PDA

View Full Version : New iPod or Price Cut?

Vjsz
2005-01-03, 10:31
Well, I just sold my good old 3g 15 gb Ipod last week.Yesterday i was one click away of a 40gb Ipod Photo.But then i began wondering what were the chances that a new Ipod were introduce at macexpo, like a video ipod .
Or maybe a Price cut..
What do u think guys..it is possible for this to happen?
VJS

psmith2.0
2005-01-03, 10:52
No, and hell no.

1. The iPods just seemed to have been updated, a couple of months ago. I'm guessing the full-size white models are pretty well set right now. If anything happens at MWSF regarding iPods, it'll be a bump to the minis and the introduction of this much-talked-about flash-based iPod (which I'm not even 100% sure on).

2. Steve was very clear and adamant - and he was totally right - about the uselessness of a video iPod at this particular point.

The content - unlike with music and photos - just isn't there. Everyone owns CDs and can buy from the iTMS. And more and more people are getting digital cameras. That's why the iPod makes sense. I'm guessing they did their research and determined that there aren't nearly as many camcorder-owning iMovie users as there are camera-owning iPhoto users.

If Apple released a video iPod right now - with no video/movie-based version of the iTMS and no legal/ethical way to reproduce the content from rented or purchased commercial titles - they'd pretty much be saying, in a roundabout way, "hey, go download stuff illegally online...or dupe commercial DVDs!"

This from the company that puts a "Don't steal music" sticker on the screen of each new iPod? They can't do that, as a legit, mainstream company.

:\

As for a price-cut, I don't imagine that either. It's not like they're having trouble moving their iPods. They could raise them $50 and people would probably still buy them (I'm not advocating or suggesting that, mind you). They're all sitting at the "99" marks (which makes me hope any new Flash iPod somehow gets to $99 AND the iPod mini drops to $199). Then you'd have a kick-ass range - all $100 apart and easy to figure out: $99 flash to $599 60GB photo, and four models in between, in $100 increments: mini, 20GB, 40GB, 40GB photo.

I'd be happy with that...a flash-based player at $99 and a $50 drop on the mini.

But it should go without saying at this point: you never can tell, and there's always the possibility of some wild-ass surprise, totally out of left field that no one knew was coming (the eMac, iBook G4 and AirPort Express spring to mind), so the rule of thumb (followed by most) is not to buy anything major this close to a Macworld Expo keynote, unless you just really, really had to and needed it. Sure, buy a USB cable, or a pack of DVD-R disks, maybe? Or some iPod socks. But certainly nothing bigger than that. You'd be insane, this close to the event.

Wraven
2005-01-03, 10:52
Vjsz, welcome to AppleNova!

It is POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely that anything will happen with the iPod line, other than an iPod flash (but I still have some doubts on that one). The iPod photo was just introduced a few months ago (September or October). BUT - wait until after the MWSF KeyNote to make your purchase just to be safe.

DrGruv
2005-01-03, 10:58
I would guess yes to the price cut - to further solidify their position. Macrumors buyers guide:

Product:
iPod

Last Release:
July 19, 2004

Days Since Update:
168 (Average = 167)

Recommendation:
Don't Buy - Updates soon

Special Notes:
none.

Vjsz
2005-01-03, 11:06
Thanks for the Welcome Wraven,
Well Based on all these i guess i will have to wait 8 days to see what happen...Its really odd being with out my Ipod..I had then since they come out..1 of the first ones, then a 10gb , a 15gb...and now i was thinking in the Photo one...But i will waut and see what happen.
VJS

psmith2.0
2005-01-03, 11:06
I considered that, the 20GB and 40GB white click-wheel iPods are a good six months old. But you know what? I'm also thinking that they're serving two capacity/price ranges really well. I don't buy into the "bump the iPod, just because we can" thinking.

20GB is a healthy amount, probably more than the average person has. Then you've got the 40GB (and the 40GB and 60GB photo models, if you're a true music hound) if 20GB just doesn't cut it.

It won't bother me if the white iPods stayed at 20 and 40GB until summer. They don't seem to have a problem selling, at their current price/capacity.

If the rumors pan out, there will be a new low-end model for ultra-casual listeners (flashPod), and all the solid talk is that the mini is getting bumped to 5GB (250 more songs, for a total of 1,250...plenty for the casual/intermediate user).

