PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress, Google Checkout and registrations

torifile
2008-09-08, 09:04
I'm revamping a site I've only got moderate interest in working on. I want to put the least amount of work in on this project but I want to make sure it works.

Here's the deal - the site is for an annual convention. Previously, they'd been doing registration and payment through the mail. They've finally decided to take online registration and payment and they've asked me to put it together for them.

They're running Wordpress 2.6. What I'd like to do is manage the registration for the convention and payment on the site. Anyone know of a relatively easy way to do this? I've signed them up to take google checkout payments and I have the HTML needed to insert the forms on the site, but I want to minimize the possibility of mistakes by linking conventioneer registration to payment.

My thoughts thus far have been:
1) Make them register with all needed info using the "register-plus" plugin and have the page direct to the payment page after that.

Problems: they could just not pay and they'd still be "registered"

2) Make them pay first and then create a registration

Problems: they could neglect to register after making payment causing all sorts of heartache at check-in time at the convention

In both scenarios, Wordpress user registration would be used as a proxy for convention registrants. This isn't a problem since the site doesn't have actual "users".

Any other thoughts?

Gargoyle
2008-09-08, 17:21
They still need to check the Google Checkout list to check and complete the payments. So just pass the registered email through to Google Checkout and as they confirm each payment, get them to make some change to the user. Add them to a group maybe?? (Not used wordpress for years)

torifile
2008-09-17, 12:07
I decided to revamp the site using Drupal. It's got a module that can process payments without difficulty. Thanks for the tips, though. :)

Gargoyle
2008-09-17, 15:39
which module?

torifile
2008-09-17, 22:00
which module?
Ubercart is the one I'm using but there's also a specific "events" module that does what I want. I don't like Drupal's UI and it takes a lot more work to get feeling right but it's worth it if I can get the hard programmatic stuff taken care of.

torifile
2008-09-30, 15:05
I got it all working! I'm so pleased with myself right now. :D Ubercart's google checkout module had a bug in it that prevented the google order id from coming through and I found it and quashed it! :lol: Now it's all working perfectly. What a relief since we're going live tomorrow!

torifile
2008-09-30, 23:16
I fucking hate people. :mad:

I spent all this time working on an online registration system and now they tell me that people want to mail in their registration. Motherfuckers. I think I should add a "dumb tax" on the registration fee for all those who are moronic enough to prefer to send a check through the mail. :mad: :grumble:

Oh, and I'm charging these bastards for all this extra work they've created for me. Fuckers.

turtle
2008-10-01, 00:14
Well, at least you have a working template. :D