PDA

View Full Version : Canon 50D vs. 40D

Swox
2009-03-11, 22:04
The wife has decided that we should get a new camera body (whoopie!), and currently the price difference between the two cameras is about $200. We're thinking that it's probably worth the extra $ to get the 50D. I've read all sorts of reviews and comparisons about both of them, but before we pull the trigger, I just wanted to make sure there's nothing we're missing here.

Comments? Suggestions? Thoughts? Synonyms?

And now I am mandated to say: My wife is AWESOME! (she is also insisting on caps for awesome).

billybobsky
2009-03-11, 22:12
no opinion on the camera but HA!

PB PM
2009-03-11, 22:46
It depends. Some reviews I've seen say that the 40D is a much better camera, due to the lower pixel density. If you use high ISO, I'd say stay away from the 50D. Not being a Canon user, I wont say anymore.

Dorian Gray
2009-03-12, 17:58
It depends. Some reviews I've seen say that the 40D is a much better camera, due to the lower pixel density.
Some reviews talk crap though. :p The higher read-out noise of the 50D (due to more pixels) is offset by a higher quantum efficiency, higher total light-gathering area, or something else (it may not even have higher readout noise if they've improved the analogue-to-digital converters). Canon marketed the 50D as a big improvement over the 40D in low light, and that it is not. But it's no worse either, and perhaps/probably marginally better.

The trouble with the 50D was the launch price relative to the 40D's price at the time, especially when Nikon had the hot D300 poaching anyone on the fence (for reasons not quite known to me, as I always thought the D300 was overpriced). For just $200 difference now, I'd probably go with the 50D over the 40D. Unless it meant that I'd have to sacrifice a nice new lens in the process. But as your wife is AWESOME, I doubt that's an issue. :D (I'm trying, Swox.)

One thing to consider is whether video is important to you (it isn't to me), as the 60D (or whatever it's called) will almost certainly have video to better compete with the Nikon D90. But I have no idea if it will arrive tomorrow or in two years.

Dorian Gray
2009-03-12, 18:41
Coming back to this thread: a quick Google reveals a likely new Rebel on March 25th. It's supposed to get the same 15-megapixel sensor as the 50D and have a movie mode. It will be cheaper, too, of course (and less well built, etc.). Something to keep in mind.

Swox
2009-03-12, 20:14
The xxD line has been updated every 1.5 years +/- 1 quarter every year since its first incarnation. Seeing as this was just released in October 2008, I think we'd be good for a while.

My wife's biggest complaint about our old rebel is the focusing mechanism, which isn't like to see major improvement in a new Rebel body. However, we may put it off a bit just to be sure.

As far as lenses go, we're pretty satisfied with the one we have. At some point I want to add a 50mm f1.4 lens, but the will have to wait until I'm making some more cash for that.

Our Rebel body really pisses my wonderful wife off, so that's what's driving the purchase. And she's going to pay for most of the new body too. :D

OK, now I'm just bragging... ;)

NosferaDrew
2009-03-12, 21:38
I just purchased a 50D - my first DSLR.

I was slightly torn between the 40D and the 50D, but ultimately went with the 50D because of the greatly improved LCD screen and new Digic 4 processor.
I paired the 50D body with the Canon EF 24 - 105 mm F4.0L lens (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082207canonlenses.asp) and it is a thing of beauty.

I'm not used to having such a large camera. It dwarfs my friends Rebel XTi and my Canon G9.

Really haven't been able to get out and shoot, but I hope to this weekend.

Swox
2009-03-12, 22:20
I want that lens so much... though for my uses, I'd prefer that focal length on a full-frame camera. I've spent so long drooling over the new 5D mkII and that lens...

