PDA

View Full Version : Stop the madness!!

Gargoyle
2005-01-09, 19:20
You admins / mods seem to have a major job on your hands trying to keep the crappy threads under control the week or two before MWSF and WWDC. Do you think its worth while disabling new registrations on the two weeks prior to these events?

Wickers
2005-01-09, 20:01
I think this subject was covered back in the AI.com days...

Sure it's annoying, but think of the amount of people that would not be here now, as active members if not for the rumor mill catching their interest.

I for one started with AI.com when some rumors were flying around over an Apple event.

I also recall some suggestions that were shot down . . . like imposing a post prerequisite to start a new thread (which people thought would lead to spamming).

I say, bring on the n00bs! Let them come in droves... for when the dust settles, a few might stick around, and they just might be interesting people.

Brad
2005-01-09, 20:22
Well, I think it's a good thing that we haven't done anything drastic this time around. It'll give us some data to work with if we decide to so anything different in the future.

We'd love to hear some more ideas, though. :) So far, we've heard:

- minimum post restriction for new threads
- suspension of new registrations
- creating a new forum for the event

Luca
2005-01-09, 20:31
I don't like the posting restrictions... anyone registering here for the first time will be confused and probably quite irritated when it says they're not allowed to post. Having an "MWSF Madness" forum would be a good idea. It would also be small enough that we wouldn't have to lock most new threads started in it. We could also put sticky topics dealing with each major topic of discussion in there - have a "$500 Mac" thread, a "PowerBook" thread, etc.

Another idea would be to appoint an extra, temporary mod to help handle the traffic. Though I think the first idea is better.

MCQ
2005-01-09, 20:38
I like Luca's idea. A temporary forum in addition to sticky threads for popular topics should reduce the number of repeated topics that get posted during the frenzy. It should also provide for more directed discussion, rather than fragmented pieces here and there.

Quagmire
2005-01-09, 20:52
I third Luca's idea. I say bring on all the noobs. The more the noobs the more entertaining it gets in here!

Paul
2005-01-09, 21:36
I think a temporary mod or two is a great idea...
The traffic at these times of the year is much greater then normal and throwing a few more heads at the problem will most certainly make a difference... The only problem would be ensuring that the temps know what to do-but that would only be an issue the first time.

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-10, 04:35
I third Luca's idea. I say bring on all the noobs. The more the noobs the more entertaining it gets in here!

I... agree with quag (shudder)

:D

scratt
2005-01-10, 04:52
Yup! A temporary forum is a good idea...

Or how about a forum that just deletes it's contents each 24 hours!!! ;)

SilentEchoes
2005-01-10, 04:58
We had a temporary forum back in the AI.com days. I really think thats the way to go. A lot of the new guys come to just read certain things and what not, I just say let em go nuts on that forum with duplicate threads and stuff. Some of the new guys dont even know its there unless it has its own thread.

Besides. Its a lot easier to just delete the forum in the end anwyays.

Gargoyle
2005-01-10, 05:24
Ahh yes! I forgot about Temporary Insanity... Perhaps that's the way to go

Paul
2005-01-10, 08:23
well... without a live feed... I don't think there will be as much of a problem...
all the action should be in the AIM room...

do we have an IRC channel yet?

LudwigVan
2005-01-10, 10:09
We could also put sticky topics dealing with each major topic of discussion in there - have a "$500 Mac" thread, a "PowerBook" thread, etc.

This is a great idea regardless of whether of a new "Temporary Insanity"-like forum gets established or not.

Akumulator
2005-01-10, 14:44
This is a great idea regardless of whether of a new "Temporary Insanity"-like forum gets established or not.

I agree. Sticky those bitches.

Also I'd like to request that the word iHome be added to the censor list. :)

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-10, 16:05
It's not too late to create a "MWSF Insanity" thread u'know ;)

C'mon! When the stories are comin' thick and fast, we ain't got time to search for the correct thread to post in!