Robo
2005-01-03, 17:10
The iPods may traditionally get a mid-generation hard drive bump but I don't think that is necessary this year - we sorta got the iPod photo instead. The only additions to the iPod front this MWSF would be...

A 60GB iPod at $499 - I hope Apple does this...they probably won't, but it'd be smart
A 20GB iPod photo at $399 - If the iPp line isn't exactly taking off (is it?)
The rumored "iPod micro" - seeming less and less likely
The Generation 2 iPod mini - 5GB/$199/new colors - but does Apple need to upgrade it?

With the Generation 5 iPod (which I'm betting will have color screens standard as the big improvement) we may see increased capacity, but I really don't think until then.

And certainly no iPod video until Apple introduces an iLife Movie Store or something.

Just my thoughts...

porter
2005-01-03, 17:43
Business-wise, it doesn't make sense to cut the price of iPods because they are doing just fine. But this is Apple, and who the hell knows what they will spring on us in Macworld. So I'm telling people I know to just wait until Jobs makes his speech. Better safe than sorry. Besides, he makes his speech on the 11th, so it's not that bad of a wait.

BarracksSi
2005-01-03, 18:17
The [video] content - unlike with music and photos - just isn't there.

Not only that, but the storage & delivery of all that data isn't there, either. I wouldn't want to bother with keeping digital copies of my DVDs in a noticeably low-quality format, so I'd want several hundred gigs of hard drive space to make video worthwhile. Plus, when I can transfer all that video stuff as quickly as I do with iTunes today, it might be viable.

Until then, I wouldn't want a portable video jukebox. Sorry.

adam_tj
2005-01-03, 18:36
My iDea-

Jan 05'-Apple renames iTunes to 'iMedia' and shows off it's new movie-selling capability. Movies sell for 4.99 apiece. The iPod Photo gets a firmware update to allow movie playing.
Other MWSF Announcements-
iPod Flash
iPhone
iMac mini
iWork
iLife 05'
G5 3gHz
Mar 05'-Tiger introduced

June 05'-eMac Dropped, Powerbooks go G5, iPod gets Bluetooth

Oct.05'-G5 iBooks, 1 barebones iBook left G4 as the notebook version of iMac Mini

Dec. 05'-TabletMac introduced, iPod gets AirPort
---------------
Jan 06'-G5 @ 4gHz, AirFire connectivity put into Powerbook and G5(wireless firewire), iLife 06', and more.....

BarracksSi
2005-01-03, 18:42
AirFire? Nah... call it Napalm!

psmith2.0
2005-01-03, 18:46
My iDea-

Jan 05'-Apple renames iTunes to 'iMedia' and shows off it's new movie-selling capability. Movies sell for 4.99 apiece. The iPod Photo gets a firmware update to allow movie playing.
Other MWSF Announcements-
iPod Flash
iPhone
iMac mini
iWork
iLife 05'
G5 3gHz
Mar 05'-Tiger introduced

A bit overly-optimistic (and crack-induced) there, dont'cha think? :p

Jeez...have you ever known a Macworld Expo keynote to be that jam-packed? If all eight of those things (especially the two particularly wild-ass ones) occur, a $100 iTMS certificate will be heading your way on January 12.

;)

The movie thing? Wouldn't we have heard rumblings about this by now? From somewhere? That would simply be too big a secret to keep, involving too many people and too many companies. Word would've leaked at some point in 2004. A movie version of the standard-setting iTMS? Something like that doesn't stay a secret.

I'm totally with you on iWork, iLife 05 and a Tiger announcement. Totally reasonable and realistic with - in the case of iLife and iWork - detailed reporting by a site with a great track record. And announcing a shipping date for Tiger - even if months away - has been done with previous OS X versions, right? Gives everyone something to look forward to, AND is a bit of a poke in the eye to Microsoft and their Longhorn progress (which I don't even think exists, truth be told :p )

I'm on the fence on the iMac mini/$499 headless thing. I so want to believe, I do, but I just don't know. Same goes for the iPodflash (flashPod).

I don't think the 3GHz G5 or the iPhone stands a chance. I think the G5 WILL hit 3GHz, but later in 2005...probably about December 22.

:D

2005-01-03, 18:52
Honestly, I can't see Apple rebranding iTunes to include a separate movie store. I'm betting on a stand-alone app...probably mp4 based.

