PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G Protective Covers/Cases

Kickaha
2008-11-02, 18:53
Well, we did it, went and got two new sparkly iPhones.

Now to cut down on scratches, etc... looking for cases. Suggestions? Horror stories? Ones you love? Hate?

All advice appreciated.

psmith2.0
2008-11-02, 19:31
Were you looking for something to simply carry it in, or were you looking for the type of design that still allows visibility/use while inside the case? If you have a preference, that would greatly narrow the field down because, last I checked, there were about 41 million iPhone cases out there.

:p

I've got a Marware one for mine. It's a form-fitting, black, stitched leather thingie (slightly poochy), and with a removable belt/pocket clip (sometimes I use it, sometimes I remove it and slide the entire thing into my pocket). It's nice, but you have to pull the iPhone out to use it; it's simply a carrying/protection case.

This is mine. (http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/iPhone-Products/C-E-O-Sleeve-for-iPhone)

This is the slightly tweaked/redesigned version for the 3G model. (http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/iPhone-3g-cases/C-E-O-Sleeve-for-iPhone-3G_2)

I've had mine for about a year now and it's nice. I'm not abusing anything as it is, but it does offer protection and if I'm going out for the day, visiting several places, I'll definitely use it.

beardedmacuser
2008-11-03, 18:08
I love my leather Vaja i-volution case for my pre-3G iPhone (they also make 3G cases). Admittedly it cost as much as my second-hand iPhone, but it adds very little extra bulk to the phone and the leather just feels lovely! The quality of the case is impeccable and it feels solid, understated and sophisticated. I haven't once taken the iPhone out of the case. For some reason I still haven't been charged import duty either! :)

If you can, try and bear with their shockingly appalling Flash-based website... their cases are worth it.

http://www.vajacases.com/

Kickaha
2008-11-03, 18:40
Danke.

We're looking at both always-on cases and slip-in cases. We both really like one leather flip-case we saw (Marware?) but it wasn't *secure* in any way, shape or form. All it needs is a frickin' piece of elastic strap on the top. (Might go get one and sew it in myself. I used to customize my Newton carrying cases like that... :) )

It's either that or a silicone condom case.

So yeah, um... any suggestions are welcome. :)

Maciej
2008-11-04, 00:57
I love my leather Vaja i-volution case for my pre-3G iPhone (they also make 3G cases). Admittedly it cost as much as my second-hand iPhone, but it adds very little extra bulk to the phone and the leather just feels lovely! The quality of the case is impeccable and it feels solid, understated and sophisticated. I haven't once taken the iPhone out of the case. For some reason I still haven't been charged import duty either! :)

If you can, try and bear with their shockingly appalling Flash-based website... their cases are worth it.

http://www.vajacases.com/

Wow, that's all I can say. Those cases are stunning. I think I found a Christmas gift.

beardedmacuser
2008-11-04, 03:56
Wow, that's all I can say. Those cases are stunning. I think I found a Christmas gift.

Yeah, I can't overstate just how well made my Vaja case feels. Mine is just simple black leather rather than anything flash. They're expensive, for sure, but I really don't see myself replacing my classic retro iPhone for a good few years yet so I reckon it's worth the cost.

But OMG their website sucks. :grumble:

Dave
2008-11-04, 09:28
It's either that or a silicone condom case.
I've got this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8540331&type=product&id=1188559784117&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8540331) one. It seems to work well enough, though I haven't done the drop test yet.

Yontsey
2008-11-04, 09:33
I just got one of those Invisible Shields and I love it. It keeps my phone in great shape and doesn't add any bulk to the phone.

kieran
2008-11-04, 09:50
I just have an Air Jacket on the back of my 3G.

Keeps the back from getting all scratched up.

Front of the phone has nothing. I have an Invisible Shield that came with the Air Jacket, but I don't think I'm going to put it on.