NosferaDrew
2009-03-13, 02:08
Ya know, Swox, I was going to get the 5D MkII, but I thought that it would be really too much camera for me so I bumped down and now I'm thinking that about the 50D! :D

I carry my camera everywhere, but I don't think I'll be doing that with my 50D.
http://homepage.mac.com/drew1/.Pictures/50D_G9.jpg

Swox
2009-03-13, 02:26
*sigh*

I love that red ring... just seeing it makes me weak in the knees :lol:

admactanium
2009-03-13, 02:58
I'll be upgrading from my 30d later this year. Most likely I'll end up with the 5D II. I was really ready to pull the trigger on the 50D but after their shipping delays I thought I'd want and think it over. I already have an expensive L walkaround for APS-C format in the 17-55 2.8. But I think I'm really going to want the full frame and movie mode of the 5D II. I tried to rationalize that I don't really need it but I really want it. With a new baby coming I might just use that as my HandyCam replacement until she gets old enough to move around necessitating a more video friendly device.

Swox
2009-03-13, 13:39
I'll be upgrading from my 30d later this year. Most likely I'll end up with the 5D II. I was really ready to pull the trigger on the 50D but after their shipping delays I thought I'd want and think it over. I already have an expensive L walkaround for APS-C format in the 17-55 2.8. But I think I'm really going to want the full frame and movie mode of the 5D II. I tried to rationalize that I don't really need it but I really want it. With a new baby coming I might just use that as my HandyCam replacement until she gets old enough to move around necessitating a more video friendly device.

You seem to already know this, but I just thought I'd mention it in case: that 17-55mm lens won't fit the 5D II. It's really odd and sad that that terrific lens won't work on a full-frame camera, and it's one of the main reasons I went with the Tamron 17-50mm instead (I'm hoping to go full frame at some point and don't shoot low-light that often).

I'm sure you'll get decent resale value on it, though.

PB PM
2009-03-13, 17:37
I was in my local photography store today picking up my 300mm F4 Nikkor (sorry Canon guys), and someone was buying the 50D. The salesman has a 50D and said he went to a trade show and got excellent results with the 50D even at ISO 3200. He mentioned that the shots were a little on the flat side, but not bad considering how high the ISO was. He seemed very pleased with the results.

stevegong
2009-03-14, 06:49
*sigh*

I love that red ring... just seeing it makes me weak in the knees :lol:

LOLOL This is proof that Canon is a marketing genius!

Nikon similarly has a ring, except it's gold, and I've colored it in with a sharpie on all my lenses, lol.

PB PM
2009-03-14, 12:43
Nikon similarly has a ring, except it's gold, and I've colored it in with a sharpie on all my lenses, lol.

Yes Gold is very cool. ;)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2536/dsc3830b.jpg

stevegong
2009-03-14, 12:58
Show off. :p

PB PM
2009-03-14, 13:12
Yeah, its my one gold lens, so I do feel like showing it off. :lol: I wont be getting anymore till I get paid to use them, they cost way too much!

Swox
2009-03-14, 13:37
I got a gold ring for only $460 a few years ago, and it works beautifully on my Canon camera, too!

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_17-50/a16.jpg

:D

admactanium
2009-03-14, 13:40
You seem to already know this, but I just thought I'd mention it in case: that 17-55mm lens won't fit the 5D II. It's really odd and sad that that terrific lens won't work on a full-frame camera, and it's one of the main reasons I went with the Tamron 17-50mm instead (I'm hoping to go full frame at some point and don't shoot low-light that often).

I'm sure you'll get decent resale value on it, though.

Yeah. I know it won't fit, which is a shame because it's a fantastic lens. If I didn't already have that lens the decision would have been much easier.

PB PM
2009-03-14, 13:44
I got a gold ring for only $460 a few years ago, and it works beautifully on my Canon camera, too!

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_17-50/a16.jpg

:D

:lol: Good one, as all Tamron lenses have a gold ring. For me, its personal preference to not use third party lenses. Range is an issue, but for FF, I would go with one of the 24-70mm lenses. Both Canon and Nikon make great lenses in that range, although Sigma and Tamron's lenses in that range are still good for the budget minded buyer.

Dorian Gray
2009-03-16, 16:49
Swox, you might be interested in having a look at DXOMark (www.dxomark.com), which makes an attempt to objectively compare different cameras. I'm less interested in their one-figure scores than their data, which is accessible in their Image Quality Database.

Here (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/180|0/(appareil2)/267|0/(appareil3)/183|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon) is a comparison of the Canon EOS 40D, 50D and your Rebel XT (350D in the rest of the world).

