PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic DMP-BD35K Blu-ray player (need advice)

MBHockey
2008-12-13, 09:46
I've been thinking about purchasing a Blu-ray player to hook up to my HD tv (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-50PZ700U-50-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B000QDBYII) but the prices were really absurd the last time I checked. I can't remember the last time looked (possibly about a year ago) and it seems prices have come down to a more realistic level. But I do not know anything about Blu-ray players, which is why I need your advice :)

Seeing as how I really don't know much about these things coupled with a week of finals coming up which would prevent me from doing my homework, I looked to the reviews of various players on both Newegg and Amazon. This player has great reviews on Newegg (granted, only four reviews total) but it also has a ton of great reviews on Amazon and Circuit City.

Generally, when I buy anything electronic I'll check the Newegg reviews first (even if I don't end up buying it from them).

Here's the player I'm thinking of getting (it's $250): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103400

What do you guys think?

Swox
2008-12-13, 15:07
I'd personally pop the extra $100 or so for a PS3, but that's me.

MBHockey
2008-12-13, 15:15
I have an xbox 360 which I barely touch (I don't have time for video games anymore). Besides, I heard the Blu-ray player in the PS3 isn't too great. Is that true?

Maciej
2008-12-13, 15:37
Besides, I heard the Blu-ray player in the PS3 isn't too great. Is that true?

That's the opposite of true. Its consistently getting best buy and best bluray player awards. CNET (i think it was) just did a comparison test with the competition and it still loads the disks the fastest; 47 seconds vs upwards of a minute for the competition (from disk insertion to playing the movie).

PS3 also has advantage of free and convenient firmware updates, which is a big deal, because it's got wireless built in (while most BD players don't even hook up to the internet). The firmware is a big deal (but less then it use to be) because if you buy a disk that is newer than your firmware there is a change it won't play in your player - non issue for PS3.

It's got great playback, only thing is you need to invest in a remote. Even the people at the Criterion Collection use a PS3 for their reference blu ray deck. (And they're well known audio/video-philes.)

MBHockey
2008-12-13, 17:29
A PS3 is $400...a bit out of my price range, and it seems a bit overkill for my needs. It's also too large to fit into the compartment I plan on putting the Blu-ray player in.

The Blu-ray player on Newegg has an ethernet jack for updating the firmware. Is there anything inherently bad about the Newegg one?

Maciej
2008-12-13, 19:45
The Blu-ray player on Newegg has an ethernet jack for updating the firmware. Is there anything inherently bad about the Newegg one?

Yeah, the PS3 can be over kill if you do not intend on using any of it's other functions.

I do not see anything inherently bad about the Newegg one, the ethernet for firmware is good. Just make sure to buy an HD cable for it, or maybe you have one already. It should work out well.

Yontsey
2008-12-14, 15:10
Just saw this (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/31024) review over at Yahoo! and figured I'd post about it here.

MBHockey
2008-12-14, 20:04
Thanks Yonstey. I went ahead and ordered it today. I could not find one bad review about it. I'm excited to see what 1080p is all about, finally. :)

I'll be sure to post with my impressions about it after Christmas.

Thanks again everyone!

Yontsey
2008-12-14, 23:19
Thanks Yonstey. I went ahead and ordered it today. I could not find one bad review about it. I'm excited to see what 1080p is all about, finally. :)

I'll be sure to post with my impressions about it after Christmas.

Thanks again everyone!

1080p is great. This week alone I bought Step Brothers, X-Files 1 & 2, National Treasure, and The Dark Knight all on Blu-Ray and boy has it been a good week!

You won't be disappointed!

Maciej
2008-12-15, 01:10
1080p is great. This week alone I bought Step Brothers, X-Files 1 & 2, National Treasure, and The Dark Knight all on Blu-Ray and boy has it been a good week!

You won't be disappointed!

If you don't already have Transformers pick it up, in many reviewing circles its considered a reference disk for BD player review, the visuals are simply stunning! I'm planning on picking up Tropic Thunder soon, too! That movie is :lol:

MBHockey
2008-12-19, 21:08
I've picked up four off of Amazon so far: Dark Knight, 300, Batman Begins, and WALL-E

Excited for the 25th :)