Maciej
2008-11-04, 14:46
I've always liked the silicone ones, but it seems like all of the ones for the iPhone are very bulky and fat. The reason I really want one is to add some friction to the surface of my original iPhone, its so damn slick. It only needs to be thin for that, I'm not worried about it surviving a fall, I've dropped it while wildly swinging my arms before and nothin happened. The thick silicone just seems to be overkill in my opinion, you only really need to protect it from scratching. :\

Souflay123
2008-11-04, 15:12
I got the wave case, I love it. But it would look much better if I had a white phone.

Maciej
2008-11-04, 15:15
I just have an Air Jacket on the back of my 3G.

Keeps the back from getting all scratched up.

Front of the phone has nothing. I have an Invisible Shield that came with the Air Jacket, but I don't think I'm going to put it on.

I missed your post originally. That seems like exactly the type of thing I've been looking for! But they don't seem to have one for the original iPhone. :(

limay
2008-12-19, 10:06
Have you seen the cases at Fortte? They over 6 different models for the iphone 3G....worth looking at....You can use this promotional code ( 30off ) The website is
www.fortte.com

Maciej
2008-12-19, 14:33
Have you seen the cases at Fortte? They over 6 different models for the iphone 3G....worth looking at....You can use this promotional code ( 30off ) The website is
www.fortte.com

Well done! Pretty transparent for easy flagging!

Yontsey
2008-12-25, 10:02
I just replaced the Invisible Shield on my 3G and I forgot how much I hate putting those on.

You can never seem to get it on perfect. Whether it's lining everything up properly or having some air bubbles or creases or some other stupid shit.

I'm sure I'm just anal about it, but still makes me upset.

GladToBeHere
2008-12-25, 12:09
The Luxe by iFrogz if great. the website does not do the case justice-- the colors are rich, the case fits snuggly. I've gotten four of them they're so nice. Comes with a protective skin for the glass, too.

noleli2
2009-06-08, 22:36
Bump!

Now that I'll be joining the ranks of the iPhoned, I'm looking for a simple, rubberized, always-on cover and a glass protector. Any suggestions?

noleli2
2009-06-15, 05:58
Ok, I'm leaning toward the iSkin solo (http://www.iskin.com/solo/features_screen.html?cart=12450335781169936). Any strong opinions either way on these?

doublem9876
2009-06-22, 02:03
Everybody seems to like these CaseCrowns: http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-iPhone-Soft-Polycarbonate-Slim/dp/B001IZKFC4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245654128&sr=8-3

Kraetos
2009-06-22, 02:35
Here is what my iPhone wears when it goes out:

Case

Incase Slider case for iPhone 3G (http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/slider-case-cl59056)

http://www.goincase.com/products/images/CL59056/detail/white1-1.jpg

This was the case for my 3G for most of it's life. It got really dented up by the time I bought my 3G S, so rather than reuse it, I bought a new one.

Pros
- Sturdy. It's like putting iPhone in a suit of armor. It has perfect coverage. I drop my iPhone probably once a week (I have butterfingers when it comes to expensive toys) and this thing protects it, every time.
- Variety of colors, including white. What's the point of a white iPhone if you're going to put a case that isn't white on it?
- Bottom slides off for dock access.
- Gaps in the case are no larger or smaller than they need to be. I can get to the headphone jack, the vibrate switch and volume rocker, and the power button with ease, but the gaps are by no means big enough to compromise the protective qualities of the case.

Cons
- Relatively thick. I've seen other cases that are thicker, but this one is up there. It's not uncomfortable in my pocket if it's the only thing in that pocket, even when I'm in my jeans. But I still know it's there. OTOH, a naked iPhone is so thin sometimes it feels like there's nothing at all in my pocket.
- Can trap dirt inside. I actually scratched the back of my 3G once when an exceptionally large/hard particle of debris got caught. The good news is, the new one I bought for the 3G S is slightly more snug. Should prevent dirt from getting inside.

Screen Protector

Anti-glare Film for iPhone 3G/3GS (http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/antiglare-film-for-iphone-3g)

http://www.powersupportusa.com/uploads/thumbnails/uploads/products/primary_images/iphone3G_film_464_295x325.jpg

I've always thought the crystal clear screen protector was stupid. It just introduces more glare, and the glass screen of the iPhone doesn't really need a protector. But, I really like the antiglare one.

