PDA

View Full Version : A QR thread not meant to piss people off

Ryan
2005-01-06, 18:55
The Quick Reply box is hard to read in Safari, because the text is light grey. Can it be changed to black please?

Akumulator
2005-01-06, 19:00
The problem I have is that I'll click the little quick reply button, type out my post.. and then I keep hitting the big Post Reply button which takes me to the normal reply box and my post is gone. :|

User error, but I think it's because the Post Reply button is nice and big and shiny and the Submit Reply button underneath the box is flat and my quick mouse clicking instinct is to hit the nice big shiny one.

No fault of the design, btw... just pointing out my personal issues I have with the quick reply box. I'm not even sure why I use it.. I almost always go advanced with it.

WBG4
2005-01-06, 19:11
The Quick Reply box is hard to read in Safari, because the text is light grey. Can it be changed to black please?
I want to second this. Also can we strip the crap that is not needed in quick reply like the quoting and the buttons above the box? The Buttons above the box bug me more then anything. You people always bitch about simplicity and not cluttering, so practice what your preach

LoCash
2005-01-06, 19:36
Changing the text to black is in the queue, but that's about all we're doing to the quick reply box. The buttons above it are staying, the options below it are staying. These do not create confusion nor clutter, and anyone that says otherwise is simply trying to make a scene.

Personally, and I know I'm not alone, I use the buttons above quick reply and the options below on a regular basis. They're there to enhance functionality. Quick Reply is designed to give people a minimal set of tools to reply to a thread without loading a new page. It's not supposed to be stripped of every utility.

WBG4
2005-01-06, 19:47
Quick Reply is designed to give people a minimal set of tools to reply to a thread without loading a new page. It's not supposed to be stripped of every utility. um yea it is. If you can't type the bb code or don't know it you probably need the other buttons too. Also i would support the removal of comic sans from the message options because that font sucks so hard. By leaving those there you are being hypocritical. They look weird and out of place. While we are on it the forum tools were much better on the top too bar. They were easier to read and it looks less cluttered with them there. The bar at the top looks odd and empty now.

LoCash
2005-01-06, 19:59
Perhaps in your concept of the quick reply box it is supposed to be just a box with a submit button, but we wanted to give the box additional functionality for the users, ergo we gave the users four commonly used buttons and the ability to quote the message you clicked on in your reply. Most users here do not use all of the buttons in the advanced reply page, and 90% of the time a user only ever needs to use Bold, Italic, Underline, and Quote. Many users prefer clicking the buttons and following the JavaScript prompts as opposed to hand typing in the vB code. We give those users that option. Because you, T&A, are not one of those people does not mean we will alter the usability and functionality of the site to serve your needs. Especially not with your attitude.

Paul
2005-01-06, 20:09
is there a missing post?

WBG4
2005-01-06, 20:12
I thought you wanted simple though? If you will do this why not let me have an avatar eh? If you are going to leave the buttons at least make them one big block. Also it's bb code not vb code. BB for bulletin board as it is universal to all boards.

2005-01-06, 20:14
is there a missing post?I can't see T&A either, Paul. I can see that she's posted, but not her post. Odd.

LoCash
2005-01-06, 20:19
I thought you wanted simple though? If you will do this why not let me have an avatar eh? If you are going to leave the buttons at least make them one big block. Also it's bb code not vb code. BB for bulletin board as it is universal to all boards.

And the quick reply box is incredibly simple. I've never had one user complain that it was not simple, or that it was complicated. The only complaint we have ever received has been of the gray text. I see no reason to break consistency in post editing buttons by actually physically changing the way the ones look on the quick reply page. By using the same buttons in the same placement you create a consistent look and feel that users are used to on the advanced page as well.

How you are managing to even bring avatars into this and attempt to liken our not enabling them to a choice to leave four buttons in the quick reply box is beyond me. These are two completely different issues, and you've heard our reasoning for not enabling avatars.

Furthermore, when on a vBulletin based message board, it is called vB code. If you would like further evidence, please visit this link (http://forums.applenova.com/misc.php?do=bbcode) that lists descriptions for all of the vB code you can add. I'm not going to debate nomenclature with you though.

WBG4
2005-01-06, 20:24
And the quick reply box is incredibly simple. I've never had one user complain that it was not simple, or that it was complicated. The only complaint we have ever received has been of the gray text. I see no reason to break consistency in post editing buttons by actually physically changing the way the ones look on the quick reply page. By using the same buttons in the same placement you create a consistent look and feel that users are used to on the advanced page as well.

How you are managing to even bring avatars into this and attempt to liken our not enabling them to a choice to leave four buttons in the quick reply box is beyond me. These are two completely different issues, and you've heard our reasoning for not enabling avatars.

Furthermore, when on a vBulletin based message board, it is called vB code. If you would like further evidence, please visit this link (http://forums.applenova.com/misc.php?do=bbcode) that lists descriptions for all of the vB code you can add. I'm not going to debate nomenclature with you though.
I would like to make my own posts thank you

johnq
2005-01-06, 20:25
LoCash,

I've been curious about why the user can't just click in the Quick Reply message field and start typing?

Seems odd to need to first have to click a reply in someone's post but perhaps I'm overlooking the reason?

