PDA

View Full Version : Oh my, Paris Deja Vu fakery?

Messiahtosh
2005-01-07, 14:39
http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=newbie4&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.1.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en

Brad
2005-01-07, 14:43
:lol: Someone needs to learn how to spell.

And maybe actually look at what you get when you open a box from Apple for the first time.

(Yes, I realize "Centre" is an accepted spelling in some countries, but remember that Apple is based in the USA and that any product released at a US event (heck, even releases in other countries!) will have American English working all over it.)

Wraven
2005-01-07, 14:44
'Tosh,
Is this real?

Brad
2005-01-07, 14:45
No. :) You can even see where the printed-out paper is wrapped around the edge of the box, despite the efforts to try to hide it with crappy JPEG artifacts! :lol:

Messiahtosh
2005-01-07, 14:46
Just noticed that, "Media Centre" :p

I found this floating around at the other Apple-related forum, the one that looks similar to this one. ;)

Deestar
2005-01-07, 14:49
The video looks pretty legit to me!!!!!!!

thequicksilver
2005-01-07, 14:50
That's so unbelievably fake it's untrue. Can't wait for the kiddies on Spymac to wet themselves over this.

Wraven
2005-01-07, 14:52
As easy as it was for him to turn it a little on the vertical plane in the video, and the sheen of the surface, it makes me think this thing is made out of cardboard. I smell a fake.

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 14:52
Wow..people are getting better at da fakes. I like how he/she took the photos from iLife04 and put them on the box.

Gizzer
2005-01-07, 14:55
Dammit!!!! I was just about to post an OMG!!! because the box looks so convincing. And, because i'm from ol' Blighty "Centre" is the proper spelling so I never even noticed it. Damn :\

psmith2.0
2005-01-07, 14:59
It's the same damn elevator! :mad:

Chris, is this YOU? I swear, I will drive to Pennsylvania tonight to administer a choking...

:p

Gizzer
2005-01-07, 15:01
As easy as it was for him to turn it a little on the vertical plane in the video, and the sheen of the surface, it makes me think this thing is made out of cardboard. I smell a fake.

I agree - I noticed that too: It looks like the same sheen as the white cardboard the packaging is made from. Also, he's pretty much holding it in his finger tips and rotating it in such a way it looks like it weighs nothing.

Damn good fake though - and although the "video" is a stroke of genius, it's actual execution marks it as a fake. PLUS it's almost "My god, not another mac in an elevator!" (even though it's actually a room).

10 out of 10 for effort!!

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-07, 15:02
Dammit!!!! I was just about to post an OMG!!! because the box looks so convincing. And, because i'm from ol' Blighty "Centre" is the proper spelling so I never even noticed it. Damn :\

Ditto. I found it quite convincing. But then I am quite slow. However, the background looks exactly the same as the one for the Paris fakes, as M'tosh hints at.

I think the biggest giveaway to fakeness is that there are so few boxes and they are just lying there in a non-descript corner, without any further packaging.

I call "fake", mainly 'cos 'iHome' (elgato's eyeHome anyone?) sounds crap and looks pretty crap in those pics.

(Pls don't be real! etc etc)

Brad
2005-01-07, 15:17
Just a few highlights of how this is a FAILURE. ;)

Deestar
2005-01-07, 15:21
Did a US trademark search for "iHome" there was an application by Apple in 2000 but it is now classed as "abandoned"...

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=l2c5u.1.1

Registration Number: 75867104

oldmacfan
2005-01-07, 15:36
Just a few highlights of how this is a FAILURE. ;)

Could you explain what you are circling? Thanks...

psmith2.0
2005-01-07, 15:39
He's circling where the numbnut taped/glued the printouts of his mockup/fake type onto an existing, appropriately-sized box. You can see seams, edges, the taped page extending PAST the box edges, etc.

:)

adam_tj
2005-01-07, 15:39
It's gotta be cardboard. The light reflection off of it looks like the box's.

Same guy as Paris, I bet.

Brad
2005-01-07, 15:45
He's circling where the numbnut taped/glued...
Ding ding ding!

http://www.countryartists.co.uk/site/winner.jpg

oldmacfan
2005-01-07, 15:51
Once I downloaded that pic and viewed it at full size, I could finally see what Brad was circling. the dented corner in the lower right and the tape seam along the top really kill this fake bad. My first clue to it being a fake was the poor packaging. Apple goes to great lengths to make opening the box a memorable experience.

psmith2.0
2005-01-07, 15:54
I won a banana AND a blue ribbon! What a day this has been! :eek: :p

Luca
2005-01-07, 15:54
The title of this thread made me think of something entirely different. "Paris," "fake" and "Deja Vu" all used in the same sentence... :lol:

oldmacfan
2005-01-07, 15:56
The title of this thread made me think of something entirely different. "Paris," "fake" and "Deja Vu" all used in the same sentence... :lol:

Paris Faking it is not Deja Vu but a quite regular event...

Messiahtosh
2005-01-07, 16:00
I just titled it based on the Paris Expo elevator fake. Deja Vu...yeah i'm sorry. :lol:

kscherer
2005-01-07, 16:26
How long will it be until one of you sillies actually begins to believe these "photos" are true. Has there EVER actually been a REAL photo of an as-yet-unreleased "rumor object"? :no:

Looks to me like a 14" iBook box.

kscherer
2005-01-07, 16:27
After furtther review, its a 12" iBook box.

thegelding
2005-01-07, 16:31
Has there EVER actually been a REAL photo of an as-yet-unreleased "rumor object"? :no:

didn't we get leaked photos of the cube from workerbee and nobody believed them...

