PDA

View Full Version : A/V receiver

torifile
2008-08-25, 22:18
I'm looking to upgrade my current AV setup with a new receiver. I don't want to spend too much money and the following features are all important:

- HDMI upscaling of ALL video signals, including coax when I'm cheaping out on the cable, so I only need one cable to my t.v.
- at least 3 HDMI inputs - I'd like 4 for future proofing
- at least 2 optical audio inputs (unless HDMI audio is better?)

Right now, and for the foreseeable future, I've got:
- PS3
- AppleTV
- Wii (component)
- standard cable (coax)
- VCR (coax)

These are hooked in various ways to my A/V set up. My current receiver doesn't do HDMI, so I've got a switcher to my t.v. (which only has 1 HDMI input) and digital audio from my AppleTV and PS3 to the receiver.

The big problem with my setup, and what complicates the entire thing for us, is that since my receiver only outputs in the format inputted (e.g., component to component), I've got change the input on my t.v. each time I want to use a different device. I'd like to leave the input on the t.v. on HDMI and only have to change the input on the receiver. Does that make sense?

I was looking at this Onkyo (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015S8PGW/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics) and the major complaint is about the remote but that doesn't matter to me since I've got a Universal Remote that I'll be programming to use with it. I'd like to spend as little as possible but I don't want to cheap out on it since cheaping out on my current A/V setup got me to this point in the first place (though, in my defense, I got a kickass Denon system for really cheap - Best Buy price mistake; should have been $600 and I got it for $250!).

Thoughts?

Yontsey
2008-08-26, 02:23
Check out www.onecall.com. They have great prices on there. I bought a Sony receiver from there back in the spring.

HiRez
2008-08-26, 13:33
In your question you don't mention the most important thing - budget :-)
Also your brand of HDTV might be useful to know...

Not knowing your budget I suggest you take a look at Pioneer's A/V systems. I live in Europe so the type numbers are not the same but across the board they offer quite a lot of firepower (number of inputs, power output, etc).
Don't dismiss them because of old experience. They have moved upmarket with their gear after getting rave reviews for their KURO Plasma's.
I see they have an Elite series in USA which looking at the price seem nice. But again I don't know your budget. Looking at the high-res pictures the remotes for at least the Elite series seem to be learning remotes so you should be able to control everything from one remote - except PS3 that uses bluetooth for remote - get a logitech remote if you really need 1 remote)

Otherwise shop for a Denon or Marantz if you want to go high-class. Yamaha also offers a wide range usually a little cheaper than Denon or Marantz and closer in line with what Pioneer offers. The higher end systems use an Anchor Bay Tech chipset for upscaling which has gotten good reviews but I am not up to speed on the latest and greatest so to speak... I assume that design will also take part in your decision. I won't give any advice for that :-)

Good Luck

torifile
2008-08-26, 14:46
My budget is as low as possible while meeting my requirements. ;) That Onkyo I linked up above is in the sweet spot right now and it seems to be getting good reviews. I'll check out the Pioneers, too. Thanks for the tips. :)

kikoman
2008-10-06, 08:42
I have the same situation. I have a HDTV and 4 HDMI sourcesbut a audio receiver that is non- HDMI.

Here is what I did:
I got a HDMI switch (http://octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204port_toslink.htm) with optical switching built in.
This allows me to connect the HDMI sources to the switch and run the optical out to the AV Receiver.
This way, I can always leave my HDTV on HDMI and at same time leave my AV receiver always on a fixed INPUT ( I use DVD).

I can get sound from both the TV and av receiver.
Both the HDMI and optical inputs on the swtich are syncrhonized.

This has worked great for me and most HD discs are only 5.1 so I lose no sound.

Kickaha
2008-10-06, 08:52
tori, what did you decide to go with? I'm in a similar boat at the moment.

Yontsey
2008-10-06, 09:07
I have a question. I have a Sony Receiver that has a few HDMI inputs on the back. Is there a loss of quality if I was to run my PS3 and my cable box and whatnot through the receiver first then to the TV?

Sorry, not to get off topic.

torifile
2008-10-06, 12:13
I ended up getting that Onkyo I posted about in my first post. It's great. I love that I can just leave my tv on HDMI and just change the AV input. It's got 4 HDMI ins, so there's plenty of room for another device or 2. The added bonus that I didn't expect is that it shows the volume level on the OSD. It's clearly not the highest end AV receiver in the world, but for my purposes, it does very nicely and you can't beat the price.

torifile
2008-10-06, 12:16
I have the same situation. I have a HDTV and 4 HDMI sourcesbut a audio receiver that is non- HDMI.

Here is what I did:
I got a HDMI switch (http://octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204port_toslink.htm) with optical switching built in.
This allows me to connect the HDMI sources to the switch and run the optical out to the AV Receiver.
This way, I can always leave my HDTV on HDMI and at same time leave my AV receiver always on a fixed INPUT ( I use DVD).

I can get sound from both the TV and av receiver.
Both the HDMI and optical inputs on the swtich are syncrhonized.

This has worked great for me and most HD discs are only 5.1 so I lose no sound.
Your solution is what I was doing until I decided to upgrade. For me, it was all about having to change 2 inputs and that things could (and often did) get out of sync.

I have a question. I have a Sony Receiver that has a few HDMI inputs on the back. Is there a loss of quality if I was to run my PS3 and my cable box and whatnot through the receiver first then to the TV?

Sorry, not to get off topic.