Other, than that I love everything ;)

LoCash
2005-01-06, 20:37
Because see the checkbox beneath the quick reply field that says, "Quote message in reply?" Well, you have to first click "reply" in a message so that the checkbox knows which message you're even talking about. We can, however, disable that functionality and allow people to immediately start typing in. we opted not to initially because we found it broke something else. We will re-evaluate it.

WBG4
2005-01-06, 20:38
Because see the checkbox beneath the quick reply field that says, "Quote message in reply?" Well, you have to first click "reply" in a message so that the checkbox knows which message you're even talking about. We can, however, disable that functionality and allow people to immediately start typing in. we opted not to initially because we found it broke something else. We will re-evaluate it.
JW, what did it break?

Quagmire
2005-01-06, 20:41
At the forums I see T&A is the latest responder. I come here and I see no post by T&A. What is up with that?

johnq
2005-01-06, 20:58
Because see the checkbox beneath the quick reply field that says, "Quote message in reply?".....

Ok I see.

Here's my thinking (and this isn't even a suggestion so much as me explaining myself for why I asked):

If I've just read some posts and I'm now at the bottom of the page and I merely want to add to the conversation, I would like to just start typing into Quick Reply (and the quote checkbox remains inactive, because, as you said, it of course has no idea who I'd want to quote). And chances are good that at that point I don't want to quote someone anyway, else I would have clicked a quote button in someone's post.

Of course, if I had instead clicked a person's quote button, then it would behave as it does now.

scratt
2005-01-06, 21:07
At the forums I see T&A is the latest responder. I come here and I see no post by T&A. What is up with that?

I would hazard a guess that T&A is making trouble again and has perhaps been censored... Just a guess...

But if so... on this occasion I have to say I agree with Big Brother coming down on an annoying little SOB.

Now... Back on topic... I initially found the Quick Reply really really confusing and could not see the point to it at all..

I was also expecting to be able to type in the box straight away and then hit quick reply and could not see the point.

I have actually started to use it more and more... One advantage is that you can get straight down to a reply without waiting to load a new page... Occasionally (over here in Thailand) our adsl connection slows to a crawl and not haivng to reload a page is a boon...

I would agree that the grey text is a little hard to read..

onlyafterdark
2005-01-06, 22:06
I would agree that it is a little hard to read at times but I got used to it. Its not a big deal. I find that the quick reply box is all I use anymore; one less page to load (man Im getting lazy).

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-06, 22:41
Because see the checkbox beneath the quick reply field that says, "Quote message in reply?" Well, you have to first click "reply" in a message so that the checkbox knows which message you're even talking about. The only question that remains is this: can it be coded so that a poster can both click directly into the reply box and start typing (in which case the "quote" button would be disabled) AND click on a "reply" tab under a specific post and be able to use the "quote" button (as is the current functionality).

I don't have a problem with the grey text. My problems are at the top of the page: the page numbers are too close together and clicking on the desired page requires much more attention than should have to be the case, especially when using a trackpad. But I realise that the schema is still a WIP, the exceptional quality of which makes up for any small shortcomings. /suckup. But seriously, I do really like the look here.

:)

johnq
2005-01-07, 03:06
Site needs more of this... (http://geocities.com/kickass_designer/background.gif)

WBG4
2005-01-07, 06:09
I would agree that it is a little hard to read at times but I got used to it. Its not a big deal. I find that the quick reply box is all I use anymore; one less page to load (man Im getting lazy).
For users on dial up this box is a blessing beyond belief

LoCash
2005-01-07, 10:10
From the vBulletin AdminCP, where I have the option to allow you to just start typing into that quick reply box, it says the following...

If you set this option to 'no', users will not have to click the Quick Reply icon in order to type a message in the quick reply box.

However, this will be at the expense of the usefulness of the Threaded and Hybrid view modes, as the system will not know to which post a user is replying, so the threaded view will become non-sensical.

Set this option to 'no' at your own discretion.

We don't currently use threaded view, but if we ever did, this would make that problematic.

johnq
2005-01-07, 10:13
Threaded views suck anyway. :D *cough*slashdot*cough*

billybobsky
2005-01-07, 14:41
Site needs more of this... (http://geocities.com/kickass_designer/background.gif)
like i need a second lobotomy...

alcimedes
2005-01-07, 17:55
i think i'll turn the box on by default. i'm drunk, so why bother with the test server first. nothing like upgrades while drinking. i bought 36 beers, so wish me luck!

Paul
2005-01-07, 18:37
cool...
any chance that grey text can still be there pre-click?

alcimedes
2005-01-07, 18:41
i had a meeting with a few others about that exact question.

unfortunately, the beer bottles were rather unresponsive. i think the anser is "fuck if i know"

LoCash
2005-01-07, 19:42
Well, there is no text in the box pre-click now... it's just empty since there are no instructions to use it. We've also made the text in the box black apparently. I think we're finally happy with the quick reply box. Next agenda: page numbers.

johnq
2005-01-07, 20:35
Hey, cool, thanks. Feels much more natural.

mrhilaryduff
2005-01-18, 17:08
Yeah the grey is kinda annoying, but posting with the quick reply is a valuable addition... :)

LoCash
2005-01-18, 17:26
Yeah the grey is kinda annoying, but posting with the quick reply is a valuable addition... :)
We ditched the grey, man :)

onlyafterdark
2005-01-18, 18:55
Yes, thank you for the new improvements to the quick reply box. Definately makes things a little easier and faster.

WBG4
2005-01-18, 19:48
OOOO black. Thank you who ever changed this =]