PDA

View Full Version : Build a PC or just get the PS3?

turtle
2008-10-02, 18:13
So this is my dilemma. I'm loving the idea of a PS3 to use as a BluRay player and the ability to gain F@H points with DVD upscale ability. I'm not into gaming at all, though I might pick up a game or two along the way if I go PS3. I had pretty much set my sights on a PS3 (80GB Core edition) because of it's abilities.

However, now I'm thinking about building a PC instead. It'll be able to make some serious points folding and provide other family usage. Not sure how well it'll handle BluRay playback, though I suppose if I put enough money into it that it could make BR child's play. This PC would go with my 32" 1080i TV (http://208.109.228.157/arquivos/produto/especificacoes/L32W761_spec.pdf). Currently I have an tv connected to it along with a Vista Ultimate PC. The current PC is a P4 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM. DVD playback on mediacenter is crappy. It doesn't set the resolution properly and often I'll have audio with no video. Stop it and restart and have both. Stop it again and flip a coin to see what happens. Maybe it's the video card, ATI All-In-Wonder from about 5 years ago. I don't have any special inputs going to it though. At one time I had a VHS player plugged into it but that has been killed because of copyright flags so I can't even play VHS' through it anymore.

The TV only has one HDMI input and it's currently used by the tv. I'll move it to component cables though since the tv only plays ripped and compressed content. I won't notice any "degradation" that might happen with component over HDMI. This would enable the PC to use either HDMI or DVI out, though I currently have it connected into the VGA input. Since the PS3 won't upscale a DVD with anything other than HDMI, is that the same for a PC?

It's been so long since I've built a PC that I'm not even sure of what I should put in it if I were to build it. I'm thinking an Intel LGA 775 with Q6600 since it's power and price are pretty good. This would have me using the lower priced DDR2 on most motherboards I would get. Get an internal BR-ROM drive for playback. I could just reuse the case and PS from my current PC so I could reuse the Ultimate, or get something different and use a Home Premium upgrade I have sitting around collecting dust right now.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? I am figuring I've got about $500 to build this machine. Remember, I'm not into gaming at all. If I go PC, it'll likely only be used as a PC for things like Office or web on the rarest of occasions. Simple is my main idea and yet long life. Options are good and power to make many F@H points is great too! :) Ability to dual boot a Hackintosh would be awesome, though just as a toy more than anything. Video inputs on the mediacenter aren't important at all since I don't have cable or satellite. If I ever get my DTV antenna to pick up something I'll have it go straight through the TV directly.

One other important note is there in no real audio setup for my entertainment center as of now. I have 2:1 PC speakers connected to the PC and have the tv play audio through the TV.

Luca
2008-10-02, 18:17
You know, I'd go over to AnandTech or ArsTechnica and ask someone there. Right now my "HTPC" setup is a DVI-HDMI cable running from my computer to my TV (they're in the same room), and I just carry my wireless mouse over and use that along with some custom button configurations to control everything. It's not very convenient but it works great.

A true HTPC should have a remote control and stuff... I dunno, I've never really looked into making one.

turtle
2008-10-02, 18:22
I do have a BT keyboard and mouse collecting dust right now that I could revive for this uses. I'm sure there's enough range in those devices to work. While it isn't my Remote Wonder ][, sadly the RW ][ isn't Vista compatible and there's no future for it according to what I've seen on ATI's site. The BT mouse and Keyboard would work for me though until I could get something more suitable like the RW ][.

Edit: as for going over to the other sites, my thing there is I don't know those people. I know most of the members here and know which ones I can trust info from and which ones to ignore or take with a grain of salt. Plus, the people on the other sites don't know me.

dmegatool
2008-10-02, 18:29
I would personnaly go with the PS3. It would be cheaper and wihtout all the hassle. Maybe have a look at place like EBGames for opened box. I got my PS3 for 330$.

Get a real remote and you would have all you need... Internet browser, high def movies. You could stream movies/music out of your PC but it's pretty useless since you have an tv.

