PDA

View Full Version : When Will Tiger Be Out??

holbox
2005-01-01, 11:59
I'm gonna buy a new 20" iMac G5, but don't want to get it till TIGER comes out.
Anybody have a clue when it'll show?

chucker
2005-01-01, 12:07
Late spring.

iRobot
2005-01-01, 12:43
Probably late spring is a little more accurate.

Although assuming there isn't a brand new featureset that we haven't yet heard of in developer builds, it could come out as soon as February.

Don't hold your breath.

I definitely expect it to take a few more months than that.

However! There's a decent chances that if you buy after MWSF you'll be able to get a cheap or free upgrade to Tiger when it is released.

Brad
2005-01-01, 12:54
Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jun/28tiger.html

Pricing & Availability
Mac OS X version 10.4 “Tiger” will be available in the first half of 2005 through the Apple Store®, at Apple’s retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $129 (US).

Anyone other dates that anyone mentions are pure speculation.

iRobot
2005-01-01, 12:59
Hence the posting in the Speculation and Rumors forum, Brad.

Moogs
2005-01-01, 13:55
I don't think Brad meant it personally. The point is that even the people testing the software right now (under NDA, etc) don't know the answer to that question, even within 30 days accuracy if I had to guess. Hence if you think about it, it's kind of a silly question.

Of course everyone is curious and anxious, but if you've posted on forums like this for any length of time, you know how tedious it can be when questions are posted that no one could possibly have a specific answer for. People just ask because they're hoping someone will post a specific date that they can look forward to. Unfortunately ALL such dates, except when the product has been announced as imminent by the company, are meaningless.

Sort of like "When will the next Adobe Suite come out"? Any date posted is just a guess, because while Adobe may have an internal cut-off date for distribution and duplication, technically they don't know either. Software goes to duplication only when the developer is satisfied all the core functionality and new features are "stable enough" and "perform well", hence a somewhat subjective benchmark.

There are no hard, fast rules when it comes to when a software title is going to be released, unless it's something like VueScan that's updated two or three times a month.

iRobot
2005-01-01, 13:58
I totally agree with you Moogs.

I didn't mean my comment personally either. Brad is absolutely correct, I was just poking fun at him.

A smilie might have softened that one up.

holbox
2005-01-01, 15:15
I'm new to Macs. Guess my question should have been - "Is there a time that Apple usually brings out new stuff?"

Jim S.
2005-01-01, 15:52
holbox, welcome to the Mac fraternity! :)

All of us are anxiously waiting for the Macworld keynote on January 11th. Steve Jobs will certainly give us an update on Tiger progress.

Moogs
2005-01-01, 18:04
I totally agree with you Moogs.

I didn't mean my comment personally either. Brad is absolutely correct, I was just poking fun at him. A smilie might have softened that one up.

Yes. Blessed are the smilies for they shall keepeth the forum.

Henriok
2005-01-01, 20:00
The point is that even the people testing the software right now (under NDA, etc) don't know the answer to that question, even within 30 days accuracy if I had to guess. I'm pretty certain though that the people currently testing Tiger would say that Apple won't ship within the next 30 days :) Or even the following 30 days.

holbox
2005-01-01, 22:45
Thank you .......

drewprops
2005-01-01, 22:52
Holbox and all you other MacN00bs, if you live near an Apple Store you should plan to try to be there the morning of the Keynote speech. It's a great big party and you'll REALLY enjoy the experience! And the hot girls!

Well, the experience anyway.

chucker
2005-01-01, 23:58
Although assuming there isn't a brand new featureset that we haven't yet heard of in developer builds, it could come out as soon as February.

February, yeah right.

"Late spring" was a semi-educated guess of mine; this is a speculations forum, after all. The official word is still "first half", but don't count on it being out any time before April. Extremely unlikely if you ask me.

all4jo
2005-01-02, 00:09
i just purchased my first mac ibook g4 on the 18 th of december . what would happen if at the macconference they announce new software , would i qualify for an upgrade it its withing 30 days of my purchase and the keynote? also what about tiger would they offer that kind of upgrade also?
thanks
jose

HOM
2005-01-02, 00:13
i just purchased my first mac ibook g4 on the 18 th of december . what would happen if at the macconference they announce new software , would i qualify for an upgrade it its withing 30 days of my purchase and the keynote? also what about tiger would they offer that kind of upgrade also?
thanks
jose

More likely than not, based on pervious Apple tendencies, you are only entitled to a free (plus $20 S&H) upgrade if you buy a system after the formal announcement of a shipping date.

So my guess is you are going to have to pay the $129 like the rest of us to get Tiger.

holbox
2005-01-02, 08:08
Holbox and all you other MacN00bs, if you live near an Apple Store you should plan to try to be there the morning of the Keynote speech. It's a great big party and you'll REALLY enjoy the experience! And the hot girls!

Well, the experience anyway.

Hell, I'm 70 so I've had all kind of "great parties & Experiences!" and really can't quite remember what it was about the "hot girls" I liked.
But I got my first Mac (iMac G4) a couple years ago. Why anyone would
want a PC is beyond me. This is a far superior system in all ways except maybe "bang-bang Shootem-up games" , which I don't mess with.
I love the solid equipment feel of Apple, the sleek looks, ect. Same with Caddys and Lincolns. Just better stuff!
;)

Moogs
2005-01-02, 12:17
I'm pretty certain though that the people currently testing Tiger would say that Apple won't ship within the next 30 days :) Or even the following 30 days.

I think you misunderstood. What I meant was, if you gave them an error margin of +/- 30 days, the beta testers still wouldn't get the right answer if you asked them to make a guess right now. IOW, we're too far away from the release to have any accurate idea of when it will be.

;)