PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomic Chair

Swox
2009-02-23, 23:06
I have back problems, and I need suggestions for an ergonomic chair for a tall, broad shouldered man, ideally with a headrest and soft arms. I prefer straight backs - no curving ones.

Because I work on a laptop, it doesn't necessarily have to be an office chair, though that wouldn't hurt either. A great lounge chair that has some sort of table for a laptop and can recline with a foot rest would be awesome...

I can probably get funding for at least part of it, so cost isn't much of a factor - I can probably spend around $1000 or so, maybe more.

Any suggestions?

Brad
2009-02-23, 23:33
Is this for work or for relaxing?

IIRC, proper ergonomic task chairs for long stretches of work don't have headrests and actually have firm armrests, the point being you shouldn't be resting your head and arms on them much if you're maintaining good posture, and, of course, the curved back is an important (and therefore common) part of the design to properly support and shape your lumbar and spine.

:p

Executive chairs, on the other hand, are in no way designed ergonomically for computer work. These are the high-back kind you typically see in leather with padded arms and back. They are designed for appearance, for regular shifting (kicking back and leaning forward as in having discussions/meetings), and for shorter lengths of time in use.

If you're looking for a lounge chair for comfort, well, those things are never designed for actual work. Sure, a reclining lounge chair can be used with a notebook in your lap, but if you intend to use one like that for any length of time, you'll probably strain your neck or arms.

Personally, if I had the money to burn, I'd probably buy a swopper (http://www.thehumansolution.com/swopper.html) and a new desk with a proper (or adjustable) height. Sure, this swopper thing looks ridiculous, but once you actually sit on it, you realize that it forces you (and not in a bad way) to properly sit upright and support yourself with your own core muscles. A coworker of mine has owned and used one at work for the past four years and it's always a joy to sit on (and I have regular back pains, too). He swears by his and with good reason.

http://static0.shopify.com/s/files/1/0000/7033/products/specialedition_black_1_large.jpg?0

Swox
2009-02-23, 23:56
Thanks Brad!

What I meant by a curve is one that curves in on the sides, which scrunches my shoulders in, not a natural curve in the back type of thing (obviously not a problem with the chair you've suggested ;) ).

I suppose the head rest wouldn't be needed if the chair supported my back and posture properly, which my current one doesn't. I just need some padding on the arms because I spend a lot of time reading in my chair with my elbows on the rests, which eventually starts to hurt of they're really hard. However, I could always improvise something for the arm rests if the chair was otherwise good.

AndyX
2009-03-06, 06:57
Hi Swox,

I've got one of these: http://www.asd.co.uk/

Very comfy. It may be worth finding out if you can get them over there...

Andy

nikstar101
2009-03-07, 16:46
Brad that spring loaded stool thing looks like the single most scary seat related thing ever!! I know that it is probably great for you back, but surely i must be really tiring with not upper body support all day!!

Hmm, i have got one of those Aeron chairs at work, with the extra lumber support and that is pretty good. I can sit in that all day and to feel to bad afterwards. But it doesn't a head rest and the back i kinda curved, so basically everything you didn't want :lol:

Swox
2009-03-07, 19:00
Hi Swox,

I've got one of these: http://www.asd.co.uk/

Very comfy. It may be worth finding out if you can get them over there...

Andy

Those look awesome, but I can't find them in Canada... :(

Fahrenheit
2009-03-07, 19:52
I have a Herman Miller Mirra

http://sukle.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/mirra-014-704629.jpg

Its awesome. It's not comfortable per se, but you get the idea - just brilliant support, breathable, incredibly adjustable. And well built. With a 12 year guarantee. :)

Pricey though.

canyon_Carver
2009-03-08, 11:17
The best office chair Ive ever bought was a YOGA BALL-- and I've purchased at least 5 "office chairs" trying to find one that doesn't wreck my back after 8 hours.

$40 -- Gaiam Yoga Ball "burst proof". Not only is it comfortable, no pressure points. But it forces you to pivot your lowerback into alignment (otherwise you fall off). You are constantly moving, and doing small bounces which help your muscles stay loose and not "lock up" by maintaining a constant stress like in a chair.

It sounds silly, it looks silly. But I can testify to the ability of a YOGA BALL as a Office chair and NO BACK PAIN for over 3 years. Its very affordable seeing that some "ergo chairs" can easily top $1000.

