PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new Mac laptop, but which one?

ime_NY
2009-01-22, 21:33
Hey everyone,

So exactly three years ago, this forum helped me make the Switch (thanks :) ), resulting in a love affair with my iBook.

But now it's time for an upgrade.

I've narrowed it down to:
(1) Refurb black MacBook 2.4 C2D/ 2gb/250 gb HD
(2) Refurb MBP 2.5 C2D/2gb/250 gb HD
(3) New MBP 2.5/4gb/320 gb HD (what the heck, gotta love the student discount)

Concerns:
- I'm finishing up my masters now, but I am not doing any type of data analysis or imaging that would push any of these options to its limit
- HD capacity is an issue: between my iBook and an iMac G4, I already have ~ 160 gb of stuff; 50 gb for music/shows/movies, 50-60 gb for photos and homemade video, and a few gb of Garageband demos.....oh, and I hate carrying an external HD around. If Apple was shipping 500 gb HDs in their laptops like HP is doing now post-CES, I'd have no qualms plunking down for a new machine.
- I'd like to finally learn how to edit home movies with iMovie
- Within the year, I'd like to go from iPhoto to Aperature or PS.
- Eventually, I'd like to go from Garageband to Logic, but this is more of a long -term goal and not so much a pressing issue as of now

I am leaning towards the first two options. Regarding these, how much of a performance difference will there be? Will I only appreciate the value of the MBP's video card when doing photo and movie editing?

As always, thanks in advance :)

PB PM
2009-01-22, 21:36
Aperture requires a dedicated graphics card, so if you want to use it a Macbook wont do.

ime_NY
2009-01-22, 21:41
Ah, good to know.

Of course, I'm afraid I'd pluck down the cash for Aperture, only to grossly under-use its potential power. Haha

psmith2.0
2009-01-22, 21:46
You should specify the prices and the actual models of your three choices. Is the refurb MacBook Pro the old style, or the new Unibody model?

If it's the newer one, then hard drive upgrading is very easy, and you can get that 500GB (7200rpm) for really cheap...

If it's the older style, then it's a bit harder to get into.

Are the new Unibody MacBook Pros even available as refurbs yet? I know the 13" MacBooks are...

:confused:

EDIT: okay, they are. Currently both 15" Unibody MacBook Pros are on the refurb site. The 2.4GHz is $1,699(!) and the 2.53 is $2,149.

If it were me, I'd get the refurb 2.4GHz for $1,699 and spend another $100 at Crucial and New Egg to bump its RAM to 4GB and get a 500GB 7200rpm drive, and you'd be more than set!

The 2.53GHz ($2,149) model has twice the video RAM (512MB vs. 256MB), if that matters...

artesc
2009-01-22, 23:09
I have to agree wholeheartedly with pscates. That sounds like the way to go. Don't buy ram or a bigger hard drive from Apple; with a little savvy, you can do it yourself for 1/5 :confused: :eek: :no: the price. Plus you'll gain the knowledge and that, as we all know, is priceless.

ime_NY
2009-01-23, 00:55
Good advice, pscates.

I've seen some articles on how to replace the HD on a last generation MBP. I hope it's easier than how it looks likes in these tutorials.

Kraetos
2009-01-23, 01:13
Definitely go with the refurb pscates just linked to. Boy do I feel like a sucker now :o I didn't think they'd be turning around refurbs that fast. I gotta kick my megahertz addiction :p

The problem with replacing the drive in an old-style MPB is that it voids AppleCare. :\ I'd steer clear of that. $1,699 for the Unibody Pro is a great deal. The drive takes a couple minutes to replace, and it's only $109 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314) for a 500GB drive these days. :eek:

turtle
2009-01-23, 01:20
Aperture requires a dedicated graphics card, so if you want to use it a Macbook wont do.

Not to call you out, but not accurate. My wife and I use Aperture on both of our MBs (Her CD original and my C2D with X3100) and also my Intel Mini (current high-end). Not the fastest, but certainly usable. More so on my MB and Mini than her MB. We use v2 BTW. FWIW, I use CS3 and the suite runs fine on the above machines (All have max RAM).

Personally I'd go with the MBP though because you'll feel the difference. I've just been cheep and not bought a proper machine for my photo editing. I'm holding out on the Mac Pro because I can "get away with" using the Mini and MBs.