By the way I just built my own HTPC. I paid around 500$. I use it as a PVR... it's working well but I don't know how it would handle high def movies... Seems like it would be a little bit too much for it but when I built it, I tried to keep power consomtion in mind.

Luca
2008-10-02, 19:57
Well, basically you pick between flexibility and ease of use. Yes, it's extremely easy to just get a PS3 and set it up. It'll probably be great for your purposes. But an HTPC, after some initial setup, will give you a lot more options as far as recording stuff, storing local content (you can stick a huge HD in there for pretty cheap), and playing any video format that has ever been created or that ever will come along in the future. And of course, there is no shortage of accessories you can get to complement your HTPC.

But I will say this: most HTPC setups seem a bit jury-rigged. Getting a wireless remote and keeping the computer hidden will help. Also, I'd say having the TV be the only monitor and using it only for HTPC use is a good way of ensuring a smooth, consistent experience.

Unfortunately, the fact that your TV is 720p and not 1080p will hurt your prospects for HTPC use, but it only matters for normal computer use. If you're just watching movies, it'll be fine.

Koodari
2008-10-02, 22:53
So this is my dilemma. I'm loving the idea of a PS3 to use as a BluRay player and the ability to gain F@H points with DVD upscale ability. I'm not into gaming at all, though I might pick up a game or two along the way if I go PS3. I had pretty much set my sights on a PS3 (80GB Core edition) because of it's abilities.

However, now I'm thinking about building a PC instead. It'll be able to make some serious points folding and provide other family usage.Folding - fun for the whole family? :D

Unless there's more data, I'd go with the PS3. You get BR playback, folding and a bad web browser (?) out of the box, and if you want to tinker and do a bit of general use, you can put Linux on it.

Bryson
2008-10-02, 22:59
I'm staggered that Folding is a factor in any kind of purchasing decision - isn't the idea that it's a good use for spare capacity/spare machines....not the basis for buying a new one?

turtle
2008-10-02, 23:26
Ok, well, folding isn't really a factor, just a little of the competitive nature coming out in me. :D

Yeah, it really seems like the PS3 is the way to go for me. I've been thinking this anyway, but the idea of building a system just seemed so cool. I haven't built one in forever and this would be a fun project for me. You know, letting the geek in me have a fun project that can do some powerful things. I'll just wait for my Mac Pro for this instead, or rebuild/build new my SME server.

The next big PS3 is going to be $499 and come with a 160GB drive, that is according to Fry's website (http://shop1.frys.com/product/5720972). So I'll just get the $399 80GB core system. Now to find the best deal on it that doesn't involve applying for credit of any kind.

Partial
2008-10-03, 00:45
*cough* hackintosh *cough*

PB PM
2008-10-03, 01:05
turtle is just upset that my 8800GT is out folding him, even with it only going for half the day. :p

turtle
2008-10-03, 01:23
turtle is just upset that my 8800GT is out folding him, even with it only going for half the day. :p

Yeah, so?

:p

Koodari
2008-10-03, 01:27
Just out of interest.. what "consumer" hardware has the best price/performance for folding? Selfbuilt headless boxes with Core 2 Quads, or..?

PB PM
2008-10-03, 02:09
Actually a machine with a 8800GS is shown to give the best price/points value when folding. Quads put out about the same amount of points, but cost a lot more. You could have the 8800GS pared with a Pentium Dual core and still get 4000PPD.

Koodari
2008-10-03, 04:37
Actually a machine with a 8800GS is shown to give the best price/points value when folding. Quads put out about the same amount of points, but cost a lot more. You could have the 8800GS pared with a Pentium Dual core and still get 4000PPD.But the difference in dual vs quad isn't that much. Given the (almost) fixed sunk cost from case, power, HD, memory etc., why is it not best to put a quad in that machine along with the 8800GS?

Also, could you use dual 8800GS with a SLI mobo?

turtle
2008-10-03, 09:59
Standford's FAQs say you can run multiple GPUs so it looks like you could. I haven't gone too far into it, but it's promising anyway.

