PDA

View Full Version : Who here uses Vonage?

ThunderPoit
2009-01-29, 12:56
I'm looking for a way to trim the bills and was thinking of switching to Vonage instead of Comcasts digital phone service. What do you think of Vonage? Is the service reliable? Will I have to sign a contract?

kieran
2009-01-29, 13:03
I've always wondered how Vonage is as well.

I don't really need a landline right now because I'm still at school, but eventually, I guess I'll probably get one. I don't really need one, but if I did, I think I'd look into something like this.

ThunderPoit
2009-01-29, 13:06
Also, the 24.99/mo isnt promotional rate that changes later, is it?
How much does it come to after taxes/fees/etc?

Dave
2009-01-29, 13:08
My roommate and I have been landline-free for years, and neither of us have ever looked back. If you've got a security monitoring service, ask them before dropping it though. Some of them can't handle monitoring over cell phone.

ThunderPoit
2009-01-29, 13:23
unfortunately, dropping the land line completely isnt an option.

hmurchison
2009-01-29, 13:43
I've used Vonage for about 5 months on top of my FIOS service. No outages and acceptable sound quality (meaning it doesn't bother me in the least)

I have the "all you can eat" package and quiet honestly I'm going to reduce it to the 500 long distance minutes. I just don't call long distance enough.

I think the Comcast phone service and frankly most of the phnoe services with Triple Play accounts aren't worth it.

I'll stick with Vonage until I feel comfortable enough with a service like RingCentral ( business like features) to transfer over.

ThunderPoit
2009-01-29, 13:50
Did you have to sign a contract?

alcimedes
2009-01-29, 14:45
I have Vonage as well, been relatively happy with them. One thing to note though, the Vonage router needs to be right inline with the cable modem or DSL modem, if you have it chained down the line you can run into latency/dropped call issues.

I think I had a one year contract, and it's something like $25 a month for the whole shebang, must say that overall I've been pretty happy with it.

hmurchison
2009-01-29, 14:55
Did you have to sign a contract?

I don't remember there being a contract. Though I'm happy and VOIP is transportable so even if I move the router and number follows me.

I have Vonage as well, been relatively happy with them. One thing to note though, the Vonage router needs to be right inline with the cable modem or DSL modem, if you have it chained down the line you can run into latency/dropped call issues.

I think I had a one year contract, and it's something like $25 a month for the whole shebang, must say that overall I've been pretty happy with it.

Hmmm good to know about the router. I had heard of some people placing the router in the phone junction box so that all the outlets where now VOIP'd.

noleli2
2009-01-29, 15:25
I had heard of some people placing the router in the phone junction box so that all the outlets where now VOIP'd.

I did this at my parents' house. Works great. They love Vonage, too.

cosus
2009-02-03, 00:22
I use Vonage and it's pretty good. Though I'm thinking of dropping it considering I use it less and less in favor of the cell and the fact I'm never home. Use it as a work number though and might keep it just to forward to cell instead of confusing people with a number change.

turtle
2009-02-03, 02:07
I've been using Vonage since October of 05 and haven't had any issues with them. I have two line that are the $15 per month plan. I never make outbound calls on it and for the times I do there are 500 minutes to burn. Those only count if you're calling a Cell or real land line. My Mom uses Vonage too and I have a VoIP based voicemail service I use. Both numbers do not count against my monthly usage because they are VoIP based.

Portability is great, though I've never needed to take my adapter with me anywhere I've been. Features and benefits are great for the price, though again I don't really use them. One line is so my ex-wife has a valid phone number to call our daughter and it's the number I give out to people I don't want to hear from. The other is our real phone number that we use for friends and family.

Call quality has been great for us and I've never had a dropped call. I have my adapter connected in my network behind a router, server/gateway and two switches and it works great. Ideally I would hook it up to the initial router, but it's not possible at this time due to physical constraints.

The great part of Vonage is you can use your existing home wiring and keep all your old phone equipment. I set this up for my mom who didn't want to get rid of her old answering machine. You just unplug the phone company connection to your box outside and then connect the Vonage adapter to the internal wiring of your home and your up and running. :)

In short, Vonage is great!

CitizenTony
2009-02-03, 09:37
I've had it for years now. Maybe 4 or 5. I've been very happy with them and have never had a problem. I never really used a land line much though and had the $15 a month, 500 minute plan. Recently we haven't been using the land line at all, but didn't want to lose the number. I called Vonage to see if there was something they could do about that and they offered a $4.99 per month option.

It allows me to receive calls, but if I place a call I get charged by the minute. I removed the phone and Vonage router from the network and setup their voice mail service. Now if someone I forgot (or don't want) to give my cell phone number to calls I get a VM and I can call them back from my cell.

I still give out the landline number to companies and the like that I don't want bothering me, and can get back to them on my time. And sales calls are a thing of the past since I just delete the VM as soon as I get it.

Works great.

turtle
2009-02-03, 09:48
I didn't know they have a $5 option that has no outbound minutes. I'm gonna have to contact them over that so I can drop my bill a little bit more for the line I never use.

CitizenTony
2009-02-03, 09:58
I asked the first operator about it, as I'd heard about it before, and she told me it was for retention and forwarded me to that department. They had no problems giving it to me.

Fullthrottledesigns
2009-02-03, 13:05
I had it for about 2 years right after they started up. I had the $14.99 plan and I could never get my phone to work with all of my jacks and there is nobody to come out and take a look so I had to have the one phone next to my modem all the time. Other than not working in the existing phone jacks I had no complaints with the service. I recently moved and dropped the service for the Comcast triple play.

NosferaDrew
2009-02-03, 22:28
No one here has tried ooma (http://www.ooma.com/)?

Taskiss
2009-02-03, 23:25
Can you send and receive fax with Vonage via fax modem?

turtle
2009-02-04, 07:54
Can you send and receive fax with Vonage via fax modem?

Yes you can. Just like any other phone line. At one point they even had a lower price for a fax only line.