Click on the SNR 18% tab to see a comparison of signal-to-noise ratio at 18% grey exposure. Your 350D beats them both! Unfortunately that's a per-pixel comparison (e.g. 100% view: the source of much confusion when it comes to noise). By clicking the Print button above the graph, you can compare SNR values normalised for the pixel-count differences. Then the 50D comes ahead by a whisker, with the 350D trailing.

The Tonal Range graph (average noise) tells a similar tale, as does Color Sensitivity. In Dynamic Range, however, the 40D and 50D pull away from the 350D, with almost a stop more dynamic range available at medium ISOs. This can be important, as you know from your incident not so long ago with a blown red flower. :p

That said, to get a huge leap in sensor performance you'd need to go full-frame. In other respects though (such as auto-focus, etc.) both the 40D and 50D should be a big improvement over the Rebel XT.

Swox
2009-03-16, 23:36
Damn, I'd written a response, but my Safari crashed! Buummer!!!

Anyway, first off, thanks for the info Dorian!

I tried out both xxD models today and the latest Rebel, and I was shocked by how much bigger and brighter the viewfinder is on the former! Maybe it's just me, but I find the Rebel ones a bit difficult and tiring to use. The xxD models are a real pleasure to look through!

I was also very impressed by the autofocus on the xxD models - fast and accurate, even in low light. Very nice!

We were looking at the 5D mkII, but we couldn't justify the extra $2500 for what is currently a secondary hobby (music being the first for me). (BTW, the reason it's so much more is that we'd have to buy a lens worthy of he 5dmkII to go with it, while we already have a good lens to pair with the 50D).

So I think we're 90% decided on the 50D. It sure feels nice in my hands and on my eyes. Unfortunately. the one I saw at the store was out of batteries, so I couldn't compare LCD's. We'll be going together to look at them, and the 5DmkII (keep your fingers crossed that it blows the wife away and she has to get it!) this weekend if all goes as planned.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

World Leader Pretend
2009-03-18, 23:53
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/Mother7.jpg

My lens is bigger!

PB PM
2009-03-19, 00:11
We were talking about rings, not size. As Yoda said, size matters not! BTW, what lens is that? :D

Swox
2009-03-19, 01:09
Probably the Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=154&modelid=16358). A bargain at $10,000 USD. :lol:

PB PM
2009-03-19, 01:17
Yeah I was going to say, $10,000 as a guess, but didn't even want to think about it. Just a little more than the $1300 I paid for mine. :lol:

stevegong
2009-03-19, 08:03
Meh, no mach for this: Nikon 1200-1700mm (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/12001700mm.htm)

ezkcdude
2009-03-19, 08:27
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/Mother7.jpg

My lens is bigger!

I think there's some cheating going on here...was this shot not taken with a super wideangle?

At any rate, if I had all the money in the world I'd get the Nikon AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/telephoto/af-s_600mmf_4g_vr/img/pic_001_l.jpg

stevegong
2009-03-19, 09:06
I believe this is a staple for the paparazzi. I've always wanted to be one of them.

PB PM
2009-03-19, 12:30
Yes Steve that is one awesome lens. I saw a bird photographer with one of those last month, it is so long! They guy had to keep his tripod vertical when carrying it (little Japanese guy with a D3), to prevent it from hitting the ground.

I think we should try to get back on topic though. You know the 40D or the 50D... not who has the biggest lens, because we know the answer already ;)

Dorian Gray
2009-03-19, 12:45
Probably the Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=154&modelid=16358). A bargain at $10,000 USD. :lol:
Beeeeeeeep. Following the trail leads to this page (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Mother-of-All-L-Lenses.jsp), which says the lens is a 1200 mm f/5.6 priced at $99,000.

I believe this is a staple for the paparazzi. I've always wanted to be one of them.
I have a friend who's a paparazzi here in Paris (with a scooter and everything). He uses a Canon 5D Mark II and 70-200 f/2.8. Still want to be one of them? :p

stevegong
2009-03-19, 12:54
I have a friend who's a paparazzi here in Paris (with a scooter and everything). He uses a Canon 5D Mark II and 70-200 f/2.8. Still want to be one of them? :p

Woo! That means I'm good to go with my D700 + 80-200 f/2.8!!!