*runs off to price a new video card*

:p

Edit: Seems my PC can only handle AGP 3.0. :( Might be time to upgrade it anyway.

turtle
2008-10-03, 10:01
Well, I looked around yesterday and found what would be perfect for my entertainment set up; a white PS3. Problem is it won't play region 1 BR disks. :( It's about the same price as the 80GB model, just looks much cooler. Oh well.

Mugge
2008-10-03, 10:07
Just out of interest.. what "consumer" hardware has the best price/performance for folding? Selfbuilt headless boxes with Core 2 Quads, or..?

Ars have a guide to an Ultimate Budget Box (http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200810.ars) that with some purpose specific tweaks might answer that call.

Distributed computing geeks can probably get by with a network boot and a faster processor. Used as a low-cost computing node, the UBB could get by with a less-capable motherboard, etc.

Maybe you could add an 8800-something to the above?

spotcatbug
2008-10-03, 10:21
a white PS3

So, after reading that, of course I needed to see a picture (http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/01/22/sony-to-release-ceramic-white-ps3-in-the-us/) of it. Then, reading the linked article, it says, "In Japan, the Ceramic White model comes with a blah blah blah." Hold on a second. Ceramic? It's made out of ceramic? Really?

edit: It just occurred to me that "Ceramic White" may be a particular shade of white. If so, that's sneeky/cheesy.

Luca
2008-10-03, 10:31
Another thing about the PS3 is you can easily replace the internal hard drive with any laptop drive you want.

turtle
2008-10-03, 10:39
How easy/hard would it be to change it from some other region to USA?

PB PM
2008-10-03, 15:05
I'm not sure, but I don't think that you can change the region settings on consoles.

torifile
2008-10-03, 16:38
I'm not sure, but I don't think that you can change the region settings on consoles.
I'm not sure what the deal is with movies, but all PS3 games are region free. I haven't looked into the region settings on PS3s but I wonder if it's changeable. I'll ask around.

turtle
2008-10-03, 19:21
I wonder if it's just as easy as changing the BR drive?

PB PM
2008-10-03, 20:20
A stand alone BR drive (slot loading) costs just as much as the PS3, I don't think that is a cost effective solution. ;)

turtle
2008-10-03, 21:44
A stand alone BR drive (slot loading) costs just as much as the PS3, I don't think that is a cost effective solution. ;)

Maybe I can find a mostly killed PS3 on sale somewhere.... or just use spray paint! :D

Partial
2008-10-04, 15:28

low end quad or dual core that you can overclock. The Q6600 I have heard is a phenomenal value.

PB PM
2008-10-04, 15:54
The Q6600 is cheap yes, but unless you are encoding video or ripping music all day its overkill. You'd be better off getting an E8400 or E8500, they overclock into the 4Ghz range, so you get similar ripping performance and it uses less electricity to do it.

nikstar101
2008-10-04, 16:13
One point which i am not sure if it has been made yet...

Noise of the machine. If the PC is anywhere near your TV you will have the drone of the fans ruining your movies when a quiet scene unfolds. The PS3 is remarkably quiet.

I bought a PS3, earlier this year and i don't play that many games on it to be honest. I have bought a few, but i get bored of them quickly. SO the main use of the PS3 is a DVD/Blu-Ray player. And it is very good at that too. Compared to by old 1st Gen Xbox, which ruined any movie that had a quiet scene, you cannot tell the PS3 is running when watching a movie. I would imagine that a budget PC which cheaper cooling kit would be at least as loud as an Xbox.

PB PM
2008-10-04, 16:19
A good set of quiet fans at low RPM would solve that problem for $15-20.

nikstar101
2008-10-04, 16:30
To be honest if you spent $15-20 on fans for the whole system, i don't think they would be that quiet. Maybe per fan. Its generally the graphics card fans are the worst, because they are tiny little things. Plus getting a PSU with a quiet fan can be a challenge.

turtle
2008-10-04, 19:52
I never thought of noise as a factor, but it's a very valid point. I would rather it be as quiet as possible for the movies. I have sensitive ears (much to the dismay of my 14 year old) and noise does make a difference. Good point. Maybe I'll have to leave the PC for another time altogether.

