PDA

View Full Version : iPod UI firmware hack, anyone try it?

naren
2005-01-04, 14:31
I was just wondering if anyone has used any of the iPod UI firmware hacks that have come out recently, alterPod from http://www.podite.com/munity/ or iPodWizard for Windows, http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000610023097/

It looks like fun but it hasn't been clear to me wether you can restore your original firmware or wether there are other irreconcilable issues with altering the iPod firmware in this way. It seems like it should be arbitrary to restore an iPod to defaults but in perusing several threads talking about this many people seemed to be having problems. So, anyone have any experience with this?

Perhaps I'll just wait for the 2nd gen hack apps to surface..... :\

Brad
2005-01-04, 14:57
Since these hacks are not from Apple not are they officially sactioned, I'm moving this thread to the Third-Party Products forum.

adam_tj
2005-01-04, 18:42
I tried to manually edit the firmware in a hex editor and I busted my iPod. I was able to completely erase it and start over with new firmware from Apple.

madman
2005-03-03, 21:12
Hey - one of the alterPod developers here

alterPod is in release 0.6 (which means it has been updated 6 times) and we have just opened a Free Theme Library at podite.com where you can find or upload themes.

With alterPod you can always restore the original factory firmware which means you can't really stuff up your iPod. I have a photo and have been editing it alot and it has not skipped a beat yet. For more information go to the alterPod forum and read other peoples experiences.

Also check out the March edition of MacAddict which has a step by step guide to using alterPod.

Have fun :D

doublem9876
2007-05-03, 21:13
Yes, yes, I know this is really old, but I'm looking for something that will do what alterpod does, but for the newest iPods with the newest iTunes. Anyone know of anything that doesn't require the incredibly difficult Windoze methods which don't end up working anyway?