That's incredible you have a friend who does this. Does he want a free assistant? I will assist for free if I get to make friends with a paparazzi.

Dorian Gray
2009-03-19, 13:09
That's incredible you have a friend who does this. Does he want a free assistant? I will assist for free if I get to make friends with a paparazzi.
He's actually a bit unfriendly. Well, he was fine until I lived with him for a couple of months. :lol: He was an engineer (designing roads), hated his job, packed it in, became a photographer, got some magazine assignments but not enough to live on, turned to paparazzi work. He bought that camera recently so I guess it's working out for him!

It's not something I'd want to do, but I think anyone who pays attention to gossip mags or websites has no right to be overly critical. I'm generally clueless about Hollywood and the like but even I read the odd celebrity piece.

Swox
2009-03-20, 14:29
Well, we've decided on a used 40D from our local camera store. We can get the body and a 3 year 3 month warranty for $949 after taxes (13% here). That's over $500 less than the 50D, and I don't personally feel that the 50D has features that warrant that difference for us.

I'll post a pic of our new camera when it comes in sometime next week. Thanks for all of the advice!

Dorian Gray
2009-03-21, 10:07
Well, we've decided on a used 40D from our local camera store. We can get the body and a 3 year 3 month warranty for $949 after taxes (13% here). That's over $500 less than the 50D, and I don't personally feel that the 50D has features that warrant that difference for us.
Oh absolutely. As I said in my first post, for $200 more it might well be worth getting the 50D. For $500: not a chance!

That's an amazing price too, if those are Canadian dollars (which I think they are). I paid almost that for a D60 and kit lens just seven months ago.

I think you made a wise choice. Especially as video is coming to DSLRs and it might not make much sense to buy the most expensive camera you can find just before its value plummets due to lack of video. (Not that video matters one bit to me personally. I have trouble enough getting nice stills, never mind attempting to light a feature film!)

PB PM
2009-03-21, 11:35
$949 used, (oh I noticed that is with tax, so that is a good price. You know you can find them in Canada new for $999, making a new one only $100 more (with tax if you order from out of Province), although the warranty is a good deal. :)

Swox
2009-03-21, 12:47
:lol:

Yeah, the body is $750 CAD, but we can get the extended warrantee for only $100, so we figure it's worthwhile to extend it past the three months they give us, just because it's used. It's also transferable, so if we decide to sell the camera a year or two from now, we can sign the warrantee over to the new owner, which is a nice selling point.

So it's about $200 less than a new 40D (after taxes), and we get a longer warrantee with it too. :)

We're also thinking that in a few years, we might have a bit more cash, and also have use for a full frame camera, and by then prices will have come down a bit on something like the 5D mkII.

Besides, it is the recession!!! ;) :lol:

PB PM
2009-03-21, 19:08
Yeah, that isn't a bad deal, and once you move to full frame the 40D will make a good backup camera! I know the sentiment about wanting to save a bit, $200 could be a big deal in a few months! I'm looking at a backup body myself right now, and used cameras with low shutter counts are looking very attractive! Did you get that deal through Henry's?

Swox
2009-03-21, 20:29
Yes, it's through Henry's. We'll likely be going there next week to pick one up, as soon as one comes in.

Swox
2009-03-31, 23:38
Well, we bought it today, and it's beautiful! You can focus with this bad boy in near darkness, and it focuses fast! And the handling and feeling of it are fantastic. Too bad it's going to be raining here for a few days - the first flowers are coming up and we can't wait to go out and fire off some shots!

The one hitch is that the previous owner was a smoker, so it kinda stinks. Any suggestions on how to clean the body? Can we use rubbing alcohol? Or should we just wait for it to fade away? Or start smoking ourselves so we don't notice?

PB PM
2009-04-01, 01:46
Do you have a dehumidifier? You could try putting it near that, and hope that it sucks the smell out of it.