My, I just spec'ed out a new system for $500 without a case or HDD because I'd just reuse what I've already got on hand. This was using the E8500 without a graphics card using a Gigabyte motherboard with integrated graphics. I could add an 8800 or better later along with a BR-ROM.

torifile
2008-10-04, 21:15
turtle, we had a PC running as our media center for a while and it was nice because it had great functionality, but it really kills the experience of just chilling. I don't want a keyboard anywhere near my living room. But that's just me... Geek out elsewhere in your life. :)

turtle
2008-10-04, 21:56
turtle, we had a PC running as our media center for a while and it was nice because it had great functionality, but it really kills the experience of just chilling. I don't want a keyboard anywhere near my living room. But that's just me... Geek out elsewhere in your life. :)

Well, at this point elegance isn't that key to my theater experience. :o

http://turtle2472.com/an/TVcenter2.png

torifile
2008-10-04, 22:02
Well, at this point elegance isn't that key to my theater experience. :o

http://turtle2472.com/an/TVcenter2.png

:lol:

The PS3 would be a great start to it. What's all that other stuff for? Move it out, use either the AppleTV and iTunes or the PS3 and medialink to get your media to the HT. Pick up a PS3 from ebay using the live.com search rebate for like $250 (check that thread in AO).

turtle
2008-10-04, 22:32
:lol:

The PS3 would be a great start to it. What's all that other stuff for? Move it out, use either the AppleTV and iTunes or the PS3 and medialink to get your media to the HT. Pick up a PS3 from ebay using the live.com search rebate for like $250 (check that thread in AO).

http://turtle2472.com/an/TVcenter2plus.png

1) Vista Ultimate Media Center
2) SME Server (Lenny)
3) Fingerprint Reader for Media Center, KVM behind TV
4) Cable Modem, Back-UPS (hidden by videos), RV042, SD2008, WRT54G, Keyboard & mouse for Media Center & Lenny
5) tv
6) AirPort Express (for 802.11n network) and External HDD for tv

Plus my favorite binary clock on the fish tank! :D

The cable input comes into my apartment behind the TV. Cable Modem and Lenny server have to be here because it's where the cable comes in for HSI. I could put Lenny in a better looking box, but it hasn't been a priority. It's very likely that the media center will be moved after getting the PS3. I'm also thinking about another enclosing TV stand to hide the crap that much be there, but it's a low priority right now.

turtle
2008-10-04, 23:17
How can I know which is the PS3 model I want? Which one has the right controller? Does this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-80GB-Free-MetalGear-4-Game_W0QQitemZ250303448899QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 250303448899&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C2 40%3A1309&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)?

NosferaDrew
2008-10-04, 23:58
turtle, Check out the different configurations here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations).

If PS2 games are important to you, the current PS3s that are being manufactured use software emulation for those games. Older PS3s floating around have use hardware to run the older games. Sony saves money by losing the hardware and doing it in software.

As dmegatool mentioned, you may want to get a remote like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PlayStation-3-Blu-ray-Disc-Remote/dp/B000M17AVO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1223182113&sr=8-2) to control the PS3 when watching movies. You can use the PS3 controller (as I do), but the remote is easier to use.

You'll love the PS3.

nikstar101
2008-10-05, 04:58
Any of the recent PS3s will probably do. I would go for the 80gig if it is your intention to use it as a media centre in the end. More space for music and movies. Plus you can now buy this add on called Play TV where you can record, pause etc.. free to air digital TV channels on your PS3.

Koodari
2008-10-05, 06:00
Any of the recent PS3s will probably do. I would go for the 80gig if it is your intention to use it as a media centre in the end. More space for music and movies.80GB is sort of anemic for video storage. IMO either the stock lower capacity is fine - BR viewing and streaming media from a PC on the LAN do not take any space - or the price difference will go towards swapping a much bigger HD into the lower capacity model.

turtle
2008-10-05, 09:11
Seems like the newer PS3 are less capable. They'll all do what I'm looking for, but the chart makes them look skimped. I'll go with the 80GB model because I'm not worried about the HDD space on it. I can change it out later if I want or (more likely) just leave it as is since my tv is gonna have most of my media that is streamed.

