

while the Acer seems a better deal at first at a hundred dollars cheaper and with a bigger hard drive, the Wind comes slightly head with a bigger/better screen, better keyboard and the fact that it can be upgraded to 2 GB of ram (and it's much easier to upgrade the hard drive and ram on the wind than the Acer).

but...I have come up with another solution. The only reason I really want the ultra-portable is primarily for web browsing around my university campus (there's wifi everywhere, I need to keep track of my stocks on a minute by minute basis). I'm am now thinking of purchasing the low end macbook at $999 and getting the free iPod Touch. I will sell the macbook (and come close to breaking even) while getting a free iPod Touch. I can use the iPod touch for internet browsing (stocks) and some light duty typing on google docs (plus i've been looking for an excuse to get an iPod Touch). Obviously I will not have the capabilities of the Wind or Acer, but I'm thinking that it would be an acceptable compromise. (after all, I hardly ever need to type papers or use microsoft office on the go...if I absolutely had to, I could take along my mbp).

now to decide! :)

kretara
2008-08-14, 14:48
If you are considering going the ipod touch route you might also look at the Nokia n810 internet tablet.
These things are awesome. I had an n800 and I loved it.

The n810 runs linux and is fairly powerful. You can do an amazing amount of things with it.

luxuryreplica
2008-08-15, 23:08
Additionally, this link should prove helpful with your decision:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/14/ask-engadget-whats-the-best-netbook-out-there/

artesc
2008-08-16, 00:24
thanks for all the help everyone. I decided on the iPod Touch plus macbook thing. I got the 16 gb one and I'm selling the macbook to one of my dad's friends for 950. all in all, not a bad deal. (hopefully the rebate will get here from the iPod touch!)

again, thanks for the help.