Pros
- Protects the screen from scratches. (Duh.)
- The antiglare works as advertised. It's easier to see my phone's screen when there's a lot of ambient light.
- Has a really nice feel to it. This was the reason I decided get a screen protector at all. I've never liked the feel of the glass. I can't really describe it, but sometimes it feels too "sticky," like the screen is trying to hold onto my finger. But with this screen protector, it feels like I'm moving my finger over silk. It's great.
- Protects against finger/face smudges. Much like the new oleophobic, but better.

Cons
- It makes the color on the screen slightly less vivid. It looks like someone applied a very fine, very weak color noise filter in Photoshop to everything on the screen. You get used to it after a while, though, and it's minor enough where it's worth the tradeoff.
- A little difficult to put on, and traps air bubbles if you screw it up. Fortunately for me, I put so many screen protectors on peoples iPhones when I worked at the Apple Store that I can do it perfectly on the first try. If anyone wants, I can make a video of the ideal way to put one on.

While I adore my screen protector, I'm not nuts about my case. It's the best one I found but I don't think it's the best out there. I would love a clear case which isn't ugly so I could see the sexiness that is iPhone. I wouldn't mind a thinner case, either.

joveblue
2009-06-22, 05:29
I just replaced the Invisible Shield on my 3G and I forgot how much I hate putting those on.

You can never seem to get it on perfect. Whether it's lining everything up properly or having some air bubbles or creases or some other stupid shit.

I'm sure I'm just anal about it, but still makes me upset.

I have one on my iPod nano 3rd gen (the screens on those things would get scratched if you accidentally breathed on them, I swear :| :no: ). I recently had to replace it when the screen cracked and Apple replaced it under warranty. I used up all 3 that came in the packet just trying to get it on straight and without bubbles. I can only imagine how hard it would be on the much larger iPhone screen :\ :(

EDIT: I think I'll go naked when I get an iPhone though. I've heard all sorts of reports of people trying and failing to scratch it. And I've never heard of anyone successfully scratching it. And now it even has an anti-fingerprint coating (I presume this is not more conducive to scratching?). So why use a screen protector. Has anyone had any issues with going 'naked'? As for the plastic at the back I couldn't really give a shit about a few scuffs and scratches on that, I'd rather it get scratched then hide a beautiful piece of art behind an ugly case. :D

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-06-22, 07:53
The Luxe by iFrogz if great. the website does not do the case justice-- the colors are rich, the case fits snuggly. I've gotten four of them they're so nice. Comes with a protective skin for the glass, too.

I got the orange Luxe case for my 3GS and I like it very much. The texture is grippy but still silky feeling (hard to describe). Love the color too:

http://www.iphoneware.com/pro_images/ifrogz_Orange_Black_Luxe_Case_fits_3G_iPhone_1930. png

Maciej
2009-06-22, 10:33
EDIT: I think I'll go naked when I get an iPhone though. I've heard all sorts of reports of people trying and failing to scratch it. And I've never heard of anyone successfully scratching it. And now it even has an anti-fingerprint coating (I presume this is not more conducive to scratching?). So why use a screen protector. Has anyone had any issues with going 'naked'? As for the plastic at the back I couldn't really give a shit about a few scuffs and scratches on that, I'd rather it get scratched then hide a beautiful piece of art behind an ugly case. :D

I dunno, I'm really on the fence about getting a case. I have seen iPhones scratched, my dad has a couple little scratches, I had a couple scratches on my old phone. I think it really happens more accidentally than anyone "successfully scratching it." One thing to watch out for, when you put it into your pocket, is those little copper rivets on your jeans. Those get you more than keys, or anything in your pocket. IMO.

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-06-22, 10:52
I cracked the screen on my first gen iPhone from dropping it on a basement floor. The first thing I did after making sure my new iPhone worked was to put it in a case and slap a screen protector on it. I hate to do it, but I don't want a scratched up (or cracked!) screen.

drewprops
2009-06-22, 14:51
bassplayinMacFiend, that was exactly the sort of cover I was looking for... even the right color. I suspect the texture may be similar to that on my old Motorola PEBL... sort of like its part of a dive gear package... rubbery, but very grippy.