While I'm in the betting mood: iPod Video Q2/3. S-Video out. No backwards compatibility with previous iPod models. Why? Seriously, how many teevees nowadays have FW/iLink input? A few, but not as many as we'd all like. S-Video is the ease-of-use standard.

iPod flash: 2 models. One with screen, one without. Screened version eventually takes over the mini slot completely at 5GB. micro version (sans screen) stays between 1-2 GB. New handheld Belkin controller introduced within a month.

So there. :p

adam_tj
2005-01-03, 18:53
the iPhone could turn out to be a Motorola phone with an updated version of the Symbian OS that supports iTunes. It doesnt have to be by Apple

Also, Apple may see the need for a 3 gHz G5. Tiger would look great on 3gHz. (though i also doubt it, it is fun to dream.)

adam_tj
2005-01-03, 19:26
709, couldnt Apple release a firmware update that allows the headphone jack to output video, kinda like on digital cameras?

Heck, you could do that for all the iPods.

Jay
2005-01-03, 20:13
709, couldnt Apple release a firmware update that allows the headphone jack to output video, kinda like on digital cameras?

Heck, you could do that for all the iPods.

No. The iPod Photo might be able to pull it off but I'm not sure exactly how it is hooked up. But the typical headphone jack has 2 sectors (for lack of a better term) that is separated by an insulator for stereo head phones, one for right and left channels. Video ones have 3 "sectors" for left, right audio and then a separate sector for video. So that part would have to be added to the port on the iPod to make it work. I believe it is there in the iPod photo but it won't be in your standard audio jack.

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-03, 20:48
AirFire? Nah... call it Napalm!

Heh. :devil:

BarracksSi
2005-01-03, 21:05
Video ones have 3 "sectors" for left, right audio and then a separate sector for video. So that part would have to be added to the port on the iPod to make it work. I believe it is there in the iPod photo but it won't be in your standard audio jack.

It looks to me like it's already there. If you hooked it up to your TV, even without the Dock's S-video and through the headphone jack, its music is in stereo, correct? The picture may only be stills, but it's still a video signal -- after all, it has to be in order to get displayed. If the iPod had the processing power for it, it could play moving video on the existing hardware.

At least that's my take. But, I'd want a hard drive at least 5-10 times bigger before I started loading up a few thousand video files or a few DVDs.

Jay
2005-01-03, 22:29
It looks to me like it's already there. If you hooked it up to your TV, even without the Dock's S-video and through the headphone jack, its music is in stereo, correct? The picture may only be stills, but it's still a video signal -- after all, it has to be in order to get displayed. If the iPod had the processing power for it, it could play moving video on the existing hardware.

At least that's my take. But, I'd want a hard drive at least 5-10 times bigger before I started loading up a few thousand video files or a few DVDs.

I was thinking thats how it was set up but I didn't know off hand. It would still only work with the iPod photos however. But I doubt Apple would do it in the first place.

BarracksSi
2005-01-03, 22:39
I was thinking thats how it was set up but I didn't know off hand. It would still only work with the iPod photos however. But I doubt Apple would do it in the first place.

I wasn't sure either, but after quite a bit of digging I finally rediscovered the video-left-right cable that Apple includes to plug into the headphone jack. I knew that the Dock had S-Video and line out audio, though.

And, yes, of course it would only work with the photo iPods. I would expect that those will become standard models when the novelty wears off and their current HD capacities become small-to-average-sized in the world of portable media players.

Give me an iBook with a terabyte of HD storage, an iPod at least half as roomy, and FireWire 10,000 and I'll think that video iPods will be a good idea. Without being able to handle the high-quality video files as easily as iTunes handles music files, it would be a waste of effort to try to use one.

(I'm repeating myself with that last paragraph, aren't I?)

adam_tj
2005-01-03, 22:53
Jay, couldnt Apple hook it up with mono and video? That would be so cool-

"Boss:do you have the designs? Employee:Yes, there right here." (Whips out silver iPod mini and plugs into projector) Crowd+Boss:Ooh. Aah."

Apple, make the minis do that THIS INSTANT!!!

Messiahtosh
2005-01-04, 00:42
Jobs will come out and talk about the incredible holiday sales of the iMac and iPod, the retail effort, and announce the Tiger launch date. He'll then get into the meat of the presentation, starting with new software releases from third parties.

From there it will go back to Jobs and he'll get into Tiger.

After Tiger, Jobs will introduce the $499 Mac.

After the $499 Mac will come the new iLife suite that will go with it.

Then the new iWorks suite.