The fact that the PS3 is going to be able to serve as a DVR means I might put it to use there if I should have any shift into allowing TV in my home. :)

dmegatool
2008-10-05, 15:47
Plus you can now buy this add on called Play TV where you can record, pause etc.. free to air digital TV channels on your PS3.

But the PlayTV is Europe only. It won't work in USA. And it's not announced for America so I wouldn't count on it. It's definetly great but it's just for Europe. So no DVR functions for the PS3 for now... sorry

Robo
2008-10-10, 13:51
Seems like the newer PS3 are less capable. They'll all do what I'm looking for, but the chart makes them look skimped. I'll go with the 80GB model because I'm not worried about the HDD space on it. I can change it out later if I want or (more likely) just leave it as is since my tv is gonna have most of my media that is streamed.

The fact that the PS3 is going to be able to serve as a DVR means I might put it to use there if I should have any shift into allowing TV in my home. :)

Yeah, Sony takes something out every time they drop the PS3 price, it seems. If you really want the old 80GB (card slots, 4 USB, limited PS2 compatibility) just let me know; I could part with mine. (I have lots of GS credit that I'd like to turn into something, and I don't really care about card slots or anything like that. I could easily buy the gimped 80GB with my credit and sell you my good 80GB, if you're interested. Personally, I don't think that stuff is that big of a deal, especially since - like I just said - Sony drops the price $100 whenever they take anything out.)

I think you're making the right choice. HTPCs just seem so...haphazard. You'll love the PS3's interface, it's supersimple.

And to answer someone's question from earlier, yeah, the "Ceramic White" PS3 is still plastic. "Ceramic White" is just the name Sony always uses for its PlayStation colors (along with "Charcoal Black" and "Satin Silver").

turtle
2008-10-10, 21:03
Thanks for the offer and assurance on making the right choice. While I don't like the removal of choices I'm not even sure I'd use the extras anyway. I can't see me actually using the card readers or extra USB ports.

Now, a white one with Region 1 BR would be cool. :cool:

Robo
2008-10-10, 21:38
Thanks for the offer and assurance on making the right choice. While I don't like the removal of choices I'm not even sure I'd use the extras anyway. I can't see me actually using the card readers or extra USB ports.

Now, a white one with Region 1 BR would be cool. :cool:

The thing that everyone usually freaks out over is PS2 compatibility. I don't know why, because they dropped the price $100 when they removed that, and if PS2 compatibility is important to you, you can use that $100 to...wait for it...buy a PS2! Or keep your old one, since everyone has one anyway. :)

If you do decide you want the MS/SD slots and extra USB ports later, Nyko has made a pretty nice little adaptor that plugs into one of the USB ports and gives you thee USB ports and a MS/SD slot. It's designed to match the curve of the PS3. It's not a bad deal for $15 but, like you said, you might not use those things anyway. I never do.

And hells yeah on the white PS3. I've been digging that look ever since it was announced. I almost imported a white PSP once.

turtle
2008-10-15, 23:25
So tomorrow is my big day. I'm going to be picking up my PS3 tomorrow with 15% off because of a coupon with no tax and no waiting. I thought about doing the Live Search rebate thing but just don't care to mess with it and the savings isn't going to be that significant to make me be willing to chase after that money.

New addition though: I'm looking at picking up a Wii while I'm at it. Is this a good plan for my family gaming? Seem like a lot of members on here use the Wii and it also seems to have more family oriented games. My wife and I were talking about getting some of the games that make you "work out" as well as some fun ones like Mario Kart and even some classics.

What video output methods does the Wii have? I'm gonna go look it up online, but I just thought I'd get some input here too since I'm sure some of you have tried several.

torifile
2008-10-15, 23:33
The Wii, out of the box, does 480i. If you get the component cables, which can be found for pretty cheap online, you get 480p.

