PDA

View Full Version : Don't you get it?

drewhowe
2005-01-09, 05:29
It seems a little ridiculous how you guys are apple fans, but don't get it that seeking too much secret information HURTS APPLE. Sometimes it's for the best of all of us that we not get to find out what's going to happen until "big tuesday". I enjoy finding out this stuff as much as you do, but when it comes down to lawsuits, I think it's pretty obvious it's going too far. Apple releases are well timed, it's important that things are punctual, and it's not good for the company for half of the features of their new products to already be out there by the time they're out.

I'm well aware that often you guys have no clue what's really coming... that's not a good enough excuse for what you're doing. The fun of speculating is there. But isn't it even a lost rush when you know exactly what's coming- for instance the iPod mini last year? It was actually SAD for me to go downtown and see the iPod mini banners already unfurled. I was hoping for something beyond what seemed to be figured out.

So... I'm not saying you should just stop entirely, but I hope that you can take apple's legal threats not as threats, but as a reminder: what's good for us is what's good for Apple, and too much recon isn't good for Apple.

So that's the opinion of an apple-nut who's been paying attention to you guys for years. Take it like adults, don't whine, and listen to what the law says. "But I really really want to" isn't a valid reason to break the law.

staph
2005-01-09, 05:39
What.

the.

fuck.

If you've read the various threads about Apple's legal actions, you'll find that probably the majority of us support Apple taking action to protect its intellectual property. Ultimately, however, if Apple can't keep its IP under wraps, that's its problem, not ours. Apple isn't going to curl up and die simply because a bunch of spotty computer geeks spend time talking about possible products rather than interacting with their girlfriends or talking a walk down the boulevard.

Barto
2005-01-09, 06:14
All hail the mighty Apple!
All hail the mighty Steve!
All hail the mighty Law!

(In that order.)

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-09, 09:25
:|

When you say "you guys", you do realise that no-one associated with this site, bar one person, has anything to do with "...seeking too much secret information..." or "...break[ing] the law..." nor the faintest connection to anything else you mentioned in your post? Right?

:err:

Akumulator
2005-01-09, 13:11
He might be saying this here because AN is ThinkSecret's forum. I don't know.

nomorewindows
2005-01-09, 13:24
I'm well aware that often you guys have no clue what's really coming... that's not a good enough excuse for what you're doing. The fun of speculating is there. But isn't it even a lost rush when you know exactly what's coming- for instance the iPod mini last year? It was actually SAD for me to go downtown and see the iPod mini banners already unfurled. I was hoping for something beyond what seemed to be figured out.

So... I'm not saying you should just stop entirely, but I hope that you can take apple's legal threats not as threats, but as a reminder: what's good for us is what's good for Apple, and too much recon isn't good for Apple.

I hate to flame anyone, but. Please. Really. If you like being surprised then don't visit this forum. Don't go downtown, etc. As for "what's good for Apple..." QUESTION AUTHORITY.

And have a great day. :\

BarracksSi
2005-01-09, 15:44
The part that bothers me is that we all get so worked up about rumored products that we're disappointed when not all of them come true.

All of us rumor geeks were excited to see a sub-$200 iPod last year, but were bummed when the iPod mini came out 50 bucks more expensive.

Apple could roll out a headless Mac and an iWork suite, both of which might kick ass, but if they don't do the flash iPod or anything else, we'll all be disappointed because we had our hopes set unrealistically high.

I'll wait until I come home from work Tuesday. It's kinda neat to speculate, but I just can't treat anything as factual until I see it on Apple's website -- so I have to wait.

Brad
2005-01-09, 16:03
We already have a thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=3125) about the lawsuit against ThinkSecret and the ethics of reporting those rumors in the General Discussion forum. Please continue there.

You're been warned for one week since you can't seem to read either the Posting Guidelines (http://forums.applenova.com/guidelines.shtml) or the global announcement (http://forums.applenova.com/announcement.php?f=12).