Then the iPod flash will be unveiled. End O' Keynote.

Daveydweeb
2005-01-04, 01:16
Jobs will come out and talk about the incredible holiday sales of the iMac and iPod, the retail effort, and announce the Tiger launch date. He'll then get into the meat of the presentation, starting with new software releases from third parties.

That's going to be a hell of a keynote. After all, there's only so many times you can say "But there's just one more thing..." without looking like an ass. :)

But then... what about the PowerMac? Isn't it going to get any attention at all? Speaking of which, what about the XServe? The Powerbook? The iPhone?

The Return of the 'nut
2005-01-04, 01:49

If true, there is no question that the 499 iMac would be the final part of the keynote. There is no bigger news and no bigger shocker than a mac at 499.

BlueRabbit
2005-01-04, 02:07
But then... what about the PowerMac? Isn't it going to get any attention at all? Speaking of which, what about the XServe? The Powerbook? The iPhone?
As long as it's only a speed bump, the PM/Xserve/PB's should only take about 5 minutes each, at most. Either that, or they could be updated in the weeks after the keynote. The only thing I could see taking up a lot of time would be a G5 PB, which is a bit unlikely. Either that or the iPhone, which has been confirmed to exist, and could be shown.

Vjsz
2005-01-04, 09:29
so..at the end..i will have to wait to buy my Ipod Photo..wich was the reason i start this thing

Messiahtosh
2005-01-04, 09:40
If true, there is no question that the 499 iMac would be the final part of the keynote. There is no bigger news and no bigger shocker than a mac at 499.

Here's my revision.

The iPod flash will be unveiled

New iLife Suite.

Jobs will introduce the $499 Mac. And all the software will go with it of course.

End O' Keynote.

Jay
2005-01-04, 16:35
Jay, couldnt Apple hook it up with mono and video? That would be so cool-

"Boss:do you have the designs? Employee:Yes, there right here." (Whips out silver iPod mini and plugs into projector) Crowd+Boss:Ooh. Aah."

Apple, make the minis do that THIS INSTANT!!!

It is still a hardware issue. Also the iPod Photo probably has a special chip for the play back of Photos and relay that signal to the port, it probably also covers the color screen. Maybe with some really creative programing it could be done but I doubt it. Also how are you supposed to view videos on the B/W screen? It's not even grey scale. I don't think it would happen anyway because a 2" screen and 60 GB of HD space isn't enough, you are better off getting yourself an iBook or PowerBook with an external HD.

Cool maybe, practical: HELL NO!
IMHO anyway.

Unbeliever
2005-01-04, 17:45
Here's my revision.

The iPod flash will be unveiled

New iLife Suite.

Jobs will introduce the $499 Mac. And all the software will go with it of course.

End O' Keynote.

you missed the "Mac users all around the world wet their pants" part
:lol:

That would be a keynote to die for :|

zac4mac
2005-01-05, 07:28
I hear an awful lot of "apologist" talk on the subject of a "VideoPod". It's not that bad of an idea.
A 60GB PhotoPod should be able to hold plenty. A friend of mine has been going nuts the last year playing with DIVX. Fair to good quality and much smaller filesizes. H.264 is sure to be better than that. A/V out makes it better, but I could watch a show if I've got my bifocals. I had a Casio LCD pocket TV that was my constant companion thru the Gulf War(my little brother was there) and watched the towers fall on 9-11. It died shortly thereafter, but had a screen not much bigger then my PhotoPod.
That being said, I still don't think His Steveness will let it happen..

Z

2005-01-05, 07:45
I wasn't sure either, but after quite a bit of digging I finally rediscovered the video-left-right cable that Apple includes to plug into the headphone jack. I knew that the Dock had S-Video and line out audio, though.That's probably RCA audio (red+white plugs) if it's meant to come out of the headphone jack. I didn't know that the Photo Dock had S-Video out. That's good to know. Although I have to believe the iPod Video will have it integrated in the iPod itself, as I cant see carrying around a Dock+Comp just to play video off your iPod. Why not just play it off the Comp itself then?

morningstarrising
2005-01-05, 20:42
Oh look new microdrives for the mini (http://www.elitestv.com/pub/2005/Jan/EEN41dc130ed6972.html)

With this announcement, the iPod flash isn't looking so goo, but it can still happen.