As far as gaming on the Wii goes, I'm not a fan. We've had a Wii since launch day and it'll go months not even connected to my tv. Part of the issue with the Wii is that it does much better when there are a few people playing in the same room. It's fun when we have company over but that's about it. The problem, in my opinion, is that the remote is just too imprecise and you have to sit directly in front of the tv for it to work even close to right.

turtle
2008-10-15, 23:38
My tv is now using the component input on my TV so the Wii can't have it. The PS3 is going to be using my HDMI so I can't put the tv there either.

Why do you have to sit directly in front of the TV? That isn't an option at my place really. Everything is more angled to the TV rather than having a spot to sit right in front of it. Is there a way around this?

Maciej
2008-10-16, 01:24
I wish I woulda seen this earlier so I could add one point.

The PS3 currently (and probably always) only supports FAT32 file structure. This, as you might know, precludes it from accessing files larger than 4.0gigs (4GB - 1 byte). I just wanted to point this out in case you were interested in playing HD quality files from it that weren't on a BR disc.

You can overcome this by loading a media center on your mac.

Sorry if you were aware of all this already.

dmegatool
2008-10-16, 08:19
I think FAT32 is only for external HD. The internal HD is not formated in FAT32. Anyway is if still a 4gb, wouldn't be possible to stream the files from a pc/mac instead ?

turtle
2008-10-16, 10:10
The HDD limitation isn't an issue for me. I'm not planning on store media on it since my Mac and tv will handle that part. That's good information to know though. Thanks for the tip. :)

Maciej
2008-10-16, 11:39
I think FAT32 is only for external HD. The internal HD is not formated in FAT32. Anyway is if still a 4gb, wouldn't be possible to stream the files from a pc/mac instead ?

Yeah you can stream, that's what I meant by media center. Even though the internal isn't formated in FAT, there's no way to get a file larger than 4 gigs onto there, it wouldn't recognize it if you wanted to copy it from an external. Just the stuff you download through the playstation store, I've never bought a video from them. But streaming works rather well - unfortunately their file support is eccentric.

Edit: does apple TV play any file you give it? Or is limited by codec quite a bit?

dmegatool
2008-10-16, 12:04
Even though the internal isn't formated in FAT, there's no way to get a file larger than 4 gigs onto there, it wouldn't recognize it if you wanted to copy it from an external. Just the stuff you download through the playstation store, I've never bought a video from them. But streaming works rather well - unfortunately their file support is eccentric.

Hummm I'm pretty sure you can transfert big files on it. I've seen a lot of comments saying this. But I never tried myself so I can't say for 100% sure... I'm only 95% sure :p

And for the file support, most of the software used for streaming to PS3 support a large variety of formats. Like medialink (http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink) supports : -MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4
-H.264, DIVX, XVID
-AVI, WMV, ASF
You can even stream some RAWs, PSD, EPS, ... Most people are on PC so I think most popular way to stream are TVersity and Windows Media Player 11 witch I guess, are supporting the same kind of files.

Anyway, we don't want to get off topic don't we ? :p

turtle
2008-10-16, 17:41

Edit: does apple TV play any file you give it? Or is limited by codec quite a bit?

Mine does thanks to a hack. aTV lets me hook up a USB drive and run ripped DVDs with full content as though I had inserted a DVD.

It's done! I have my new PS3 sitting right next to me in the van right now while my wife finishes up some shopping. I'm not going to be able to get it connected until about 10 tonight from the current time line we are on. I went ahead and picked up Ghost Recon 2 and another controller so my wife can play with me. We didn't get a BR movie yet, though I'm likely to pick one up soon just so I can demo the quality. The big one we are after is the Planet Earth set done by BBC. I've seen a few of the regular DVDs and really enjoyed it.

The extras that went to the PS3 means I can't get the Wii right now. However my wife and I are going to shift the budget around some to make it happen. :) Who says the kids have to eat? :p :rolleyes: No, it's not taking food away from the kids but I'm really looking forward to getting the Wii to. After looking more into it I think my family will like it a lot more than the PS3. I got two wireless nunchuks along with the gun controller holder since I loved Duck Hunt!

