PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV or PlayStation 3?

kieran
2008-12-26, 00:38
Ok, it's late, but I just wanted to post this up and see what people thought.

I got some money for christmas instead of my parents buying me something. They give us money and let us use it as we want.

I want to buy something, and I think I've narrowed to either the Apple TV or the PS3.

I'm not really much of a gamer, I have a Wii, but I wanted to get the PS3 for the Blu-Ray capability mostly as well as being able to play a few games if I wanted to.

I've been looking at getting an Apple TV for a while, but was never able to pull the trigger. I think it would be a great product to have once I installed Boxee on it.

What is your opinion?

I don't know if I am going to actually buy one or the other, but I'm pretty sure I want one of them.

Robo
2008-12-26, 01:01
I'd go with a PS3 because of the Blu-ray player. It's only, what, $170 more than the Apple TV* and any Blu-ray player you could find for that probably would be crap. The PS3 BD player is good because it's updated, and frequently - it's usually the first (or one of the first) players to get the new version of the spec, because it's A) the most popular player and B) made by Sony.

Oh, and you can play games. Which will be nice when you realize, as a growing number of people have, that Nintendo's Wii games are increasingly gimmicky, and that third party games are almost all shovelware. (It amazes me what people think they can sell for $50 on the Wii, and the "bargain" software is even worse.)

But my bias, clearly, is of someone who loves movies (and doesn't think Blu-ray is a "bag of hurt.") Storage space simply isn't available in enough quantities for HD distribution of movies to take over, and I'm not sure I'd want it to. If you rely on DRMed content from iTunes, you sort of have to get the Apple TV, but otherwise I'd say the PS3 is a better value, all things considered. And it can Hulu too.

The Apple TV is, lets face it, probably Apple's weakest product (current Mac mini excepted). It fills a necessary function in their quest for digital distribution domination, and that's it. I actually prefer the XMB interface to either of Apple's "takes" on the Apple TV. In short: Apple views the Apple TV as a "hobby." Sony views the PS3 as crucial to the success of its most profitable pursuits (movies and games). And you can tell.

Plus, the PS3 can cure cancer. :p

*Both on the low-end and the high-end, both models of the Apple TV and the PS3 are $170 apart. On the low-end, you get double the hard drive space with the PS3 (40GB vs. 80GB). On the high-end, both come with a 160GB hard drive, but the PS3 includes a free game (the excellent Uncharted: Drake's Fortune).

turtle
2008-12-26, 01:03
As someone who recently got both I will say this:

PS3 is awesome for being able to play media through and BR. I don't game much with it but it does game very well. :)

tv is awesome if you already have content in your iTunes library. I will say this device is used more in my home than any other device. Between Handbreak and DVDFab there isn't a DVD that I have that doesn't end up on the thing and played hundreds of times over. :)

tv FTW.

Robo
2008-12-26, 01:27
As someone who recently got both I will say this:

PS3 is awesome for being able to play media through and BR. I don't game much with it but it does game very well. :)

tv is awesome if you already have content in your iTunes library. I will say this device is used more in my home than any other device. Between Handbreak and DVDFab there isn't a DVD that I have that doesn't end up on the thing and played hundreds of times over. :)

tv FTW.

But if you could only have one, which would you rather have? To me, the PS3 can do basically everything the Apple TV can, but the same can't be said in reverse. They both have built-in content delivery services and can play content from a home network. But in addition, the PS3 can play games and Blu-ray movies, plus browse the web and (in Europe) act as a DVR. Heck, when I move the PS3 will be my primary computer for a few months (I put Linux on it, for printing out assignments and stuff).

If all you're looking for is the ability to rent movies instantly for $5 a pop, go with the Apple TV. But that's all it's good at. And as someone who prefers owning content to renting it (and owning it on a physical medium, no less), the PS3 is the clear victor for me. When Apple allows you to actually purchase HD movies, and when the Apple TV has a drive that's measured in terabytes instead of gigabytes, then we'll talk. But a single Blu-ray disc can hold more than the Apple TV, which sort of limits its appeal to me.

scratt
2008-12-26, 01:35
I just think the PS3 is a better option all around than an AppleTV. So that would be my pick.

With regards to the AppleTV.. I have never seen the point in buying an AppleTV in any case.. Why not just pick up a Mac Mini and make it into your own AppleTV. It's better value, and far more flexible.. For the last couple of years we've had a Mac Mini with just about every piece of media software running on it as our primary content viewer.. From tv torrents to full on purchased DVD movies.. it's all there on the Mac Mini, without the restrictions of the AppleTV hardware. Just one example is usb thumb drives... Anytime I grab a new tv episode I just stuff it onto a thumb drive and plug it into our home made AppleTV and play from there with VLC. No copying. No syncing. Instant gratification, and no HD wear!