But I do see something like this:

iPod forcast for 2005-2006

1 GB iPod Flash $149

5GB iPod mini $199
8GB iPod mini $249
10GB iPod mini $299

40 GB iPod g5 $349
(color screens)
60 Gb iPod g5 $399

60 iPod photo g2 $449
80 ipod Photo g2 $499

then next:

iPod forcast 2006-2007

4 GB iPod Flash $99
8 GB ipod flash $149

10GB iPod mini $199
20GB iPod mini $249

The iPod and iPod photo will merger this generation.

60GB iPod g6 $299
80 Gb iPod g6 $399

and the beginning of the iPod VIDEO

80 iPod video $499
120 ipod video $599

the "iPhone" from Apple/Motorola will pop up this year for about $599(less for those who get a plan) but it'll be outside of the iPod family, since it is going to be an all in one item and Apple isn't going to ever put all there products in one machine.

The iPhone will replace the iPods g6 in 2007 with most people either going to the iPod video for with Photo and Video or the iPod mini g3 for music.

This pretty much follows how Apple so far went with changes in the last two generation. Feel free to change whatever.

BarracksSi
2005-01-05, 20:58
That's probably RCA audio (red+white plugs) if it's meant to come out of the headphone jack. I didn't know that the Photo Dock had S-Video out. That's good to know. Although I have to believe the iPod Video will have it integrated in the iPod itself, as I cant see carrying around a Dock+Comp just to play video off your iPod. Why not just play it off the Comp itself then?

That adapter cable I mentioned plugs into the headphone jack and sends out a stereo audio pair plus a composite video signal. It's just like the a/v jack in later clamshell iBooks and in many camcorders.

So, yes, you can play slideshows over video from the iPod alone right now. ;)

Check out the bottom of this page -
http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/autosyncphotos.html

FWIW, I can play slideshows from my digital camera onto a TV by plugging a minijack-to-RCA cable into my TV's or VCR's RCA inputs. But, the only sound is from video clips (and it's in mono), and the picture library is only the shots that are on the camera's card.

thegelding
2005-01-06, 01:19
thinksecret is now saying iPod flash is a go (though maybe late to ship)....

more lawsuits to come

though MWSF looks huge now

g

Messiahtosh
2005-01-06, 01:33
thinksecret is now saying iPod flash is a go (though maybe late to ship)....

more lawsuits to come

though MWSF looks huge now

g :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

morningstarrising
2005-01-06, 14:51
Shoot, this means that this will happen:

1 GB iPodfFlash $149
2GB ipod flash $199
5GB iPod mini $249

and then later in the year 10GB iPod Mini will show up at $299..and the death of the iPod 20

Messiahtosh
2005-01-06, 14:58
Shoot, this means that this will happen:

1 GB iPodfFlash $149
2GB ipod flash $199
5GB iPod mini $249

and then later in the year 10GB iPod Mini will show up at $299..and the death of the iPod 20The 20 GB won't go away and the mini's price will never reach $299.

If the 10 GB mini comes out, it will just replace the 5 or 4 GB mini at the same price.

morningstarrising
2005-01-06, 15:13
I woud think so too, but this is Apple. and the same company who brought out the 4 GB mini for 249.

the mini will replace the bigger iPod line, so a 10GB mini would pretty much equal the regular 20GB iPod since everyone who wanted one got one by now or moved up to 40. While this is happening they lower the 40 GB and 60GB iPod prices and bring in the 80GB iPod photo at the 60GB photo price.

then next year after that the 20GB and 40GB iPod mini will pretty much be the standard iPods while the iPod photo(60, 80) and iPod video(80, 120) take care of the high-end and the iPod flash take cars of the low-end.

Messiahtosh
2005-01-06, 15:37
What the hell are you talking about?

It's as simple as this:

The iPod line on the low end won't move in terms of price, but it will in terms of capacity. Once the new lower priced iPods come out, we'll see some capacity updates to it in the long run, but its price will stay at $149.

The low end iPod line goes from $149 to $249 and the models this year will probably be 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4-5 GB for the mini. Possibly later in the year it could become 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8-10 GB for the mini.

The regular iPod line will inherit a color screen sometime later in the year and it will just be called the iPod. $299-$399.

Possible video iPods could debut at the end of the year for maybe $599?

morningstarrising
2005-01-06, 16:38
That be all fine and well if they could all fit. But they don't.

This is why The regular iPod line will be faded into the mini line starting with the intrduction of 10GB at $299.