PB PM
2009-01-23, 03:45
I was just going on what Apple says on the website for Aperture.

chucker
2009-01-23, 03:57
I was just going on what Apple says on the website for Aperture.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/ mentions "Intel GMA 950 or GMA X3100" underneath "One of the following graphics cards:". They're left out in the "Recommended Configuration", though (for obvious reasons).

zsummers
2009-01-23, 09:33
If the new unibody MBPs are as easy as the unibody MBs, it's simple.

iFixit's guide makes it look like a matter of 1 latch and 1 screw. Pretty easy if you ask me:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac/MacBook-Pro-Unibody#top (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac/MacBook-Pro-Unibody#top)

Good luck! And good call with the refurbs. Such steals.

curiousuburb
2009-01-23, 09:57
Do any of your refurb MBP options include 17 with matte screen, or are you fine with glossy? Are they all Superdrive?

Do you need FW? Backlit KB? Size limit to fit bag/accessories?

psmith2.0
2009-01-23, 10:45
Definitely go with the refurb pscates just linked to. Boy do I feel like a sucker now :o I didn't think they'd be turning around refurbs that fast.

Same here. I had no idea the new Unibody 13" and 15" MacBook models would already be on the refurb store at Apple's site. This was a good three weeks ago when I first saw them and pointed it out here in a thread. (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=31036) I didn't think we'd see those new models until March-April, at the earliest. I was stunned to see them there!

Those are really sweet deals because you're getting a current, "right now" generation notebook with all the bells and whistles (big glass Multi-Touch trackpad, LED display, sleek Unibody design, new nVidia graphics, DisplayPort, latest processor/RAM, easy hard drive and RAM swap-out, etc.) for $200-300 less than what it would cost to walk into an Apple store today and buy the exact same model new. It's not even like they're "previous generation" from 6-12 months ago...it's the current 13" and 15" models, just out this past October!

:eek:

It's not even a contest to me.

I almost wish I needed a MacBook!

:p

PB PM
2009-01-23, 12:37
http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/ mentions "Intel GMA 950 or GMA X3100" underneath "One of the following graphics cards:". They're left out in the "Recommended Configuration", though (for obvious reasons).
I was looking at this page...
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB673Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MjE0NTM4OA

chucker
2009-01-23, 13:16
I was looking at this page...
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB673Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MjE0NTM4OA

…which also mentions the GMAs. Note the heading "Recommended Configuration", and the "Minimum Hardware Requirements" link underneath.

PB PM
2009-01-23, 16:47
Yes, I know, wasn't looking close enough, which I now realize. I was posting from work, and trying to limit my time doing stuff I shouldn't be. ;)

chucker
2009-01-23, 17:43
Yes, I know, wasn't looking close enough, which I now realize. I was posting from work, and trying to limit my time doing stuff I shouldn't be. ;)

Not a valid excuse. Please hand in your geek pass at the front desk by the end of the day.

;)

ime_NY
2009-01-23, 17:46
Curiousuburb, I'm not considering the 17" MBP just because I think it'd be overkill. My brother has the 17" with the matte screen, and though it's gorgeous in performance and aesthetics, I can't picture myself lugging that around from lab to class to the library.

....Looks as if they sold out of the refurb unibody 15" MBP that was priced @ $1699 the online store.... o well

psmith2.0
2009-01-23, 17:55
When were you planning to make this purchase? If it wasn't today, right away, you can keep an eye on the refurb section over the weekend? It seems to change several times throughout the day, I've noticed.

Those $1,699 models could pop up again? Those $1,099 MacBooks came online three weeks ago, lasted a day or two, were gone, came back on, sold out, and have done this several times, back and forth (and there are some on there now, again).

:)

curiousuburb
2009-01-23, 17:57
Now that the WhiteMB has been silently upgraded to share same new mobo and fsb as the MBP, (plus it still has FW)... it may be your best bang for the buck. Spend the savings on RAM, etc.

While my MBP17 is a bit bigger and heavier, matte and extra pixels are worth it to me.

ime_NY
2009-01-23, 18:33
Pscates, I was planning on making the purchase before March.

Curiousuburb, the white MB is definitely a nice machine and its FW is definitely a pro seeing how my two externals are FW.