/excitable

Luca
2005-01-10, 16:36
Well guys, I pitched the idea in the mod forum and actually the guys say that it's not too bad, nothing we can't deal with on our own without creating a temporary forum. Maybe we could sticky some threads but I don't think we'll have to create a whole new forum.

Brad
2005-01-10, 16:42
Nah, no more stickies. Lots of stickies = evil. :)

Really, we haven't had any sort of problem with the Speculation forum since I posted the announcement and sticky threatening the idjits who would spawn a million threads.

So far we really haven't garnered enough of a traffic increase to warrant taking any sort of extreme measures. I mean, heck, just look at the "Most users ever online". We still haven't capped the number of visitors we had since the Apple Expo back in August.

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-10, 18:47
Nah, no more stickies. Lots of stickies = evil. :)

Really, we haven't had any sort of problem with the Speculation forum since I posted the announcement and sticky threatening the idjits who would spawn a million threads.

So far we really haven't garnered enough of a traffic increase to warrant taking any sort of extreme measures. I mean, heck, just look at the "Most users ever online". We still haven't capped the number of visitors we had since the Apple Expo back in August.

:\

IMO the point is not whether or not the mods/admins can handle their house-keeping duties, but whether or not temporary measures would be a good thing here. I think it would be great if there was a specific *temporary* forum where, as the saying goes, the normal rules did not apply.

At a time like MWSF, I think it is a good thing that there is a place where ppl can post frivolous, mis-informed or duplicate threads without having to worry overly about breaking the posting guidelines or annoying regulars (who know that the subject has been covered ad infinitum half way through another thread). It all adds to the excitement etc.

I feel that the :rolleyes: reaction to n00bs, telling them to EFFING SCROLL DOWN AND SEE THAT iHOME HAS BEEN COVERED ALREADY :mad: ;) , or sensitively telling them to Please Die (heh) is a little... cold.

Let em have their fun (and some of us too) in our own little MWSF pen. Puh-lease?

:D

Well, that was my last pitch for a "MWSF Insanity" temp forum. My work here is done.

:smokey:

WBG4
2005-01-10, 22:06
Another idea would be to appoint an extra, temporary mod to help handle the traffic. Though I think the first idea is better. IF you need an assholish one ;) :lol:

Crusader
2005-01-11, 16:58
<Round of Applause>

I would like to say thanks! We had the most users ever (797, more than AppleInsider today by far), remained one of the few sites on the Apple 'net not to go down (or slow down significantly), had AppleNova full, AppleNova1 full, AppleNova2 full, and we even had an AppleNova3 up and running. In addition to this the mods have kept a cool head, and dealt with stupid n00b posts quickly and effectively. Thanks to Brad, LoCash, alcimedes, murbot, and everyone else (Moderators who I forgot, upstanding citizens, dead relatives, ect.) who helped make AN what it is, and kept a cool head today.

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-11, 17:32
*SOS claps* *stands* *claps some more*

"AN RULES!" /fratboy style

HOM
2005-01-11, 17:57
http://homepage.mac.com/hom1/applause.gif

drewprops
2005-01-15, 10:33
I finally noticed enough n00b activity to swing by here to read about what might be done about it and whine just a bit BUT the spirit of fostering new members has swayed me to shutup for a lil' while. If these baby Novans don't settle down and follow mod rules within a month of MWSF you might want to get a little spanky-spanky.

Paul
2005-01-15, 11:22
month? I say at most 5 more days of this crap... it is starting to get a bit ridiculous...
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=154762#post154762
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=154764#post154764
who is this "nerf"(n3rf) fellow? and why do they feel the need to post with 3 or 4 different names?
Someone want to check out the IPs please?

even in the "sanctioned" TS suit thread in Speculation http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=3305 has a bunch of posters with only 2 posts and then never heard from again... wtf? :confused:
some is even creeping over into the thread in GD...
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=3125

I'll echo the title... "STOP THE MADNESS!!" :mad: :eek:

Quagmire
2005-01-15, 11:27
The noobs maybe annoying but, they got this community over 2,000 members. Congrats an for 2,000 members. But, like 1200 don't even post.