Our 'AppeTV' can even run torrent programs and sit there by itself pulling down any content we so choose in the daytime, ready for viewing in the evening.. all controllable from the sofa, or even via screen sharing from any of our other Macs running Leopard.. I even have an old Bluetooth keyboard under the sofa I can pull out if needed..

Couple that with a Bluetooth mouse, or even just a remote, or a hacked iPhone and you've got an awesome home entertainment system controllable from the sofa, which can also surf the web, play games etc. etc. etc.

dmegatool
2008-12-26, 02:35
+1 PS3 cause everybody is saying so...

Bill M
2008-12-26, 04:53
I say you should wait a few more days until MWSF and make your decision then, as the Mac Mini might be updated - rumors say it will - thus becoming a much better option than the Apple TV. I hope those 2 products merge or something.

Robo
2008-12-26, 05:16
I say you should wait a few more days until MWSF and make your decision then, as the Mac Mini might be updated - rumors say it will - thus becoming a much better option than the Apple TV. I hope those 2 products merge or something.

A merger with the Mac mini isn't what the Apple TV needs, because Apple isn't going to be able to convince everybody to buy a $600 (or more) computer just to play iTunes content on their TV. Like I said, the Apple TV is a necessary part of Apple's digital distribution plans - it's just not a compelling product for $230+.

Waiting until after MWSF (and CES, for that matter) would be the prudent choice. I'm not expecting a price drop on the PS3 (it's just now approaching profitability), but stranger things have happened. Sony hasn't "responded" to Microsoft's most recent price cut on the Xbox, so...

I swear, anyone who buys a Wii for $250 when you can buy a PS3 for $299 should be shot.

turtle
2008-12-26, 05:50
But if you could only have one, which would you rather have?

When reading all this I would lean toward the PS3. But when taking into account how my family actually uses our media and how few BR movies we have currently I would pick tv first. Everything is already in iTunes and it just works. I can be stilling at my desk and use Remote AirTunes to turn on a movies for my daughter. So, yeah, I'd still pick the tv first now.

I swear, anyone who buys a Wii for $250 when you can buy a PS3 for $299 should be shot.
That's why I got both. :D

Taskiss
2008-12-26, 09:04
In 6 months to a year, blu-ray players should be down to $100 or less, while TV should be at the same price point.

I'd set my sights on the TV now, and the BD player next year.I swear, anyone who buys a Wii for $250 when you can buy a PS3 for $299 should be shot.I just got the Wii (and the Wii Play) as a family Christmas gift. Last evening, I sat in my easy chair watching butts wiggle in my face as my sons and their wive and gf played bowling, baseball and boxing. We had a great time ... we actually stood up and moved instead of sitting smashing buttons.

I'll take the Wii, thanks.

nikstar101
2008-12-26, 10:42
Well i would also vote for the PS3. OK so i do have a PS3, which might add a bit of bias but, like others have said it can do everything that AppleTV can plus more. For example it can link to your Mac and stream movies, music and photos form your mac (see Medialink software).

I won't go into detail on the TV recording or downloading movie off the Playstation network but the huge advantage, which is the AppleTVs downfall is firstly that you can easily upgrade the Hard Drive. I have a 320GB drive in there so i can download huge amounts of movies. Secondly 1080p. From what i understand AppleTV does not support this yet therefore you aren't actually getting true HD.

So i would either go with PS3 now or wait till Apple updates AppleTV.

tomoe
2008-12-26, 13:23
If all you're looking for is the ability to rent movies instantly for $5 a pop, go with the Apple TV. But that's all it's good at. And as someone who prefers owning content to renting it (and owning it on a physical medium, no less), the PS3 is the clear victor for me. When Apple allows you to actually purchase HD movies, and when the Apple TV has a drive that's measured in terabytes instead of gigabytes, then we'll talk. But a single Blu-ray disc can hold more than the Apple TV, which sort of limits its appeal to me.

I'm pretty sure you can rent movies cheap with the PS3, and also buy HD movies that download directly to its internal storage. Further, upgrading the PS3 hard drive is so easy that it makes upgrading the MacBook's hard drive seem complicated.

torifile
2008-12-26, 19:34
Appletv if you use iTunes. Using it involves no thinking at all and that's what I want when entertaining (either myslef or others). I had both until recently and had to decide between the ps3 or appletv for exactly the uses you describe and the ps3 went.

