PDA

View Full Version : Final Hurdle To iPhone Ownership : Voice Dialing

drewprops
2008-11-02, 19:52
It's been my squeaky wheel here for awhile: voice dial on the iPhone.

It's the only thing keeping me from spending inordinate amounts of money on buying a device that I'm sure to lose and/or break. But the voice dial feature is my deal-breaker and so far I've heard NO reports from people I know who have tested the various apps out there on the App Store.

The comments seem to indicate that there are NO solutions on the App Store that provide the same seamless dialing-entirely-from-a-bluetooth-headset experience that I already have with my old fashioned "dumb phone".

I need for YOU guys who own iPhones to get out there and test all the iPhone voice dialing solutions and tell me what works best... and no, I don't want to use AT&T's stupid $5/month voice dialing. I want the iPhone to be the resolution point for all of my dealings, not some arcane web-based interface that surely doesn't interface with my ever-changing address book as well as nimbly as a simple sync between phone and computer.

:(

psmith2.0
2008-11-12, 00:32
Hey, drew. I've not used this, but I'll probably download it tomorrow. In the meantime, you can read about it. It's one of the top free iPhone downloads, and it's got a pretty good rating:

Say Who Dialer. (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293548215&mt=8)

stratotom
2008-11-12, 08:50
I tried this out about a week ago, not because I really need voice dialing, but more to see how effective it was.

Basic impressions were; it's definitely pretty competent at deciphering what you're saying, but if you have a large contacts list you will get several hits. The top one is usually the one you're after, no ideas how some of the others get on there.

I don't use a bluetooth headset and haven't tried it with the stereo headset, but it does require you to 'press & hold' a button whilst speaking the name. Not sure how this would be implemented hands-free. I can also imagine it would get very confused if there was lots of background noise.

I know it's not an in-depth 'review' (got somewhere to be atm) and probably won't be the decider, but essentially, it works on some level. Not sure it's at the level you require though.