Brad
2005-01-15, 12:29
and why do they feel the need to post with 3 or 4 different names?
Someone want to check out the IPs please?
We've checked IPs on several members and, so far, haven't found any need to close accounts.

killa X
2005-01-15, 12:47
I am a noob who has been sucked into this site from the media exposure and I am thankful that I have been exposed to this new information source. Thank you for the lawsiut against nick apple.

Ryan
2005-01-15, 12:52
Maybe we should just remove AN from Google? Its likely that most are finding this site like that, but the duplicate threads in the wrong forum, and then having our forum called stupid for have members who support Apple in the lawsuit or hate ringtones?

I'm tired of it. Even if just until the lawsuit fades away. Even though Google would probably take that long to remove AN from its index.

Brad
2005-01-15, 12:57
It wouldn't be worth it.

The only way to "get out" of Google is by implementing a robots.txt file. Even with that, it would take a full crawl and process cycle (up to as long as a month, as I understand) to be cleared.

We'll be fine, guys. :p

killa X
2005-01-15, 12:57
I know there is a tendency for long time users of a blog to be upset at the overwhelming amount of posts that are recieved when the blog breaks in the print media but I am thankful for being turned on to this site by the NY post and feel like you vets need to chill. I have had my eyes opened by you. Thank you for keeping this blog alive all those years in obscurity. The secret is out. Apple and Thinksecret will never be the same.
heheheh

drewprops
2005-01-15, 13:36
Ummmm, this isn't a Blog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog)... it's a Messageboard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messageboard). :)

killa X
2005-01-15, 13:42
ohhh thanks for the correction whats the difference?

DMBand0026
2005-01-15, 18:08
Blog: Something that some guy writes.

Message Board: This thing. Something that a lot of people post to.

On a blog people can leave their comments and feelings on the blogger's post, here, people just run their friggin mouths.

I'm glad we're getting some exposure. It's better than the month or so after this place opened when it would go a few days without a post.

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-15, 18:49
...It's better than the month or so after this place opened when it would go a few days without a post...

This is a slight exaggeration btw—just so everyone knows ;)

LoCash
2005-01-15, 19:05
by "few days" he means "few hours". What a little messageboard whore ;)

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-15, 19:17
I like there being new people on the boards and everything, but I wish more of them could write coherently, or at least fucking spell! FFS, it gives me a headache *trying* to read some of the non-sequitur drivel that is driving some of the most popular threads...!

Whew...

Ahhh... It's okay, I'm good now.

Paul
2005-01-15, 20:42
NY post :confused: what link in the new york post?
you mean Think Secret or AppleNova itself?

Luca
2005-01-15, 21:04
The New York Post isn't a credible media source anyway.

LoCash
2005-01-15, 21:28
:confused: what link in the new york post?
you mean Think Secret or AppleNova itself?
I doubt AN has been mentioned by name in any major news source, but it's funny how everyone uses our "Contact Us" form to get a hold of Nick. I've received five emails over the past week ranging from CNN soliciting for an interview to John Dvorak offering any assistance Nick may need. I even had an email from some guy from Oklahoma wishing Nick his best.

It's funny that these folks used our contact form and not the one under "Contact us" on the TS website.

Paul
2005-01-15, 21:42
The New York Post isn't a credible media source anyway.
credible or not, they DO have decent circulation...

drewprops
2005-01-16, 00:29
Dvorak is an ass monkey and he was hoping to get a date with Nick after he saw the AP photo.... I kid, I kid. Dvorak is a swell, perfectly adjusted human individual....

DMBand0026
2005-01-19, 12:56
by "few days" he means "few hours". What a little messageboard whore ;)

Days, hours...same difference. All I know is I would surf the forums, leave to go do something for a few hours, come back and hit the forums up again and there would be nothing new. It was sad. :lol: