PDA

View Full Version : Need input on Bookends, it's really cheap now.

Koodari
2008-08-30, 15:35
See the deal here:
http://www.mupromo.com/deal/593/bundle

Mellel edu version currently stands at $30, so that leaves Bookends costing approx. $20 in the bundle. (I'm ignoring the rest for simplicity.) Thing is, I'm just a software engineering student getting through basics, so far have never had a zillion citations to manage, and nothing of mine has been published anywhere. If I bought Bookends now, it would be a gamble of sorts where I assume I'm going to need it soon (like in a year), that the price will be significantly higher if I buy later, and that new versions with a pricetag won't come out in the meantime.

So, what are your thoughts on Bookends? How long does your paper need to be and how much citations does it need to contain before Bookends is a significant help? How does it compare to the tools associated with LaTeX? (I'm not intimately familiar with these, but I've used LaTeX a couple of times on group projects, and sort of like it - most of all getting to work in a text editor.)

Mugge
2008-08-30, 15:49
Can speak on behalf of Bookends, but I tried using Endnote for my masters thesis and I really didn't like it. It had a very rigid structure and it seemed to want to do thing just like I didn't want to. Maybe I was my own fault for not being consequent enough in my use of endnote.

Such software obviously requires a very rigid data discipline in order to become a useful tool.

Kickaha
2008-08-30, 15:52
If you plan on using LaTeX, check out BibDesk before plunking down your cash. It's not quite as polished as something like Papers (which also does BibTeX output), but it's free, solid, and pretty nice.

Chellovek
2008-09-01, 05:45
I second Bibdesk. After flirting with Papers, Bibdesk does everything I need and more.

If it's the MS Word / Pages integration that you're after, Bibdesk has some excellent applescripts (http://bibfuse.sourceforge.net/) for that.

ironlung
2008-09-02, 21:40
Mugge I have been using Endnote for four years without any problems. It can be a bit finicky but it has most of the popular journal formats already stored in.