PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsule/Airport Extreme and Dual Band operation

turtle
2009-05-01, 22:12
Ok, I'm thinking that I need to replace my Airport Express and WRT54G with one unit. Biggest reason being that the APE doesn't allow DHCP controls to be passed on to my MB anymore. I have static assigned addresses based on MAC address and it used to work...until a loss of power. Now I'm forced to connect my MB to the network via the WRT54G which means no more 802.11n.

So now I'm thinking about replacing my internal network routers with one of these. Since I'm running backups through my network this seems like it would be the best options for my mobiles and also give easier controls. Of course, I could just replace my APE instead to save a buck, but is it worth it.

How well does the dual band actually work?

turtle
2009-06-16, 00:45
So I ended up getting a 500GB TC and am running it just fine. My wife connects at 802.11g and I connect at 802.11n. Not sure how best to check this other than I'm on channel 149 and she's on channel 1.

Here's my next question though: When using my 802.11n Airport Express to extend the network, does it drop my (n) speeds down when our iPhone connects to the Express or does the Express drop to (g) speeds and leave me to connect directly to the router?

The Airport Express is wirelessly paired to the TC with "Extend a wireless network" being the mode selected. It is connected on channel 1 making me think it's slowed down to (g) speeds. Just wondering...looking forward to a dual-band express to remove the slowdown.

I'm thinking about using a network of Airport Expresses to move my network out to my "man cave" at my new house until I can get a trench dug and data cabling laid. just want to know how much of a performance impact the Expresses will have on the (n) side of my network.