PDA

View Full Version : Headphones for escapism!

cosus
2008-11-14, 10:41
Alright, I've been day trading and I'm in serious need of escape (too much stress, started vomiting from it... I don't think that's a good sign). Now, I'm an insomniac and don't wish to wake-up my gf while I play computer/video games, watch videos or listen to music and she does need her sleep or she get grumpy which I haven't liked for a while (poking a stick at a sleeping bear lost its humor after I got swatted). The only music I listen to is encoded at 128 kbps and I'm not an audiophile. However, when it comes to gaming and movies I do get anal and kinda would like to get as close to surround sound as possible, not necessarily the best quality, but up to the point the common man can tell the difference. Another point is that I'm just using a 28" screen so I'll be pretty close so no reason for anything wireless.

One last thing, I'm very impulsive and want to get them today (11/14/08) before I change my mind as I also lose interest quickly. Ideally I can find this item at Best Buy or the Apple store.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Maciej
2008-11-14, 13:51
Well that kinda limits your choices. I don't know much about gaming headphones, but from an audiphile point of view and from what's available at Apple store I like Denon, audio technica, sennheiser, shure.. but there isn't much choice. Its tough to make a recommendation because I don't know what's physically available, but those are a couple top notch brands that I am familiar with.. among others.

tomoe
2008-11-14, 14:00
Sennheiser CX300 would probably work well for you if you're not that concerned about sound quality, and I'm pretty sure either Best Buy or the Apple store will have them (they should be $30 to $40).

zippy
2008-11-14, 16:04
If you are not looking for the little in-ear style, or canal-phones, then everything I've read before would suggest a set of Grados. SR60s run about $70 and SR80s run about $95 (Amazon).

If you want canal-phones, then I would recommend Shure brand.

Maciej
2008-11-14, 16:34
If you are not looking for the little in-ear style, or canal-phones, then everything I've read before would suggest a set of Grados. SR60s run about $70 and SR80s run about $95 (Amazon).

Can't buy Grado's at best buy, or apple store. Not to mention they aren't isolated and could wake up g.f.