I don't know the real answer to your question but in my experience, I can't see any degradation. In fact, I believe that there wouldn't be since HDMI is digital and the receiver just does passthrough for HDMI sources. Via component, there's conversion but, again, I don't notice anything.

Matsu
2008-10-06, 12:42
That's a great price for the Onkyo. All solid state amps sound the same, it's not worth it to pay for more. Recievers are a differnt bargain because their is signal processing in the mix and some are better than others, but it's speakers that make the difference, and this is the great tragedy of my AV life.

I don't think I can get a full 5.1, let alone 7.1 past my beautiful wife. So I'm looking at sound bars. Yamaha is the best for surround effect, but it doesn't support the latest formats.

Polk and Definitive Tech both get reasonable reviews. They do need external amplification though. Because they work based on some sort of phase cancellation they're future proof to the extent that satellites can be added for 7.1, or new receiver/processors for future formats...

Must scour craiglist for a Def Tech unit...

Kickaha
2008-10-06, 13:37
Upscaling on that Onkyo - does that also include component/S-Video -> HDMI? Seems that's what you're saying tori, but a peek at the page you gave only talks about upconversion of various HDMI signals to 1080i. Right now I have *zero* HDMI devices or displays, but my beloved 1996 Kenwood THX is failing. (Horrible buzz on all speaker arrangements except for Stereo w/ both A & B speakers on. Failing relays, couple hundred bucks to fix.) I need to purchase something that will handle HDMI out later.

torifile
2008-10-06, 13:38
Upscaling on that Onkyo - does that also include component/S-Video -> HDMI? Seems that's what you're saying tori, but a peek at the page you gave only talks about upconversion of various HDMI signals to 1080i. Right now I have *zero* HDMI devices or displays, but my beloved 1996 Kenwood THX is failing. (Horrible buzz on all speaker arrangements except for Stereo w/ both A & B speakers on. Failing relays, couple hundred bucks to fix.) I need to purchase something that will handle HDMI out later.
It upconverts everything to HDMI.

Kickaha
2008-10-06, 13:39
Sweet.

World Leader Pretend
2008-10-06, 22:52
I love my Harmon Kardon AVR235 that I bought refurbished off Ebay a year or two ago. It has been a rock solid receiver and does all the signal conversion and source detection that I need. Plus it packs some power for its wattage rating and looks cool. No HDMI on mine, but their current gens all have it.

I don't know about their current generation, but their official factory refurbished Ebay seller is a great way to find a bargain. Mine came in great condition for $180, compared to the MSRP of $549.

canyon_Carver
2008-10-07, 10:51
You get what you pay for especially in Quality a/v Theater Receivers.

If I was looking for Brand -- my top three would be Pioneer, Panasonic or Denon.

There are ton of variations to look for. Independent power per channel or shared power (independent is much better but more $). Also I was always told to step up one wattage above the need of your speakers. So if your speakers need 100W, then purchase the 150W receiver. This will ensure you have plenty of power at all times to drive the speakers and allows you to expand your speakers in the future.

My AV receiver is showing signs of its age--and will be looking for one in about 3 years from now (when my little girl gets out of "crayon" phase). That is the same time I am dropping for a 1080P/120khz-- which should be Much, much cheaper in 3 years

I would say look into the $700-$1200 range of receivers and you should find one that is acceptable for your needs.

veryamusing
2008-10-08, 08:01
I don't think I can get a full 5.1, let alone 7.1 past my beautiful wife. So I'm looking at sound bars. Yamaha is the best for surround effect, but it doesn't support the latest formats.

Polk and Definitive Tech both get reasonable reviews. They do need external amplification though. Because they work based on some sort of phase cancellation they're future proof to the extent that satellites can be added for 7.1, or new receiver/processors for future formats...

Must scour craiglist for a Def Tech unit...

Matsu, this is weird. Lately we've both been shopping for televisions AND sound bars!

I have a very limited budget and space constraints, so I am going to pick up a Sony HTCT100. Both CNet and Amazon gave it really good reviews. It's $299.99 from sonystyle.com, and if you apply for their credit card you get a $150.00 statement credit and 12 months no interest financing.

Let us know what you choose and how it sounds! :)

Matsu
2008-10-08, 08:57
Matsu, this is weird. Lately we've both been shopping for televisions AND sound bars!

I have a very limited budget and space constraints, so I am going to pick up a Sony HTCT100. Both CNet and Amazon gave it really good reviews. It's $299.99 from sonystyle.com, and if you apply for their credit card you get a $150.00 statement credit and 12 months no interest financing.

Let us know what you choose and how it sounds! :)

Yeah, I think you need a Sony TV for that one, but it does get good reviews and the price is great! All the connections going to the sub could be a little inconvenient, but it all works through your Sony Bravia without need for any set up, so it's super clean in that regard. It only decodes the standard DTS, DD, ProLogic, but it accepts LPCM, so if you have a PS3 or other BD player that decodes TrueHD or DTS-MA formats, you will at least get some of the benefit of the new high resolution sound formats.

Yamaha's YSP models don't decode True-HD/DTS-MA or accept LPCM multichannel input, or I would get one of those and save myself the expense of a receiver. It probably makes little difference to the actual sound, but those units are not cheap, might as well get one that does it all. They'll likely be updated at some point.

I actually found a used Polk Surroundbar50 for $400, but it's too big for my shelf. I can't locate a used 42" model, or I would have bought it and cheap receiver. If you're interested the listing is on kijiji Calgary/Edmonton - it might have sold already though.