Regardless, I just ordered myself one of those this morning.... which means that I have committed over $15 toward getting in iPhone.... I wonder how long I'll tote around the iPhone cover before I actually order myself an iPhone?

jdcfsu
2009-06-22, 14:56
Since I goofed, and since no one has mentioned this particular case, I'm copying my post from the other thread:

I tend to roll with the phone caseless (naked?) but on the occasion that I'm on a work site doing construction (happens from time to time) I bought the Agent-18 EcoSlim (http://www.agent18.com/productdetail/iphones/slim-ecoshield-for-iphone/89.aspx).

I had an Agent-18 case for my first gen iPhone and loved it and they've improved on it with this design. It's slim, adding very little additional size to the phone, and it's pretty tough as well. It also looks great in white. Also, because it's a clamshell design, it shouldn't create the little scratches on the side of the phone that the traditional slider cases create. The original Agent-18 case I had did that on the first gen phone.

On my first gen iPhone I had the Anti-Glare film mentioned above, but decided not to get it for the 3G S. I read somewhere that the glass is a different type used this time around and should be better resistant to scratches, etc. We'll see. I'm good as it right now though.

Maciej
2009-06-22, 15:00
Your link is broken, jdcfsu.

Miko
2009-06-22, 15:00
I had an Agent-18 case for my iPod and loved it, but I went with I went with the Incase slider for the 3G S. Nice fit and the matte black one has a great feel to it like hard rubber. $37.00 is highway robbery IMO for a plastic case. I have seen leather cases that come with add-ins for $35.00.

I actually like the new oleophobic glass coating on the iPhone so I'm not putting a film to cover it. I had my 2G iPhone for two years without a film cover and the screen is flawless even now.

jdcfsu
2009-06-22, 15:08
Your link is broken, jdcfsu.

Fixed. Sorry about that.

I had an Agent-18 case for my iPod and loved it, but I went with I went with the Incase slider for the 3G S. Nice fit and the matte black one has a great feel to it like hard rubber. $37.00 is highway robbery IMO for a plastic case. I have seen leather cases that come with add-ins for $35.00.

It might seem like a lot, but I really like their products and wouldn't want a leather one, so I'm alright with the price.

Miko
2009-06-22, 15:18
I like it too that's why I bought the case, but looking at it from a (materials+construction+add-ins) the price is a bit steep for a plastic slider.

I'm happy with it so I will shut up now, just saying :err:

[EDIT] I was referring to the Incase slider being costly not the Agent-18 case.

noleli2
2009-06-22, 15:27
I ended up getting the iSkin solo, black. I really like it; it's almost like having a naked iPhone, but with a less slippery and more protected back, and a harder-to-scratch screen.

My two complains are that the hole cut for the headphone jack is a bit small, which results in the same it-doesn't-fit problem of the 2G iPhone, and that I have a few small bubbles around the edges of the screen protector. (The second problem is probably my fault.)

And of course, the screen protector isn't olephobic, so it doesn't look nearly as shiny. At least it won't get scratched.

Robo
2009-06-22, 15:34
I have a simple Golla pouch case for my iPhone. No screen protector, and no scratches on the screen - I think a case is enough.

jdcfsu
2009-06-22, 15:34
[EDIT] I was referring to the Incase slider being costly not the Agent-18 case.

Oh, haha. The Agent-18 one was roughly the same price so I figured that's what you were referring to.

Yontsey
2009-07-02, 11:15
I have an Invisible Shield on my 3G right now but to be honest, it's kind of annoying. It looks crappy because it's hard to put it on perfectly and then the corners start to peel over time of going in and out of my pocket. Plus people ask me if I broke my phone sometimes because they see the lines of the shield.

I was wondering how many people went caseless with their phones? How well do they hold up to scratches? At this point the honeymoon phase is over so I'm not all busted up over scratches but I don't want to be an asshole either.

Thoughts?

