PDA

View Full Version : Need a HD Camcorder--looking for suggesitons

jcoley2
2008-08-25, 11:53
I coach youth football, so every year I film practices and games. I film in HD every since I bought a Sony HDR-HC3 in Sept. 2006, but the damn thing just crapped out. The cassette door will not close and Sony wants a minimum of $541 to fix. Thats' about half what I paid two years ago, so that does not seem to make any sense.

I am looking for new ideas. I need to buy one ASAP as I have my first scrimmage this Saturday. Price under $1500 would be great and ideally around $1000.

Any ideas? This is my first Sony camcorder and I am a little pissed.

Also, I think they have made great strides on digital storage camcorders--should I go this route?

jcoley2
2008-08-25, 12:53
I just returned from Best Buy and seem to be focusing on a camcorder with a HardDrive--no more tapes. My stupid question is:

If I want to permanently store something on the HD, I assume I can download in FCE, and then burn to a DVD. My concern is can I control the quality?

That is, burn to a DVD full HD (MPEG-4, right?) or is it only MPEG-2?

digitalprimate
2008-08-25, 13:14
You can control the quality, but don't underestimate the process of post-production and getting it onto DVD.

It always takes me at least twice as long as I expect (rendering, testing, adjusting) to get things right.

Basically, the more footage you want on a dvd, the lower the quality. Highest quality will probably be around 1hr or so.

I don't know what the export-options to DVD are from FCE. I have Final Cut Studio and use both iDVD and DVD studio Pro.

My next camcorder probably will be either the Canon HV30 or the HF10. I'm considering the tape-based HV30 because I also have a XH-A1, and thus still a lot of miniDVs in my personal archive. The HF10 is much more convenient I think for internetvideo and getting things quickly onto YouTube.

Do you know what you would do with your tapes you already have if you'd choose another format?

I just returned from Best Buy and seem to be focusing on a camcorder with a HardDrive--no more tapes. My stupid question is:

If I want to permanently store something on the HD, I assume I can download in FCE, and then burn to a DVD. My concern is can I control the quality?

That is, burn to a DVD full HD (MPEG-4, right?) or is it only MPEG-2?

DVDs can't be burned into a full HD - you could use them as storage medium, so you would have a quicktime-movie file on there. But then it wouldn't play on every dvd-player anymore, just computers.

jcoley2
2008-08-25, 13:26
Do you know what you would do with your tapes you already have if you'd choose another format?

DAmn, did not even think about that. . .have 8 years of DV tapes. SInce my current machine is broken, I would have no way to view them.

Guess I need to go back to a mini-DV machine. Any recommendations on Canon or Sony?

jcoley2
2008-08-25, 13:37
Also, as I am doing more research, not sure I want to mess with AVCHD. That sounds like betamax to me. Looks like all these hard drive systems use that format.

jcoley2
2008-08-25, 13:54
Looks like if I am going to stick to a mini-DV system, the Canon HV30 looks like the way to go. . .

digitalprimate
2008-08-25, 14:08
If you're happy with Sony (apart from the whole repair-thing at the moment), I'd say maybe give their current camcorders a second look...

jcoley2
2008-08-25, 14:09
If you're happy with Sony (apart from the whole repair-thing at the moment), I'd say maybe give their current camcorders a second look...

Seems like it comes down to Sony HDR-HC9 vs. Canon HV30 and the reviews seem slightly better for the Canon. Also, it's $100 cheaper.

FFL
2008-08-25, 14:26
Also, as I am doing more research, not sure I want to mess with AVCHD. That sounds like betamax to me. Looks like all these hard drive systems use that format.

Yeah... I have had bad experiences with it on client's systems, and I also did a bit of research that I posted here:
http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p=580134&postcount=8
and I definitely had the same thoughts about AVCHD. Highly compressed - which means that importing takes LONGER than real-time.

jcoley2
2008-08-27, 21:43
Bought the Canon HV30. I will let everyone know what I think when I test it out this weekend.

dmegatool
2008-08-27, 22:07
What about the D90 from Nikon ? I will do 720p at 24 frames. Release date is expected around september t though.

I don't know too much about it but I guess that with lens / focus ring/ and all other options from a regular SRL, it will be awsome !

iFerret
2008-08-28, 06:21
What about the D90 from Nikon ? I will do 720p at 24 frames. Release date is expected around september t though.

I don't know too much about it but I guess that with lens / focus ring/ and all other options from a regular SRL, it will be awsome !

No autofocus apparently, otherwise a good option I think.

dmegatool
2008-08-28, 07:33
Yeah I've seen some sample video. The colors and all are great but when it's ajusting exposure, you really see "steps". But I guess you can "exposure lock"... But the image is great !

+ You get a kit ass DSRL.

digitalprimate
2008-08-29, 17:10
Well, if you want to record video, you should get a camcorder.
If you want to shoot nice pictures, get a DSRL.

Often in videomode you can't really do anything but point and shoot - you probably won't be able to zoom in or out during recording and even if you could, probably in crude increments.
Plus, audio options on that piece of equipment will be virtually non-existent.

It's a cool function, but it's nowhere near replacing the real stuff. Sorry, that should be The REAL Stuff™.

Bryson
2008-08-29, 17:24
Why spend lots of money?

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=13063&pq-locale=en_US

People are raving about this thing - it shoots in HD (720p @ 60fps), it's small, pocketable, and it's $180. That's almost disposable...

Moogs
2008-08-29, 22:24
Well, if you want to record video, you should get a camcorder.
If you want to shoot nice pictures, get a DSLR.

+++

FWIW I think I'm going with a Vixia HF11 once they're in stock at B&H. Looks pretty choice all the way around. I know some people prefer a tape-based workflow (HDV) but Nehalem will scoff at the likes of AVCHD processing! ;)