I actually just ordered my backup body from Henry's this week, so I'm going to be getting it soon. :)

Dorian Gray
2009-04-01, 11:33
Coming back to this thread: a quick Google reveals a likely new Rebel on March 25th. It's supposed to get the same 15-megapixel sensor as the 50D and have a movie mode. It will be cheaper, too, of course (and less well built, etc.).
Don't say I didn't warn you (http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Consumer/Cameras_Accessories/EOS_500D_Press_Release.asp)! :p

Enjoy your 40D, Swox. Hope you get the smoke out of it! I think rubbing alcohol would be fine as long as you don't soak it in the stuff.

The 40D is a great camera: one of Canon's best efforts in my opinion. AWR bought one of those a while ago too, if I recall correctly.

I actually just ordered my backup body from Henry's this week, so I'm going to be getting it soon. :)
More details needed. D40? Maybe a D60?

PB PM
2009-04-01, 12:25
Actually, the slight older D50. I wanted to be able to auto focus primes, since I see myself moving to a all prime setup as time goes on, other than at the extreme wide end. Nikon seems to be reluctant to upgrade it's prime lineup to AF-S, thus I wanted another body with a motor for AFing. Another obvious reason for two bodies with a prime lens setup like that is less lens switching. Another nice thing about the D50 is it is the same size as the D80 I already have, which is nice since I find the smaller D40/D60 bodies uncomfortable to hold for very long.

Swox, don't forget to post picks of your new toy in the camera sharing thread! I'll be posting my D50 when it comes on Friday!

Swox
2009-04-01, 16:55
OK, now in the right thread:

I don't think it's OK to use rubbing alcohol on the rubber parts, right? Perhaps just a really slightly damp cloth?

Damn, smoking is such a stupid and nasty habit...

stevegong
2009-04-01, 17:25
Okay Swox,

Be careful with alcohol, I made some regretful errors with my D300...

It's actually fine to apply it on the rubber, but what's NOT fine is applying it to places where there's lettering, such as the buttons. It won't be immediately obvious, but after a few months, the triangle and trashcan lettering on my D300 started wearing off.

If you are still paranoid about using it on the rubber, dilute it with some H20. Screen cleaners seem to be nothing more than diluted alcohol.

And yes, pics in the camera pics thread, because "pics or it didn't happen."

torifile
2009-06-28, 22:03
Swox, how's the 40d working out for you? I'm ready to move on from our ancient 300D (we bought it 5 years ago!) and I'm staying with Canon because I *love* our 50mm f/1.4 lens. I'm tempted by the 500d for the video and it's quite a bit cheaper than the 50d.

Any other thoughts for me as I just start this search?

PB PM
2009-06-29, 02:21
I think it would depend on what you do with your camera. If the 500D style body is to your liking, then go for it. I though of going with Canon when I first was looking at a DSLR, but the size and shape of there entry level cameras wasn't too my liking and the 40D/50D was out of my price range. If you want a tough camera, which can take some bumps and keep going a used 40D or a new 50D might be the way to go, as they have a higher build quality.

AWR
2009-06-29, 05:07
I loved my 40D until now. It is in the repair chop and the quote to fix it is about USD600. :lol: :\

I've had it for about 15 months, and one recent day it just up and stopped working, wouldn't turn on. The repair quote describes the problem in about three words so I don't really know what happened. I have to give them a call and get the details. There's no mention of a warranty, my papers for the camera are AWOL (somewhere in the house), and I have found it impossible to speak with a live Canon person on the telephone.

I was contemplating the 5000 as a replacement in the case that I decided not to have the 40D repaired and went and had a look. It is a nice camera, but it felt too small after being comfortable with the 40D. I also wonder about the effect of no auto focus in the video mode.

I think I've decided to have the camera repaired and hope for the best. I too love my Canon 50mm 1.4, and was happy with the camera before it up and died. I think if I was to go new I would go with the 50D - nice build, very comfortable, great pictures. And I'm looking forward to picking up the 17-55mm f/2.8 in the States in a month; it'll be fun to have some more flexibility in shot composition!

