PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of price drops on single G5 1.8GHz after Expo?

jollyfellow
2005-01-03, 03:56
Hi

does anybody know anything about any possible revisions of the PowerMac G5 line, in particular the low end model and the likelihood that there will be a price reduction on the low end model?

I am asking because I have had two Powerbooks (my main machine and my backup machine) die on me over Christmas and it will take one month for Apple to fix them. At the same time, my PowerMac G4 started to make a strange noise that sounds like it is about to die soon, too.

Should I hold out and risk the G4 blow up, or should I purchase the low end G5 (Local Apple store has them in stock) and send the G4 off for repair before it blows up too but then see prices come down a week later because they want to get rid of their old stock to make place for new models.

How can anybody have so much bad luck. Apple hardware doesn't seem as rock solid as it used to be. Two and a half dead Macs over Christmas just sucks. Still I try to stay in good spirit - I just don't want to waste any more money. I have already been punished enough.

roc
2005-01-03, 04:33
I'd suggest sucking it up. However, I believe it will be more than a week before new models are available and legacy product probably won't be discounted until the time of the actual release of the new kit.

Then again, we won't know until His Steveness sings Tuesday next...

Luca
2005-01-03, 07:50
The PowerMacs were updated more recently than the PowerBooks and eMac. I think one of those two, or perhaps both of them, will be much more likely to get an update at the expo.

I'd still wait the week or so until the expo to buy one if you want to. There's very little chance they'll be updated, but they could always do something like start including iLife '05 or Tiger with computers purchased afterwards.

colonelforbin
2005-01-03, 12:00
that bastion of accurate predictions, MacOSRumors, suggests that MWSF will be consumer-based and that power updates will come before MWSF.

:err: tomorrow is tuesday, right?

psmith2.0
2005-01-03, 12:14
that bastion of accurate predictions, MacOSRumors, suggests that MWSF will be consumer-based and that power updates will come before MWSF.

Translation (considering the source): late February/early March.

:)

They also mention that today marks their 10th year and third month (who celebrates that particular milestone?) and all I could think was "a decade-plus, and not right once".

:D

But seriously...would Apple roll out updates before MWSF? I don't know, I'm asking. Have they ever? Does it make sense, from a PR/press/marketing standpoint? Or does it even matter? I suppose if there's nothing earth-shattering about them (just standard, expected processor and hard drive bumps), they could do it in the week prior to an Expo, just to clear room and put all the focus on any new, whiz-bang announcements that people would actually get excited about.

Seems odd, but, at the same time, I could understand and believe it (despite the source).

Maybe tomorrow - or this week - will see some modest G5, PowerBook G4 and/or Xserve revs (doing them now, if they're going to be somewhat modest and underwhelming, might be better for two reasons: 1) folks will know not to get all torqued-up for a PowerBook G5 or 3GHz G5 announcement next Tuesday and just learn to accept it/deal with it, and 2) any disappointment/griping from such low-key, "ehh?" updates can't last long or have any impact, because they can hit folks over the head with all the cool shit they're going to wheel out during the keynote (if these rumors are packing any truth).

:)

BlueRabbit
2005-01-03, 19:44
But seriously...would Apple roll out updates before MWSF? I don't know, I'm asking. Have they ever? Does it make sense, from a PR/press/marketing standpoint? Or does it even matter? I suppose if there's nothing earth-shattering about them (just standard, expected processor and hard drive bumps), they could do it in the week prior to an Expo, just to clear room and put all the focus on any new, whiz-bang announcements that people would actually get excited about.
I seem to recall an iSync/iCal update right after New Year's (I think it was in 2003), but I highly doubt that they would do anything bigger than that. I mean, it would only take a couple minutes to show new PM's at the keynote; that's barely any time at all compared to the inevitable iLife '05 demo. :p