The sales guy told my wife about Wii Fit and now she really wants that game too. So who knows, we might just turn into a gamer family after all. :| My 14 year old is pretty excited about this shift since all she's had was a Gameboy Advance. I'll post more about the PS3 and Wii (if I am able to get it tonight since the NEX was sold out) after I get home. :)

Maciej
2008-10-16, 19:49
Congratulations!

I think the PS3 is one of the best options for BR playback. And with internet firmware upgrade you can always stay ontop of all the new functionality they're adding to bluray.

I'm trying to find a copy of the BBC Planet Earth, too. From what I understand the narration is supremely superior to that of Sigourney Weaver. Good luck with the system! and let us know if you have any other questions.

turtle
2008-10-17, 01:07
Well the PS3 is up and running as well as F@H is configured on it. I have even managed to find the BBC Planet Earth and it's really awesome on this TV. I got it for $67.50 from Wal-Mart since everywhere else has it for much more. I'm not sure what all I'll end up doing with my PS3, but my user name is the same I have here and I even took unboxing pictures of it. :p

http://turtle2472.com/an/PS3/thumbnails/thumb-3.jpg (http://www.turtle2472.com/an/PS3/index.html)

I used the HDMI cable and wire connected the PS3 to the switch right next to it.

Next up, Wii picks! I picked up a Wii and Wii Fit today too! I'm pretty excited about the developments here! :)

http://www.turtle2472.com/an/Wii/thumbnails/thumb-3.jpg (http://www.turtle2472.com/an/Wii/index.html)

The Wii is up and running. Since I have to get up for work in two hours though I haven't payed any games. I'm going to bed. :)

dmegatool
2008-10-17, 09:37
Wow, a lot of gaming cash in theses 2 pics :)

Congrats for your purchases man.

Tips: Like you said you are not into gaming, I suggest you to have a look at the PS Store. You can download a ton of demos so I think it will be good for your little appetite for games. Or even go with little games on the PS Store like Pain/Bowling/Burnout Paradise(30$ this one)...

I love trying games for free. Sometimes, the demo offer just enough to satisfy you. If not, you're buying...

Forgot to say, you MUST buy Megaman9 or your PS3 will stop working in the next 10 days.

turtle
2008-10-17, 19:11
I'll look into Megaman 9 but sadly I might have to wait 14 more days. I'll pray a special blessing over my machine in the mean time. :D I only get my allowance every other week.

I never thought of playing the demos but that's a great idea!

torifile
2008-10-17, 21:36
PSN gamesharing, turtle. That's where it's at. PM me and we can talk.

turtle
2008-10-18, 11:28
Thanks. :)

I have to say that I really have enjoyed my Wii and last night Planet Earth looked awesome on my TV. This really was my best move I think. :)

torifile
2008-10-18, 21:10
I got LittleBigPlanet early (pre-ordered from a seller on ebay). :D Even though it has been delayed until 11/14. :D :D Anyway, great game! Lots of fun and it feels very real. The physics are amazing.

dmegatool
2008-10-18, 22:26
I got LittleBigPlanet early (pre-ordered from a seller on ebay). :D Even though it has been delayed until 11/14. :D :D Anyway, great game! Lots of fun and it feels very real. The physics are amazing.
Fuck you

torifile
2008-10-18, 22:32
Fuck you
:p :D :D :D

Maciej
2008-10-19, 00:50
I read it got pulled because of an offensive soundtrack. Are you offended?

All I play is Civilization, but I'm thinking of picking up Fifa and Dead Space. But I suppose thats for another thread too..

Brad
2008-10-19, 00:56
I read it got pulled because of an offensive soundtrack.
Specifically, two short phrases in one of the songs are considered offensive because they are in the Qur'an. Details in this thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=30458).

torifile
2008-10-19, 12:04
I read it got pulled because of an offensive soundtrack. Are you offended?

