PDA

View Full Version : Just bought MBP on 5/28, if new MBPs are announced at WWDC what can I do?

Zodiac
2009-06-03, 12:53
I have a feeling I might have been a little hasty on this purchase.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz

The thing is I did not buy this from the apple website or a store, I bought it at staples. I have heard that Apple has a 2 week return policy but I am not sure how this would work considering my purchase was not direct from Apple. Staples also has a 2 week return policy, but I don't know about an upgrade if new MBP's are released. This machine is a very good one, but I'd feel like I wasted good money if this were to become obsolete in less then 2 weeks after purchasing.

psmith2.0
2009-06-03, 13:53
Was just curious...did you forget WWDC was looming, or did you get a "can't pass it up" deal at Staples? Most people, this close to a big event (Macworld, WWDC, a known media event, etc.) tend to hold off on any big purchase to see what happens.

:)

With Staples in the mix (I didn't even know they sold Macs), that return/upgrade thing gets a little confusing. Maybe your best bet is to return it now, get the money back/charged back to your card, etc. and go 5-6 days "without" (but go into WWDC with a clean slate, open credit card, etc.).

:confused:

Then again, the model you got sounds like a fine machine. I'm not sure what any new 15" MacBook Pro would have that would make your model seem so "ugh" all of a sudden. But I do understand about the whole aggravating "I just bought it and then they were updated!" thing, believe me...

:(

Anyone know what the next round of MacBook Pros will have? Any feature/spec that is worth the wait and hassle of returning an already-purchased model?

:confused:

Zodiac
2009-06-03, 13:58
Yeah, I'd better take it back before anything is upgraded as to get a full refund. I actually didn't realize how close a potential update was until after I bought it, 'cause it was an impulse buy.

Wyatt
2009-06-03, 14:05
Be careful, though. You might get hit with a restocking fee. I think Apple's is 15%. I have no idea what it is at Staples, but I'd almost guarantee you they have one for computers.

curiousuburb
2009-06-03, 14:19
Otherwise, your options might include:

Cry
Bitch
Ebay

PB PM
2009-06-03, 16:07
I doubt the MBP will be updated, there aren't any new CPUs read to put in them yet.

Robo
2009-06-03, 16:48
I doubt the MBP will be updated, there aren't any new CPUs read to put in them yet.

Yes there is. (http://gizmodo.com/5275046/intel-t9900-core-2-duo-notebook-processor-breaks-the-3ghz-barrier)

But even if they can't use that yet, they could bump every MBP model up a notch (hell, they could bump the low-end 15-incher up two notches, so it's not the same speed as the MB even if the MB is upgraded too). And maybe they could drop the price of the (currently $300) 2.93 GHz BTO upgrade to make up for the fact that it isn't getting any faster:

13" $1,299 - 2.4 GHz
13" $1,599 - 2.53 GHz
15" $1,999 - 2.66 GHz
15" $2,499 - 2.8 GHz
17" $2,799 - 2.8 GHz
17" $2,999 - 2.93 GHz (BTO'd)

The base MB gets significantly faster (to put it farther ahead of the white MB) and all the other models go up a notch or two. The real upgrades this round? Hard drives (hinted at with the white MB update) and Blu-ray. :cancer:

psmith2.0
2009-06-03, 20:27
Going back to my initial reply here (nobody else has expanded on it)...where in the hell is Staples selling Apple gear?!

I know my local Staples carry nothing of the sort. They don't carry iPods, iPhones, Mac software or anything.

And I went to their website and typed in "MacBook Pro" and all that came back was a "Genius" book about the model, and two third-party replacement batteries. And if you actually go looking through their notebook offerings online, it's just HP, a Compaq and Dell.

Where is this mythical Mac-selling Staples store?!?

:D

It is kinda weird that they'd sell them at their brick-and-mortar joints, but have no mention of them whatsoever (any Mac model) on their website. Usually it's the other way around (Best Buy sold Macs before they started putting them in their retail stores).

Sorry...I was just dying of curiosity! Staples?! I never would've guessed. In fact, I can imagine Macs at Walmart before I could Staples.

Satchmo
2009-06-03, 22:28
I know Staples carried Macs for a brief period (6 months - a year) here in Canada.
I'm not sure if the Staples in the US are anything like they are here. But it was no surprise to see them disappear quickly given the lack of employee knowledge of Macs.

The only positive thing was that Staples policy is to price match competitors and beat it by 10%. So a deal could be had, when BestBuy ran a rare $150 off MacBook sale.

Swox
2009-06-04, 02:21
I just can't imagine "impulse buying" a MBP - that blows my mind!

evan
2009-06-04, 14:20
I just can't imagine "impulse buying" a MBP - that blows my mind!

i sort of can considering I did it too :rolleyes:

For me though it was the end of the semester and I had a few papers/projects coming up that would severely tax my 12" powerbook 1GHz G4 and I was going to get a new laptop this summer anyway so I made the purchase a few months early. Funny how when the possibility of getting a shiny new laptop comes in all thoughts of WWDC and possible imminent product announcements just disappear...

Maciej
2009-06-04, 14:30
Mine was an impulse buy too. When the new unibody MBP came out, I was still on an older G4, so I just went ahead and ordered one that morning. :)

psmith2.0
2009-06-04, 14:55
Glad to say that's not one of my vice/shortcomings...impulse buys.