Bonn89
2008-12-26, 20:36
The decision, from a truly video-only standpoint, comes down to wether or not you are able/willing to acquire HD video on your computer, or if Blu-Ray is more convenient.

thegeriatric
2008-12-26, 20:45
If you need, or want a Blue-Ray player.........then PS3.

Foj
2008-12-26, 20:51
What I did was get a 40 gig PS3 and replaced the hard drive with 320 gig I got on Amazon for $75. That's my suggestion.:)

NosferaDrew
2008-12-26, 22:07
Like turtle, I have both.
I mainly use my PS3 as a Blu-ray player/Folding@Home cruncher and my AppleTV for renting movies, listening to podcasts while doing laundry or house work and playing my music through my audio systems (three zones).

If your choice is one or the other, I'd say the PS3 is the way to go (provided you have a HD TV). Also, MediaLink (http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink) allows you to stream everything you have in your iTunes and iPhoto library from your Mac to your PS3.

kieran
2008-12-27, 01:44
Welp, I was a little impatient and went and made a purchase today.

I went and got the PS3.

I just think the ability to play Blu-Ray was the deal breaker for the time being. Maybe down the road, I'll pick up an Apple TV (No, I'm sure I'll get one, just a matter of time)

I'll pick up some games for it from time to time, but it'll mainly be used as a media center. I'll pick up MediaLink as per a few suggestions in this thread and we'll see how it goes.

I have a month to decide, so if I don't like how it's working out, I'll just bring it back to the store.

I think I made the right choice at this time. I wanted something that could play Blu-Ray discs so I just ended up getting the PS3. We'll see how my choice works out of the coming months.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I really read them and thought about what you said. I use iTunes for everything, so an AppleTV would have been perfect, but I just think a PS3 is better for me at this time.

Yontsey
2008-12-27, 01:45
Good choice. I have a PS3 and love watching movies on Blu-Ray.

I would have already bought an AppleTV but the lack of 1080p is a serious turnoff.

scratt
2008-12-27, 01:57
Nice one..

If you can get the BT remote at some point.. It's super cool, pretty cheap, and really makes it feel like a media player, rather than a games console..

turtle
2008-12-27, 02:31
Nice one..

If you can get the BT remote at some point.. It's super cool, pretty cheap, and really makes it feel like a media player, rather than a games console..

I still haven't purchased a BT remote for it because I just use the controller. I wouldn't mind getting one though it would be another remote in the house. :\ Simple is better I think in this case...at least for me. Then again, I did vote for the tv over the PS3.

Enjoy your machine kieran! You won't regret the purchase that's for sure. Using HDMI to connect to the TV and your DVDs even playback great on the HDTVs.

Robo
2008-12-27, 02:52
I just got the Wii (and the Wii Play) as a family Christmas gift. Last evening, I sat in my easy chair watching butts wiggle in my face as my sons and their wive and gf played bowling, baseball and boxing. We had a great time ... we actually stood up and moved instead of sitting smashing buttons.

I'll take the Wii, thanks.

I'm just saying. Last-gen tech for more than twice the price (the Gamecube was $99 in 2003) versus next-gen tech (and infinitely more media options) for half the price (of the PS3 at launch). I'm not normally a spec whore but as the Wii enters its third year without a single price drop (when $250 was pushing it at launch, IMO) it really is becoming an astonishing bad value, and it doesn't even have "yeah, but it is technically the cheapest new system on the market" to fall back on anymore (because of the Xbox 360 Arcade). If you just love Wii Sports, that's fine, but the Wii doesn't even have that many new Nintendo games any more (there's none in the first quarter of next year) and its third party selection honestly scares me. (I work in gaming retail, and it was a glut of awful games that caused the industry to almost collapse once, and that's what I see in the Wii.)

I'm sorry if this comes across as condescending. My motto has always been, when dealing with customers who somehow love awful games, is "whatever makes you happy." But I honestly can't imagine anyone over the age of twelve being happier with the Wii, in the long run. Many of its games are more akin to toys or board games than to the rest of the video game media, and there's nothing wrong with that, if you're looking for a toy or board game machine. But I see the Wii's success as not sustainable - certainly not into a new generation of consoles. I won't call it a gimmick (though it is literally an overclocked Gamecube with a new controller), but I will call it a fad. And even now, people are beginning to realize that. They're realizing that their $15 steering wheel was just a holder for the remote, and their $25 "light gun" was just a holder for the remote and nunchuck, and they're getting tired of it. (I think next year's Wii MotionPlus will honestly be the breaking point, especially because a number of games will require it and it doesn't actually add any functionality, other than fixing the problems with the remote. I mean, how are we supposed to sell that to people? "It makes the remote sense motion...but moar bettar!")

