PDA

View Full Version : MagicJack

jcoley2
2008-11-13, 14:10
Has any one here tried this product?

http://www.magicjack.com/9/index.asp

I ordered one today for the 30-day free trial. Only issue I can see right now is that we have 9 phones in our house, so there would be no way to hook all of them up to USB ports.

But I figured I would play around with it to see what all the hype is.

cosus
2008-11-13, 17:08
You could use an expandable wireless phone, no?

jcoley2
2008-11-13, 17:24
You could use an expandable wireless phone, no?

Maybe but I do not think the signal will reach the entire house as it has a lot of stone walls and is three stories. Right now a regular wireless phone from a base station will not reach the entire area. For Wi-Fi I have had to use repeaters.

turtle
2008-11-13, 18:19
It looks like it would work as I have wired my mom's house with Vonage. Disconnect the house from the street in the customer portion of the phone box on your house. Then connect the MagicJack (or other VoIP phone) to the wall jack and then you will be able to use your existing home wiring and not have to change a thing.

jcoley2
2008-11-13, 18:21
It looks like it would work as I have wired my mom's house with Vonage. Disconnect the house from the street in the customer portion of the phone box on your house. Then connect the MagicJack (or other VoIP phone) to the wall jack and then you will be able to use your existing home wiring and not have to change a thing.

I have not gotten it yet but I believe I need to input the jack into a computer's usb port.

turtle
2008-11-13, 18:41
From the web site you'll plug one end into the USB port making the computer the internet sharing device and you plug your landline phone into the other side. So, instead of plugging a telephone into that side use a plain phone line and plug it into the wall instead. :)

noleli2
2008-11-13, 21:16
From the web site you'll plug one end into the USB port making the computer the internet sharing device and you plug your landline phone into the other side. So, instead of plugging a telephone into that side use a plain phone line and plug it into the wall instead. :)

Just make sure to unplug the telco line before it gets into your house. Otherwise you could fry the MagicJack if the telco line rings. :eek:

jcoley2
2008-11-19, 09:43
Ok, got this today and installed it. (Missed the fine print that you need a intel based Mac but fortunately I installed it on my laptop.)

Set up was fast and quick. I think the quality of the voice seems good.

What is really cool is the VM: rather than you retrieving it, it sends you a email with a WAV file attached. That's great since you can then pick it up with your iPhone.

kieran
2008-11-19, 10:30
When I went home this past weekend, my mom said something about this.

Is it really worth it to do this? Does it work jcoley?

I haven't really looked into it, so I'm really not in the loop with it.

I was just asking because my mom brought it up and I was wondering how it worked.

csb
2008-11-25, 22:39
I bought the Magic Jack about 9 months ago and its been fine i paid 39.95 for a year and an extra 19.95 for an extra year of service. one little problem occasionally i have eject it and restart it, but its no big deal. most calls sound good you would never know it was internet.

turtle
2009-04-14, 23:13
I'm looking to jump from Vonage and wondering if this is a good option for me. I need two lines. One I never answer and only have a fax connected to it and the other I rarely answer but want access.

My Vonage used to be $30 and now it's up to $46 without a change in service. :grumble: Can you port your number with this or would I have to get a new one?

Dovek916
2009-04-15, 01:47
Yah, the Majicjack looks cool. I have Ooma and I absolutely love it. It has a ridiculous amount of cool, free features. free second line, sends an email with the audio clip, ........... I think everyone should have it.

jcoley2
2009-04-15, 06:27
I used it for the 30 day trail but returned it. It worked well but the idea that the phone jack needs to be connect to the computer is not really versable enough for my taste.

Chris A
2009-04-15, 07:05
I bought one several months ago and it works fine, but I kept my regular system, because Magic Jack only rings your phone when the computer is on. That's not a great problem since MJ will record a message. So, I recommend it as a second number.