PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good *non-iPod* MP3 player

Robo
2008-09-03, 20:09
Well, I did it. I ordered the Acer Aspire One with Linux. The Windows version - with double the RAM and fifteen times the storage capacity - is supposed to be only $20 more, but it's only available at Best Buy (and it's sold out everywhere) and online (and Amazon hadn't dropped the price of it yet - they were still charging more than even the old retail price!). But I'm okay with the Linux one. I wanted to try out Linux anyway (it's a super-beginner's Linux, called Linpus Linux Lite) and I sort of prefer an SSD to a HDD, considering the point of the laptop was to be something small I could toss around a bit.

So, anyway, I'm on Linux now. (Eventually I'm likely to pick up an iMac as my "main" machine, but for now the Aspire One will do.) The only problem is that iTunes, and thus my iPod, doesn't work for Linux. Sure, it's possible a Linux version would be announced next week, but I don't think that is likely.

So, I guess my question is: What's a good MP3 player that's not an iPod? It needs to support a mass storage mode so I can just drag and drop songs onto it without any "jukebox" application. (If it requires a jukebox app and there's one for Linux, I guess that's okay, but drag-and-drop simplicity is preferred. With only half a gig of RAM, and only 8GB of storage space, I don't want to bog down my Panda (as I've taken to calling my black-on-white Acer) with too much bamboo.

Capacity isn't a huge priority - I'd like something that could hold my entire music collection with some room to grow, but right now I don't have much digital music anyway - but here's some other things that do matter:

Price. I'm a poor college student.

Battery. Battery life is only semi-important, as long as the device actually has an internal rechargeable battery. I saw an RCA Pearl at Walmart that I liked until I saw that it had a battery bulge on the back. It used a AA! I couldn't believe it.

Size and style. I'm looking for something in iPod nano/shuffle territory - I want a screen but I'm not going to be watching video on the thing - and yes, I want it to look decent. I'm a shallow bastard, okay!

Convenience. This is just a catch-all term for a decent interface, I guess. My phone can technically play MP3s - in fact, it's a "music phone" with a dedicate music-playing side - but I still don't want to use it because the interface is crap. Also under "Convenience," a direct USB connection is preferred, so it can double as a flash drive (and so I don't have to cart a dock or cable around). My phone's mass storage mode is wonky, so with my MacBook I had to take out the microSD card slot, put that into an SD adaptor, put that into a USB adaptor, and then take it out and take it out and put it in my phone again. No thanks. I know the One has a SD card slot, thus eliminating one of the steps, but still. No thanks.

So I think I'm looking for a USB-stick-style MP3 player (think 1G shuffle), although I'll consider others if they're good.

I appreciate all your help!

(There were refurbished Sansa Clips for $20 on Woot the other day. I'm kicking myself for not finding a way to order one.)

Wyatt
2008-09-04, 07:59
What Linux distribution are you using?

[edit] Nevermind, I'm a moron. Linpus Light, it is!

There are actually options for syncing an iPod to Linux, though. If you already have one and you're happy with it, I'd look into your software options.

Robo
2008-09-04, 12:47
There are actually options for syncing an iPod to Linux, though. If you already have one and you're happy with it, I'd look into your software options.

I thought that only worked with the older iPods? 5.5G and before?

In any case, right now I only have a $49 iPod shuffle, so it's not like I'm too heartbroken about not being able to use it. It's small and cute and purple, but I think I'd like to be able to choose my music now.

Although the purple Samsung Pebble is tempting.

Sony's Walkmen still require Sony's special software, right? They always have. Sony will be Sony.

artesc
2008-09-04, 19:17
sansa and samsung make fairly decent ones, all things considered. and they're not too expensive.

this is pretty cool...at least i think so...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5712853

Robo
2008-09-05, 00:52
Posting from the Acer. Whoo! The keyboard is actually really good. I tried it out in the store but I was still a little bit worried. But I digress.

I was looking at some Samsungs, artesc - in particular, the U3 (I think) caught my eye, as it plugged directly into the USB port, was super small, and looked nice (lime green!). But I read in an Amazon review that Samsung "updated" it, and it no longer worked with anything but Windows (and no longer worked as a USB key, either). To be honest, the touch sensitive controls on the U3 and on the player you linked to kinda scare me. I trust Apple with touch controls, but I'd like something a little more tactile (and even the clickwheel is still somewhat tactile). The "music" side of my phone has touch controls and they work, but I'd have preferred a regular mechanical scroll wheel, to be honest.

I've heard that the Sansa Connect has similar problems with Linux, which is a shame, because I like it's direct-USB style. Maybe I should just see if I can find an older e200 model and put Rockbox on it?

scubaski
2008-09-08, 06:01
FYI Sony no longer use their own software, it's now "drag&drop" onto mass storage device. Check out the Head-Fi forum where the Sonys get rave reviews for their sound quality, esp the A7XX and A8XX series. They look nice too.

dmegatool
2008-09-08, 07:16
Sony's Walkmen still require Sony's special software, right? They always have. Sony will be Sony.
I think Sony changed little bit. Like scubaski pointed you can drag and drop. Even with the PS3, they used super standard parts like HD, controller cables, power cable, ...