Nintendo's goal - to make gaming truly for everyone - is a noble one, and they've had some brilliant ideas (like naming and modeling the controller after the already-familiar TV remote). In that respect, their success was deserved. But Nintendo seems to think that their target market's unfamiliarity with gaming means they can cut corners on quality, providing only an endless string of gimmicks (there, I said it). That seems to be how third parties feel, too (I mean, honestly, have you seen the shovelware that Ubi has been pushing out?). And while that might work in the short term, it won't work forever. Even the newest of gamers will eventually learn, and the most casual of players will eventually start to realize that they're blowing $50 on Disney Think Fast and their family is only playing it for a couple of hours.

Even Nintendo's faithful, the same fanboys that kept them alive in the dark N64/GC years, is mad at them, for luring them in with a epic Zelda game at launch and then promptly ignoring them to focus on Wii Fit and Endless Ocean. And while Nintendo's core fanbase probably isn't as important as they think - the company will manage to survive without them - pissing off your biggest fans is never a good idea. Nintendo promised "games for everybody" on the Wii, and they seem to have delivered only "games for everybody who doesn't normally play games, because they're easier to please."

Nice one..

Amazon often has a "buy two BDs, get the BD remote free" deal. I wouldn't pay $25 for it, because it's sort of unnecessary, but for free! Hells yeah.

kieran
2008-12-28, 01:00
Nice to know about that Amazon deal. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I've yet to set it up yet as I'm waiting to get back to my house at school to set it up with my TV.

I bought Sonic the Hedgehog because it was only $20. I'll see how that is and pick up more games as I go along I guess.

I'm going to be back folding as soon as tomorrow night. I was racking up the points for a little while there, but I'll be back.

Luca
2008-12-28, 03:35
100% agreed with you, Roboman, on the Wii thing. I guess they're fun for women and children. Anyone else, who actually likes games... no. Not at all.

The PS3 is probably the best media center. I don't know as much about how it works compared to the 360, but I know it is comparable. Maybe not as good if you don't have a Mac. All I know is I have a program called Transcode360 set up on my PC that allows the PC to transcode and stream normally incompatible video files to my 360. The PS3 might be better for Mac users since it's not so MS-centric. But I don't really know. Either way, it's great.

Oh, and the iTunes video store is a total rip off, as are most other streaming rental services I've seen. $5 to rent a movie? For $10/mo you can get unlimited (one disc at a time) rentals from Netflix, and that includes Blu-Ray movies of course. It's slightly less convenient if you want to be able to decide on a movie on the spur of the moment, but I'd say it's a much better deal since you're getting a device that can truly serve as its own media center rather than merely supplementing it with iTunes access. I bet the PS3 can do just about everything an Apple TV can do, minus the streaming of (already overpriced) iTunes protected content.

tomoe
2008-12-28, 11:16
There's actually a program that lets you stream iTunes content to the PS3, but I can't remember the name of it right now. :\

Yontsey
2008-12-28, 11:31
Yeah, I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread. It's called MediaLink (http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink).

Maciej
2008-12-28, 17:42
Amazon often has a "buy two BDs, get the BD remote free" deal. I wouldn't pay $25 for it, because it's sort of unnecessary, but for free! Hells yeah.

You've also piqued my interest. I've been using the controller because I also think it's unnecessary to buy a remote. Does this deal appear on their main bluray page or where should I keep an eye out for it?

Robo
2008-12-28, 17:53
You've also piqued my interest. I've been using the controller because I also think it's unnecessary to buy a remote. Does this deal appear on their main bluray page or where should I keep an eye out for it?

I've always just seen it on their main Blu-ray page. I'll let y'all know if I see it again. I've seen it come and go several times already, so it appears to be one of their "standard sales" that they rotate into and out of regularly (buy 2 BDs, get 1 free being another one). But who knows if those sales will be around after Blu-ray becomes all "mass market" like.

Yontsey
2009-01-06, 08:23
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=1Z99NX9HRE70Y&C=1MVGBS0654SNG&H=60Z4w36owlzq98B1xpPbMZUGImcA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Ffeature.html% 2Fref%3Dpe_20890_11071720_fe_txt_1%2F%3Fie%3DUTF8% 26plgroup%3D10%26docId%3D1000324041)is having what I guess is one of their monthly sales where it's buy two blu-ray movies, get one free.

It runs from today til the 16th. These are great deals and they have them all the time, but this is the biggest selection I've seen so far. I believe there was something like 248 titles to choose from and some very good movies in there.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.