Dorian Gray
2009-06-29, 05:54
I loved my 40D until now. It is in the repair chop and the quote to fix it is about USD600. :lol: :\
Sorry to hear that, AWR! Especially as I recall recommending that camera quite enthusiastically when you bought it. Of course even a "semi-pro" camera can fail, but that's hard luck. EU warranties are now two years on cameras by law, but perhaps it's different in Switzerland (or the US, if you bought it there).

I think the 40D remains the camera with the best value for money in Canon's range and arguably any manufacturer's range. Buy with confidence, torifile. I wouldn't bother with video DSLRs until the manufacturers get all the snags ironed out.

AWR
2009-06-29, 06:06
Just a bit bad luck is all. I bought it in the States (Amazon) but have yet to look into any rights I may have. Fingers crossed there.

Swox
2009-06-29, 13:02
We are crazy about our 40D! It was such a huge step up from our 350D (RebelXT) in every way - much bigger, much brighter viewfinder (you can actually manually autofocus), bigger LCD (though not higher resolution), great ergonomics, second control wheel (don't know why they don't put them on the Rebels...), much more control of options, more solid build, MUCH better autofocus... That's everything my tired brain can think of offhand.

I'd definitely look for a used 40D. We got ours with an extended warrantee (3 years) for $920 CAD. Very nice!

torifile
2009-06-30, 07:29
Where the heck do I find a 40d these days? I've found them at questionable places like us1photo.com but I'm not inclined to buy from a grey market shop like that. Any ideas?

SpecMode
2009-06-30, 07:39
Amazon has them, but you may want to look around for a decent price. (You might consider a refurbished (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-40D-Digital-SLR-Camera/dp/B001BDG3MO/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246365401&sr=8-15) body from Adorama Camera {beat you to it, AWR! ;)} for $699, for example).

AWR
2009-06-30, 07:40
Google it, dude!

;)

Amazon seems to use a pretty well regarded 3rd party seller...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html?ie=UTF8&seller=A17MC6HOH9AVE6

Matsu
2009-06-30, 09:03
My local Blacks Pro had them as well, but at virtually the same price as the 50D, they'll probably just gather dust...

torifile
2009-06-30, 11:59
How do you all feel about the XSi? Costco has it with a couple of IS lenses - the standard 18-55 and a 55-250 for $849. Sorry for getting off topic. :o

And, yes, I know how to google. I'm just apprehensive about using someone other than places like amazon for a big ticket item. :)

PB PM
2009-06-30, 12:53
Image quality wise, there is nothing wrong with the XSi, but don't buy one without trying both IMO, the 40D/50D is style body is worth putting up the extra cash for. Those low end lenses with IS are known for not being the greatest, but you can get some great photos with them. The biggest reason to avoid the XS, XSi are focus issues, which I've heard about, but honestly try them out and see which you like better.

Adorama (they often sell through Amazon BTW) or B&H are very big name camera stores, you don't need to worry about their reputations, if you are though, check our http://www.resellerratings.com/

Swox
2009-06-30, 13:06
How do you all feel about the XSi? Costco has it with a couple of IS lenses - the standard 18-55 and a 55-250 for $849. Sorry for getting off topic. :o

And, yes, I know how to google. I'm just apprehensive about using someone other than places like amazon for a big ticket item. :)

It's OK, you have my official permission as thread starter to take this a bit off topic ;)

I've also heard that Andorama (http://www.adorama.com/) is quite reputable. If you want a very reputable Canadian store, you can shop at Henry's (http://www.henrys.com) online. They even have an eBay store you can bid at.

I'd personally get a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. That's what we use most of the time, and it's just wonderful. It tests as well as Canon's 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens, but costs about half as much (though it doesn't have the IS). If you're going to be shooting moving subjects in lower light, you'll do better with a lens with a bigger max aperture than one with IS. Of course, your 50mm is pretty good at that already ;)

You should go to a camera store and try both the Rebel and the 40D or 50D out (if they don't have the 40D, everything but the screen is pretty much the same on the 50D). You'll be able to tell pretty quickly which is going to be nicer for you. I personally found the superior build (tough body, big, bright viewfinder, etc.) and ergonomics (that second control wheel is invaluable, especially if you ever shoot in manual mode) to be well worth it with the 40D. If you ever shoot for a couple of hours straight, you'll really appreciate those features!

torifile
2009-06-30, 20:03
http://rubyurl.com/i5ei

adorama has 2 options: body only for $699 or in the above configuration with a 28-135 IS USM lens for $899. What do you all think?