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-07-02, 11:38
After seeing what I did to my first gen iPhone in the 2 years I owned it (dents all over the back, on the corners, cracked screen, etc.), the first thing I did after I confirmed my new iPhone powered up and make phone calls is slap it in a case and put a display cover on the front.

drewprops
2009-08-02, 10:40
^bump^

I was at an event back in the spring and some of us were standing around talking about smartphone cases. One of the guys pulled his G1 out of his pocket, held it out in front of himself, and DROPPED it.

He wasn't short.

It was nearly a 5 foot drop.

The phone kept working just fine, it was a really effective demo.

The problem is, I can't remember the name brand of the case manufacturer and I'd really like to track it down now. From what I remember the case seemed as though it were made of aluminum.

The closest thing I've seen so far is the Otterbox "Defender" (http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-3g-3gs-defender-case/) case.

But I don't think this is the case I saw for the G1.

Any ideas about what it was I saw??

Robo
2009-08-02, 10:43
Any ideas about what it was I saw??

Someone secretly trying to break their G1 so they could get something better?

drewprops
2009-08-02, 10:44
Ooops. I just found this one called the "Armor Case (http://www.boxwave.com/products/armorcase/armor-case-apple-iphone-3g-s_3592.htm)", but I don't know if this is the thing he had...

drewprops
2009-08-02, 10:45
Someone secretly trying to break their G1 so they could get something better?

LOL!!
:lol:

Yontsey
2010-04-05, 10:50
I have a Invisible Shield on my 3G right now and its been on for awhile so naturally it's starting to peel off on corners from going in and out of my pocket all day long. It's annoying to feel and looks ugly.

That being said, I'm thinking about just going no cover on it. I plan on upgrading this summer when the new iPhone is released.

I know it's individual preference but what are peoples thoughts on just taking the cover off and going no cover?

jdcfsu
2010-04-05, 10:55
I know it's individual preference but what are peoples thoughts on just taking the cover off and going no cover?

I've gone no cover or case since I picked up the 3GS last summer. The backing has some noticeable scratches/dings from where it's been dropped, but the screen itself still looks like I just purchased it (minus the finger prints of course). Considering Apple is no longer selling screen protectors or cases with screen protectors in their stores, and given my experience, they're not really necessary.

tomoe
2010-04-05, 11:00
I just have a clear Air Jacket for a case and no screen protector. IME, the screen protectors are a complete PITA to properly put on, and, like jdcfsu said, don't really seem necessary anyway.

Majost
2010-04-05, 12:29
I do think they have a value for the pre-oleophobic screens, though. I've only ever owned a 3GS (naked!), but a friend and his wife have earlier versions. One has a screen cover, the other doesn't. I just don't like the way the non-coated glass feels.

Yontsey
2010-04-06, 08:39
I peeled it off yesterday and to be honest, it feels like a new phone. The feel is different (obviously) but better yet, the screen looks brighter and clearer which is a nice little bonus. The fingerprints on the screen are a bit of a bummer but it looks so much nice without that shitty cover on it.

nikstar101
2010-04-14, 06:07
I have always used Invisishields on my iPhones and i have been very happy with them. The screen look brand new.

Yes they can go a little crazy at the edges but that only happened after about 18 months of use so £10 every year and half is find by me. As for putting them on, i find that they go on perfectly. I have had no bubbles, marks or lines on mine.

The rear shields are a tad more problematic as they always seem to peel at the edges. But for the front cover i would definately use them again.

Yontsey
2010-04-14, 09:41
Actually you shouldn't have to pay anything to get them replaced. They have a lifetime warranty and if you call them, they'll ship you a new one for free sans shipping.

nikstar101
2010-04-16, 08:34
Yeah your right, but i can never be arse to sort that out!! Damn my laziness.

jacksonstewart
2010-12-22, 05:48
I bought 2 sets of protectors for my iPhone, they were decent, and I love them! And I have 4 extra mirrored and clear for use later! thanks!!!

kieran
2010-12-23, 07:43
I took the case off of my 3G to clean it and I realized how small and light the iPhone really is.

I'll be keeping the case off for a while I think.