The 20 won't be need anymore once the 40 GB goes down in price(349) along with the 60GB(399). This will bring the 80GB ipod Photo out at 599 and lower the 60GB price(499).

They won't merge the iPod and the ipod Photo till the iPod Video is ready in, lets say, late 2006(499-599).

This will both lower the prices of the 60GB and 80GB iPod photo line to the iPod line(349-399) and let Apple bring out the 20GB and 40GB ipod mini line at mini prices(249-299) untill the ipod Flash line(now at 4GB and 8GB) catches up to the size of the mini but at flash prices(99-199). This would then leave Apple with Three iPod Product lines:

iPod flash: 20GB and 40GB(149-199)

iPod mini: 60GB and 80GB(249-299)

iPod Video: 80GB and 120GB(499-599)

Yeah, your way is simple. But we aren't dealing with simple here. This is Apple, and they will charge us for the name. Just look at the 4GB ipod mini when it could be cheaper.

I don't ever see Apple to hit 99 dollars point unless they are forced to(even then not).

jpsmitty14
2005-01-07, 17:42
I went to buy a 4G 20 gb Ipod from mobileplanet.com and the customer reps (two different ones, I called twice) told me to wait til the end of January because he said, and I quote "the new ones will be avaiable then." I asked if he meant the new minis and he said no, ipods with media players. He said that I could order the 20 gb now, but the price will go down when the new ones are released. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 19:00
First time I heard that...

oldmacfan
2005-01-07, 19:11

iPod mini: 40GB and 80GB(249-299)

This scheme is silly, why would anyone buy a 40GB mini if they could get a 40GB flash iPod for $50 less???

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 19:13
oops, I mean 60GB.

And by 2008 we'll have 60GB and 80GB Flash palyers that'll replace the Hard Drive iPods.

Intresting thing is a 120GB flash drive would be safer then a hard drive video player.

oldmacfan
2005-01-07, 19:23
I must also say that we are a long way from having 20-40 GB Flash iPods. I might be inclined to believe that the product line capacity increases will slow in the next two years and that pricing will become more reasonable.

oldmacfan
2005-01-07, 19:54
I am waiting for the day that high-speed flash drives replace disc based drives myself.

I can actually see the day that M$ or Apple start selling their OS on a user installable "flash device". The idea being that your personal files will get stored on bulk slower media (fast by todays standards) and the OS will not have to load into main system memory since it will be usable from where it is. Now the question some of you will ask is where the 3rd party applications will be installed and where would personal preferences be stored. The OS device would have plenty of room for all of this. The OS section of the device would be a highly secure partition and applications would have to be completely free standing and operate from the main partition. Computers could also come with multiple slots for these types of devices.

Don't worry, I consider myself completely certifiable.

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 20:53
Yeah I don't see flash based iPods till 2007. Which is why the mini line will hit 20GB and 40GB late next year, while flash gets stuck in 4GB and 8GB.

High-speed flash drives will be something to see, specially once the OS systems get into it.... see Apple doing this with OS 11.

defaultmike
2005-01-08, 01:30
Yeah I don't see flash based iPods till 2007. Which is why the mini line will hit 20GB and 40GB late next year, while flash gets stuck in 4GB and 8GB.

High-speed flash drives will be something to see, specially once the OS systems get into it.... see Apple doing this with OS 11.
When did this thread turn into crazy-bizzaro iPod predictions? I mean, 40Gb iPod minis by late next year??? WHAT?

morningstarrising
2005-01-08, 01:44
Well if they are going to have 8GB and 10GB microdrives by June, then I can see 20Gb and 40GB by next year.

This would pretty much drive down prices in 12 months, and we may see some price cuts or iPod GB boost as soon as next week(see last year when the 10 went 15).

25 or 30GB next week? It can happen, specially if Apple is going to phase out 20GB by August and have only 40GB and 60GB iPods.

Messiahtosh
2005-01-08, 01:44
Yeah honestly. OS 11? STFU.

morningstarrising
2005-01-08, 01:48
Yeah honestly. OS 11? STFU.

Hey now, that was a joke. But if they are going to do something revolutionary with flash drives as the new hard drives in say five years, it'd be time to move to OS 11 or OS XI or whatever Jobs want to call it.

Messiahtosh
2005-01-08, 01:51
Hey now, that was a joke. But if they are going to do something revolutionary with flash drives as the new hard drives in say five years, it'd be time to move to OS 11 or OS XI or whatever Jobs want to call it.Christ! :no:

morningstarrising
2005-01-08, 01:56
I guess you don't look to far ahead...

Messiahtosh
2005-01-08, 02:00
I guess you don't look to far ahead...No, but sometimes I look too far ahead.

Baron Munchausen
2005-01-09, 09:41
The discussions on flash memory points to something for sure.

IMHO Flash iPod is likely to fill in the gap below ever-growing iPod minis.

However, everyone talks about iPod photo/video being something to play copyright material. This could happen but I am hoping for another step forward...

I believe iPod video will be a way to store your own still and moving pics as you record them. Sanyo now has a tapeless DV cam using MPEG4 or is it H.264 compression and these people :

http://www.mcetech.com/quickstreamdv/index.html

Have what is basically a ruggedised iPod-like device that makes ANY DV a tapeless cam.

Now, hook up a ruggedised iSight, attach some 1GB flash to keep disk spinning to an absolute minimum, add core video know-how to the iPod, allow it to suck out images from your Digital Cam (like many add-ons do now) and you have one kick-A product.

A video iPod would be slung from a waistband/clip/in-pocket so would also be glad of and workable with a big battery add-on for extra life (as the Quickstream does) while the user has the iSight in-hand connected via a firewire cable to the iPod. I suppose it could aslo be provided with a case that allowed the cam to clip on to form a single unit.

morningstarrising
2005-01-09, 14:36
This is the one thing Apple has this time pover Microsoft:

Brand name. Big M is downplaying it, but then they are courting there enemy in Gaming, Sony, to fight the iPod with Sony's brand name....

The iPod is a big name in the 21 century tech. Now only Apple is waiting for great tech to move forward..hell they can have a Video HD iPod, but something isn't there yet..well alot of parts are missing till 2007...

Robo
2005-01-09, 17:09
This thread is trippy, man. I mean, 40GB iPod minis in 2006? OS XI? Far out...

But this is the most face-rocking, mind-blowing, ass-kicking, name-taking post of all:

iPod mini: 60GB and 80GB(249-299)

I mean, like, whoa. The line-up you describe is way more convoluted then Sony would let their camcorder line get, much less Apple and their iPod. You say "it's not simple," and I admit that the addition of iPod flash and iPod video models may mean we won't see the entire line-up scale in nice $100 increments anymore, but I seriously doubt it needs to be as complicated as you describe. I have my doubts as to how soon the iPod mini will replace the traditional iPod...I don't think it will be this year, or...ever, really. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Apple wouldn't have a $200 gap in their iPod line (in between $299 and $499...). Sorry, morningstarrising, but...no dice.

Trippy post, though.

morningstarrising
2005-01-09, 18:26
I really don't see a video iPod..ever. Which is why I really don't believe in that part of my post. No one has made a video player that is as good as the iPod did to music players. I don't see Apple even doing this..Well not in the next year or two.

But the rest I do. The iPod mini will replace today's iPod. But this is all up to Hitachi and how fast they can make a 20GB and 40GB microdrives(They already got up to 10GB). I expect Apple to phase out the 20GB iPod soon just to make way for the 20GB mini drive next year. 40GB? By 2007.

Will there be a bigger iPod in 2007? If there isn't a Video iPod, yeah, I can still see a iPod Photo with a 80GB and 120Gb drives for around $399. I just don't see a video player by Apple going for that price.

B.S.
2005-01-17, 03:40
Nice guesses :)
Where do you imagine you can use 80GB to 120GB ?
If that size player ever comes out, it should be for video...

fadge
2006-01-09, 20:59
hey i just found out just then that they have a ipod g6 its got a f****** projector in it and a camera dont belive me go to
http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macdesign/iPodG6.html

BarracksSi
2006-01-09, 21:11
hey i just found out just then that they have a ipod g6 its got a f****** projector in it and a camera dont belive me go to
http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macdesign/iPodG6.html
Bwa-ha-ha-ha....

Have you ever seen a projector bulb? Have you ever felt how freakin' hot it gets?

Not gonna happen. No projector iPod.

WMD
2006-01-09, 21:12
Bumping ancient threads is fun...

I really don't see a video iPod..ever.
...and that's why. :D

Robo
2006-01-09, 22:51

Hahaha...the funny thing is that it wasn't. The iPod shuffle was the "one more thing."

Remember how Steve basically glossed over the Mac mini - arguably the most significant Mac since the original iMac? You could tell he just hated it.