I usually like to do research out the wazoo (the Internet certainly makes that easy), think it all out/consider all the angles, run the numbers, run them again, consider various "what if?" and worst-case scenarios, sit down and give serious thought to what it is I do and what I need, and am I just wanting something "because it's new and cool", or is the OS and software I'm using taking a hit on features or performance, what I'm going to do with the Mac (or whatever) being replaced, think about any critical accessories or peripherals that may need to be updated and factor all that in as well, take into account Apple's product/update cycles and what's due, what's overdue, etc.

Yeah, I probably overthink my major purchases (Macs, etc.).

But, on the flip-side, I've never been in the above position. I do all my agonizing on the front-end, and then enjoy it all, guilt/worry-free, once I have it (realizing it will get updated/surpassed at some point...but hopefully not next week).

;)

I guess, technically, that little orange aluminum iPod shuffle I got a couple of years ago might've been an impulse buy (I was just so damn happy to see Apple make something orange again, I guess :D ). But I got some nice use from it for a while, and then it went to my best friend, who's a runner and gym monkey and puts it to good use. I'll see it next week when I'm in KC visiting. Might take it to dinner and get some nice pics...

:p

Luca
2009-06-04, 15:06
Otherwise, your options might include:

Cry
Bitch
Ebay

You could add "QQ" to that list too. :p

Robo
2009-06-04, 15:33
Glad to say that's not one of my vice/shortcomings...impulse buys.

I usually like to do research out the wazoo (the Internet certainly makes that easy), think it all out/consider all the angles, run the numbers, run them again, consider various "what if?" and worst-case scenarios, sit down and give serious thought to what it is I do and what I need, and am I just wanting something "because it's new and cool", or is the OS and software I'm using taking a hit on features or performance, what I'm going to do with the Mac (or whatever) being replaced, think about any critical accessories or peripherals that may need to be updated and factor all that in as well, take into account Apple's product/update cycles and what's due, what's overdue, etc.

Yeah, I probably overthink my major purchases (Macs, etc.).

Yeah, totally. My problem is the inability to make an impulse decision, and agonizing over a decision (here) forever. :lol:

I have a weird hangup about spending money on myself, I think. I'll regret buying an overpriced cup of Starbucks at an airport for weeks, but I'll buy an iPod nano for one of my friends totally on impulse. :\

But hey, I've never been caught regretting an Apple purchase or anything (well, there was that one time I bought the iMac G5 with iSight in when it first came out in October and they switched it to Intel in f'ing January but I don't think anybody expected that).

Maciej
2009-06-04, 16:57
I don't mind hijacking this thread very much, because I think we've beat the dead horse already.

I've got to say, I can't stand people agonizing over tiny purchases. Things like buying a t-shirt, or a blouse at the store, deciding between three identical belts, trying to decide which package to get from the store. My mom is one of these people, she's very good about managing her money too, but I wouldn't say she's cheap, or thrifty. She's just always scrutinizing the shit out of every little thing they buy. It's very frustrating when you're the type of person that just wants to "get in there, and get out."

In my post above, I might have use the term "impulse buy" a little hastily. In my position I knew I was buying a new laptop soon, having just graduated, and expecting Apple to update the models. Once they did that, there wasn't much to think about - I'm not one of those folks that steers away from "first gen" items. My policy is that if something goes wrong, it can't be more wrong than all the times I've had to send back my old PowerBook. And Apple is pretty good about making wrongs right.

However, that dreaded feeling of having an item upgraded for the first time, no matter how many months have passed, is certainly saddening.

So although I don't think I do as much research as some of you above, because I realize that shopping for things brings some inherent pleasure with it, spending upwards for $2k on a whim would really feel irresponsible. I think there's a fine line, between wasting all your cash gambling, on drugs, or other frivolous purchases and "squeezing the nickel until the beaver farts" (as our dear Canadian brothers say). Here I try to recognize "I make money so I can spend money," and that feels good.

Swox
2009-06-04, 17:39
"squeezing the nickel until the beaver farts" (as our dear Canadian brothers say).

:lol: I've lived in Canada all of my life (minus some vacations), and I've never once heard that saying. However, I will now start using it. :D

Maciej
2009-06-04, 17:42
:lol: I've lived in Canada all of my life (minus some vacations), and I've never once heard that saying. However, I will now start using it. :D

Glad you like it. My uncle taught it to me, he grew up in Toronto.

Zodiac
2009-06-08, 15:08
Ouch.

Well, I'm gonna take it back. I don't know about a full refund (doubt it) but the wide array of hardware, SD and especially battery life I've been demolished.

psmith2.0
2009-06-08, 15:43
I was gonna say...

Any other time, that would've just been a slight processor and hard drive bump. But hell's bells...they went and really touched on some crucial, noticeable areas! New battery tech, new display, lower price, etc.

I'd take it back too, to be honest.

Zodiac
2009-06-08, 20:05
On second thought.... before I just jumped the boat I changed my mind.

So the expresscard slot has turned out to be a hell of a lot more versatile than I thought upon research, and if I need an SD slot there are adapters. My Processor and storage capacity is up to date with the second best 15" model, my RAM and GPU with the best MBP models still. The battery in the new models may have longer life but but not so much that I wouldn't be better off with swapability in my current MBP.

So basically what I'd be without my baby (how many?) weeks for is a better display. The price isn't really the issue as I've already paid my price in cash at Staples and wouldn't be getting a full refund anyway. Does my display make me wretch? Nope. Case closed.

I'll just take this as a lesson in researching before I buy as I could have saved a few hundred bucks.