PDA

View Full Version : Listserv suggestions

torifile
2009-03-12, 20:34
Anyone using listserv software they don't hate? That wasn't a complete PITA to set up?

torifile
2009-03-13, 07:01
Turns out my Virtualmin (http://www.virtualmin.com/download.html) install included Mailman already. :) That one install.sh script did a whole hell of a lot. I highly recommend it if you're using a supported OS.

Of course, I can't seem to figure out how to receive emails to the list. I get my emails bounced saying "invalid address". Duh because I never created that particular address [listname]@div12apa.org. That's the default address mailman creates. Anyone have any experience with Mailman?

I tried manually creating those mailboxes but I get an error saying that address already exists! I'm confused... Any thoughts?

PKIDelirium
2009-03-13, 12:55
I've used Mailman but never had to do anything manually. I just create lists through cPanel's Mail section and it works fine. The needed addresses were automatically created when I made the lists.

torifile
2009-03-13, 13:53
I've used Mailman but never had to do anything manually. I just create lists through cPanel's Mail section and it works fine. The needed addresses were automatically created when I made the lists.
So something's not quite right with my setup. Thanks for confirmation. :)

torifile
2009-03-13, 22:29
I'm officially a moron. :lol: I didn't change my MX record to my linode server so it was sending mail to 1and1 (my registrar). Working on that right now. Hopefully we'll be up and running by morning. :)

torifile
2009-03-14, 18:46
Problem fixed. For anyone thinking about a VPS like linode, you really ought to use the virtualmin install script I linked above. I think it's done everything I need to the server, including setting up a working mail server!

Back on topic: the Mailman listserv seems fairly straightforward and I'm already pretty familiar with it since lots of lists seem to use it. I wonder if there's a way to send "newsletter" type emails to the list. I'll have to try it out.