Swox
2009-06-30, 20:13
That seems to be a decent lens, but I would personally go for something that can go a bit wider. Remember that it's a cropped body camera (like the Rebels), so your widest setting on that is going to be equivalent to 45mm on a full-frame camera (your 50mm lens is equivalent to an 80mm lens). Because I like doing landscape photography, I need something wider than that, personally, so I'd go for the body and get something with 17 or 18mm on the wide end.

Just make sure you're looking at the ratings (I believe they rate all used equipment to indicate its condition) to make sure you're not going to buy one that's pretty beat up already.

torifile
2009-07-01, 00:10
I'm leaning towards the body only and picking up something like the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I like shooting that wide open. (My 50mm has spoiled me.) What do you all think?

The lens is quite pricey at $400 so I'll have to think about it quite a bit. I'm also thinking of going with a telephoto lens instead of that one. There are so many freakin' decisions to make when it comes to this stuff!

Any recs on a good telephoto?

NosferaDrew
2009-07-01, 02:28
Where the heck do I find a 40d these days? I've found them at questionable places like us1photo.com but I'm not inclined to buy from a grey market shop like that. Any ideas?

If you might be interested in a 50D (body only), I'll probably be selling mine soon - I've had it since March and it's just too big to carry around all the time.
I think I'm going to buy a T1i/500D as my everyday camera and then eventually buy a 5DMkII for special occasions when I'd like a full frame.

If you're into a [an] bro - bro deal, I'd be happy to comply.
Great camera, just too much as my first DSLR.

AWR
2009-07-01, 02:32
I'm in the same place, tori, with the next lens choice. Also coming from the 50mm f/1.4, I think I've made up my mind for a 17-50/55mm f/2.7. I arrived here by thinking that a move from f/1.4 to a slower lens will of course require some adjustment, and the 2.7 might alleviate some of that.

My more specific dilemma is whether to go with the Canon or the Tamron. They both seem like fine lens so at the end of the day I'm sure either would be fine. The Canon seems of a slightly better build and has Image Stabilization (which from what I've read is pretty handy), and supposedly faster and quiter AF. Whether its Pros justify double the price is impossible to value for me. Nice to see the Swox is happy with his Tamron, which is pulling me that way too.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/353/cat/11

I've got a couple of weeks to decide so no emergency at the moment.

[PS. You know I was just poking with the Google comment. ;) ]

PB PM
2009-07-01, 02:39
The only thing to watch for with Tamron is quality control, its hit and miss, much more so than with a Canon lens.

Matsu
2009-07-02, 14:53
This is likely overstated in forums around the web, but from those sources there seems to be a slightly higher than normal incedence of focus issues with Canon's EF mount and third party lenses compared to Canon's own lenses.

torifile
2009-07-04, 21:15
I ended up ordering a 50d from Amazon. They are running a promo (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_84302891_2?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&docId=1000373171&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=1TMYYN7VK5B3EGHNFFC5&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=476447091&pf_rd_i=B001EQ4BY0) where you get $300 off the camera when you order an 18-200 mm lens with it. Put me at $1485 for the camera + 28-135 + 18-200. I'm going to sell one of the lenses to put me in the $1000-1200 range depending on which I sell. No bad for a new 50d with a lens.

I seriously considered getting that refurb from Adorama, but the price was nearly the same for a new 50d or refurb 40d. It seemed absurd to go refurb when I could buy new for the same price. Should be here on Tuesday.

(I actually initially went with a 50d from Best Buy when they actually matched Amazon's price on the kit but then I found this promo, so the Best Buy one is going back.)

Swox
2009-07-05, 00:18
I'm sure you'll love it, Torifile. If I could have had the 50D for the same price, I definitely would have gone for it!

PB PM
2009-07-05, 02:06
Congrats, enjoy the new camera!