Well, considering my family's Muslim, I could see the reason for the offense. I haven't heard the song, but I do know that regardless of the intent behind the song - good, bad or indifferent - it would be considered sacrilegious to use Quranic verses put to music.

Specifically, two short phrases in one of the songs are considered offensive because they are in the Qur'an. Details in this thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=30458).
It's not because they're in the Quran that they're considered offensive. It's that Quranic verses are considered sacred and should not be set to music. It's just one of those things...

Maciej
2008-10-19, 15:26

Gah, I'm not surprised I missed that thread. I don't read anything in outsider. Sorry.

Also, I didn't mean to offend you torifile. Sorry, again.

torifile
2008-10-19, 16:40
Gah, I'm not surprised I missed that thread. I don't read anything in outsider. Sorry.

Also, I didn't mean to offend you torifile. Sorry, again.
No offense taken. :) I personally hate the sort of strict dogma that most practicing Muslims adhere to. It's really what has soured me on the religion in general. I think it's ridiculous to get upset about this, though I'm totally not surprised.

turtle
2008-10-20, 00:18
Wow. I've not yet played the first game on the PS3. My family has been playing the Wii everyday though. Now granted, my wife has mostly been playing Wii Fit and using it as her personal trainer. It's easier for her to stop a workout and get the baby from here rather than at the YMCA where she has to leave the gym area.

I'm planning to get some PS3 time in tomorrow, but I'll have to pry the Wii from my wife. :p I really want to get some time in with the Ghost Recon game since I loved the original on PC so much.

Thanks for the info tori. ;)

tomoe
2008-10-20, 00:30
Wow. I've not yet played the first game on the PS3. My family has been playing the Wii everyday though. Now granted, my wife has mostly been playing Wii Fit and using it as her personal trainer. It's easier for her to stop a workout and get the baby from here rather than at the YMCA where she has to leave the gym area.

I'm planning to get some PS3 time in tomorrow, but I'll have to pry the Wii from my wife. :p I really want to get some time in with the Ghost Recon game since I loved the original on PC so much.

Thanks for the info tori. ;)

Have fun with Ghost Recon 2--that game sucked a solid week from my life last summer! :) If you want to maddeningly challenge yourself, play it on the most difficult setting--IIRC you die if you get shot once (maybe twice) and the enemies are v. accurate. You might also like SOCOM--I think there's one for PS3.

turtle
2008-10-20, 01:30
Have fun with Ghost Recon 2--that game sucked a solid week from my life last summer! :) If you want to maddeningly challenge yourself, play it on the most difficult setting--IIRC you die if you get shot once (maybe twice) and the enemies are v. accurate. You might also like SOCOM--I think there's one for PS3.

I can't wait. My wife and I used to play the PC version networked all the time. We loved killing each other first. :) Thankfully it was just a game....but there is "Scorned" in the Color Photo thread. :D

torifile
2008-10-20, 19:08
SOCOM: Confrontation came out last week for the PS3. It's online only. Not sure what kind of reviews it's gotten. I'm playing the Resistance 2 beta and I'm really enjoying the coop play. It's nice to not have to be so competitive all the time. :)

turtle
2008-10-25, 22:55
Linux on my PS3?

So I found the "Other OS" thing and started looking around. I saw a mention of it from Roboman and this really intrigued me. So I found Yellow Dog Linux 6 is out and seems ot be tailor made for the PS3. It's based off of CentOS which is the same base as my SME Sever I use in my house.

Is any one familiar with YDL 6 (http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/)?

torifile
2008-10-25, 23:31
Linux on my PS3?

So I found the "Other OS" thing and started looking around. I saw a mention of it from Roboman and this really intrigued me. So I found Yellow Dog Linux 6 is out and seems ot be tailor made for the PS3. It's based off of CentOS which is the same base as my SME Sever I use in my house.

Is any one familiar with YDL 6 (http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/)?
Never tried the Linux-on-the-PS3 thing myself. I thought about it for a while but I've read reports of it being hampered by the PS3's relatively low onboard RAM.