Try it you'll like it.

Plus at the end of the day, you can roll backwards and stretch your back out. Lets see an ergo chair do that.

Brad
2009-03-08, 13:39
The best office chair Ive ever bought was a YOGA BALL
This is a good idea, but definitely be sure you get the right size ball for your height. Also, it helps if your desk height is adjustable, as I seem to sit a little bit lower even with the largest size ball fully inflated.

But it forces you to pivot your lowerback into alignment (otherwise you fall off). You are constantly moving, and doing small bounces which help your muscles stay loose and not "lock up" by maintaining a constant stress like in a chair.
This is exactly how that "swopper" chair pictured above works. Nick, the guy at work who has one, is constantly bouncing softly on it, but that's how it's intended.

AndyX
2009-03-08, 17:40
I tried a gym ball / yoga ball but it wasn't that good because it was too low. I've not been able to find one big enough yet (I'm not heavy - just tall!!). Plus, I work from home AND have two little boys. Giant bouncy balls are great fun if you're three!

admactanium
2009-03-09, 02:50
I've had a good ole trusty Aeron chair now for 8 or 9 years. Most comfortable chair I've ever owned. For an non-office chair I highly recommend looking into an Ekornes Stressless chair. Might be out of your price range but my brother has a whole Stressless living room suite and that stuff is RIDICULOUSLY comfortable.

Swox
2009-03-09, 13:32
I've had a good ole trusty Aeron chair now for 8 or 9 years. Most comfortable chair I've ever owned. For an non-office chair I highly recommend looking into an Ekornes Stressless chair. Might be out of your price range but my brother has a whole Stressless living room suite and that stuff is RIDICULOUSLY comfortable.

That's the company I was thinking about! I saw them on an infomercial (awful, I know), which was the first and only time I've been intrigued by one of those things. I'm going to go price them out. Maybe between a grant and some of my own cash I can get one...

Thanks!

Axl
2009-04-17, 23:30
Hey Swox, what's the status with your chair?

I'm getting a Swopper, baby! Too bad there isn't an armrest version, which is important for computer work, 'cuz it relieves your shoulder from constant tension.

Brad
2009-04-17, 23:48
I'm getting a Swopper, baby!
Really? Awesome! :) Share pics once you've set up that bad boy.

Swox
2009-04-17, 23:51
Wow, I'm always amazed by what a good memory your guys have for threads - I'd almost forgotten all about this!

My purchase is really dependent on me getting a grant for it, for which I need a doctor's note. I've got an appointment in several weeks, so once I get that, apply for the grant, and get the response regarding the grant (with a budget, etc.), I'll let you guys know what I choose!

Hopefully, that grant's also going to come with a new MBP... :D

admactanium
2009-04-18, 03:04
That's the company I was thinking about! I saw them on an infomercial (awful, I know), which was the first and only time I've been intrigued by one of those things. I'm going to go price them out. Maybe between a grant and some of my own cash I can get one...

Thanks!
If you find a store with the Stressless furniture, do what my brother and I did. We sat on the Ekornes stuff for a bit. Then we went around and sat on nearly every other sofa in the warehouse store. The proof was in the sitting. Nothing in that store was as comfortable as the Stressless stuff. It's just ridiculously comfy. I wish I had more disposable income for that stuff.

Swox
2009-09-19, 20:15
Well, I finally got my grant and my chair, as well as a crazy keyboard and mouse tray.

My chair is the Squig (http://www.keilhauer.com/index3.asp?main=/products/categoryfamily.asp?CategoryID=5&chairmenu=/chairmenuNF.asp), made here in Toronto, which is pretty cool :D . I'm amazed by how good this chair is for my posture! I've even noticed that it feels much more natural to be sitting and walking with proper posture, even when I'm out and about.

My only complaint is that the armrests are really hard, but I'm going to fix that by sewing together some sort of cover for them with some nice padding in it. Anyway, here's a pic of the chair from their site:

http://www.keilhauer.com/images/products/9921_group3.jpg

My keyboard tray is the Humanscale 5G (http://dev.humanscale.com/products/keyboard_systems.cfm?detail=build&subdetail=mechanism), which is pretty damn cool! It was a total PITA to install on my desk, but it's pretty sweet now that it's in.

Hopefully, these changes will make this term a lot less painful.