TimeCanada gave us leaked photos of the iMac FP G4

i believe we also got leaked photos of the G4 towers that everyone said were photoshop fakes

g

Brad
2005-01-07, 16:34
didn't we get leaked photos of the cube from workerbee and nobody believed them...Yup! Miraculously, they are still hosted on a my ISP's server that I had in high school. See for yourself! (http://users.netmcr.com/~bsmith/)

i believe we also got leaked photos of the G4 towers that everyone said were photoshop fakesYup, these too were posted on the AI forums.

MCQ
2005-01-07, 16:51

Best post of the day! :lol:

LudwigVan
2005-01-07, 16:53
i believe we also got leaked photos of the G4 towers that everyone said were photoshop fakes

I think it was leaked photos of this guy:

http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/g4_mdd.jpg

BuonRotto
2005-01-07, 16:54
Yeah, but I can spot a fake a mile away. Haven't been wrong yet, including the Cube.

Speaking of, let me take a moment after looking at those old pics to say that it was a truly bee-yoo-tee-ful machine. Shame on Apple for pricing it so poorly! (hint, hint)

morningstarrising
2005-01-07, 16:56
Reminds me, I really really want a G4 Cube..but if this new 500 mac is adorable..I may switch to that...

thegelding
2005-01-07, 16:57
yeah....the G4 "wind tunnel" tower raised the whole "speed holes" conversation

speed holes make it go faster

g

though i didn't believe it because of the mirrors...apple designers should know that computer geeks don't like to look into mirrors...ruins the whole D&D fantasy world for them of "i am a mighty wizard/orge/knight" when a pimply face with glasses and unwashed hair is looking back at them

Casual
2005-01-07, 17:27
did anyone save them? I'd like to see.

Gizzer
2005-01-07, 17:55

Click the link at the top of page 1!!

cudaboy_71
2005-01-07, 21:49
noone's mentioned the fact that if you pick the box up by the handle, the layout's upside down.

i design retail packaging....that's the first thing i noticed. then, the crappy styro, then the tape job on the box. never caught 'centre' until you all mentioned it.

fake-o

defaultmike
2005-01-07, 23:54
call me crazy or naive, but I think those look real. And honestly, who would put the time and the effort into producing something like this just for a laugh? Also, who would have 2 iMac boxes, 1 G5 box, 1 cinema screen box, and two smaller ones (or products that I don't even know what they are)... and if anyone actually went through the time and effort to create such an elaborate hoax... they deserve to trick me! :P

So when Jan 11th comes around, I'll be expecting the "iHome Media Centre" :P

Akumulator
2005-01-07, 23:59
Not only do I think they look fake... the design sucks. It looks more fake by design than by the apparent taped on print outs.

johnq
2005-01-08, 00:06
This is real though, I found it on Newsweek's server:

http://nullface.com/ai/macpod.jpg

And I'm lying my frigging ass off.

:D

Akumulator
2005-01-08, 00:11
What's with the idea of a built in iPod dock? It's completely pointless.

I'm all for an Apple media console but I don't think It'll happen for quite a while and I definately am sure that the sub $500 mac won't be it. If/when Apple makes a media component, it will be as elegant or more so than any other home stereo/theater component.... none of these mock ups or fakes are even close.

johnq
2005-01-08, 00:14
Having a slot for syncing/updating the iPod would be great. One less wire dangling around, with the old cradle/s.

Akumulator
2005-01-08, 00:23
Yeah, that's such a pain. It makes no sense to put a space on top of a computer for your iPod. Especially a flat computer like that where someone might put their display on top. I would rather have an iPod cradle that I could put anywhere I want on my desk... opposed to a designated spot on the machine that may be located down on a shelf, floor or wherever you decide to put it. Bad bad bad.

BlueRabbit
2005-01-08, 00:25
The iPod dock would just drive the price up (and look ugly when no iPod is plugged in), so I doubt it will be part of the CheapMac. The rows of indicator lights, on the other hand, are awesome. If the PM and iMac get cool blinking lights like that, Apple's market share will surely go up, by a couple percentage points at least.

:p

Brad
2005-01-08, 00:38
The suspicious G4 picture? Among the reasons it was questionable are that the image is stretched and pixellated and the handles appeared to have ridges like the older graphite towers.

Enjoy. :)

Barto
2005-01-08, 01:16
I'm sure a pizza-box Mac or home-theatre component, if it had an iPod Dock, would have a more freakin' sensible dock that one randomly in the middle of the box.

Messiahtosh
2005-01-08, 01:22
http://www.bradspry.com/graphics/timeihome.gif

LudwigVan
2005-01-08, 03:25
The suspicious G4 picture? Among the reasons it was questionable are that the image is stretched and pixellated and the handles appeared to have ridges like the older graphite towers.

On the other hand, at the time of this photo's leak, I pointed out evidence for its authenticity: the guy whose head is cropped off on the left hand edge of the photo.

And thanks, Brad, for posting this picture. :) I had no luck finding a copy of it earlier today when I wrote my previous post.

intlplby
2005-01-08, 18:42
i guess it may be just me, but i saw it as an obvious fake because they are using the wrong typeface.....

look at the dot in the "i" and the proportions of the "e"

the "o" is the wrong proportion

the barb on the "m" is angled in apples typeface and not flat ...

looks like they used Arial for the typeface and not the apple typeface....

apple's is similar to Myriad Pro, but the top of the "i" bar is curved inwards to accomodate the "i" dot and a few other changes