PDA

View Full Version : Returning Software at Apple Retail

rcm8
2008-12-25, 20:21
I have a few titles of software that I do not want/need (Remote Desktop, iLife 2008, iWork 2008, MS Office 2008). I also don't have the receipt, but they are from the Apple Store and they are sealed and brand new.

Can I still return them to the store for credit? cash? What are my options, do you think? The eBay market looks particularly dismal for these titles considering their full value.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Ryan

Yontsey
2008-12-25, 20:25
I have a few titles of software that I do not want/need (Remote Desktop, iLife 2008, iWork 2008, MS Office 2008). I also don't have the receipt, but they are from the Apple Store and they are sealed and brand new.

Can I still return them to the store for credit? cash? What are my options, do you think? The eBay market looks particularly dismal for these titles considering their full value.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Ryan

Honestly, I am not sure, but typically when you don't have the receipt, places will not give you cash. You will probably get store credit.

rcm8
2008-12-25, 20:28
That's what I was thinking. I'm absolutely fine with that. I'm pretty sure this stuff was bought online via Apple. I wonder if that matters.

As long as the Apple Store carries the item, I can't imagine it makes a difference.

Any other insight/experience is appreciated.

turtle
2008-12-25, 20:49
Call the store and ask them how they'll handle it. While there are likely corporate policies in place, it's not uncommon for individual stores to run under their own policy.

Given it's the holiday season store credit is the best you can hope for but most stores have a no receipt, no return policy during this time too. Call the store near you to see.

rcm8
2008-12-25, 20:51
No receipt- no return seems a little bold, so I hope that isn't the case. We'll see.

Thanks for the help.

It looks like I can always play the "I don't agree with the license agreement" card, but that doesn't fix the receipt problem.

Ryan

turtle
2008-12-25, 21:00
The biggest reason a lot of stores have that policy during this time is to minimize people buying something from one store and returning it at another for more money.

At my store if you don't have a receipt then we'll only give you the lowest price over the past 90 days. Except during the holiday sales season where we have a no receipt, no return policy in place.

rcm8
2008-12-25, 21:06
So, if I waited until after "the holidays" I might have better luck?

apple007
2008-12-25, 21:42
Personally, I wouldn't waste any time. The next versions of iLife and iWork could be out as soon as a couple weeks from now, so if you face a tough time returning these titles now, I'd bet it will get a whole lot tougher when the titles are rendered moot by the updates. YMMV, of course.

SpecMode
2008-12-25, 21:43
Should be noted that generally, Apple Stores keep electronic copies of receipts in a big database in the "cloud". I've returned stuff bought at a completely different Apple Store using an electronic reprint of the receipt (I had lost the original copy). Not so sure with items purchased online, but I'd second the recommendation to call the store and find out.

rcm8
2008-12-25, 21:43
Oh, good point. You're probably right. Thanks.

rcm8
2008-12-25, 22:50
Should be noted that generally, Apple Stores keep electronic copies of receipts in a big database in the "cloud". I've returned stuff bought at a completely different Apple Store using an electronic reprint of the receipt (I had lost the original copy). Not so sure with items purchased online, but I'd second the recommendation to call the store and find out.

I think these might have been purchased under an Apple Finance Plan through a business, but I'm not sure. Again, they were a gift.

Thanks for all the help.

Ryan