PDA

View Full Version : To purchase a new iPhone 3G S...will my old one sell? Any decent value?

psmith2.0
2009-06-09, 11:58
Okay, I've got a serious case of iPhone 3G S lust (yeah, and you would too if you were on my 4GB EDGE-only iPhone).

:)

While I'd intended to "mothball" my original iPhone for historical value and future "hey, look what I have!" bragging rights, I'm kinda taking a more "I don't give a damn...I ain't no historian or curator" view on that in light of yesterday's announcements (and wondering if unloading it would help pay for my new iPhone, either partially or in full).

So now I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea what a two-year-old 4G, first-gen iPhone could reasonably bring in June 2009? I realize anyone on AT&T is going to get a proper 3G model (why wouldn't they?), but I hear about this "jailbreak" market out there, or other types of users who might find something to do with it (people outside the U.S. and so forth).

Any thoughts or ideas?

As always, I have the original box and packing materials from the original purchase two years ago. The phone itself works perfectly, all features and functions...nothing is broken or wonky. The silver back is scuffed a good bit, I won't lie. But probably no more than any other iPhone of that age and use. There are three little "dots" (scratches?) on the upper left of the display, kinda in a straight line (making me think it hit/rubbed the same object...perhaps my keys? Or in one of the two falls it has taken in its life?). However, there are no dents in the body and no cracks in the display. You usually don't even see the dots unless you're working on a white screen (e-mail). But they're quite tiny...

I'm seeing prices on eBay all over the place, so I wasn't sure what one of these might truly bring. I'd like to think it would appeal to someone out there in a certain situation.

:confused:

Naturally, if any fellow 'Novans are interested, please PM me.

I think I put this in the proper forum. If not, a mod can move it for me. I guess it falls under "purchasing advice", right? I'm wanting to purchase a new iPhone, and I need advice on how to unload this one.

:p

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-06-09, 12:09
You could always lurk the classified section at hackint0sh.org (that's a zero in hackint0sh) and see what the going rate is over there. I'd check but I don't want to hit that site on a work computer.

psmith2.0
2009-06-15, 14:12
This thread rocks. Thanks for all the help, guys!

:grumble:

:D

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-06-15, 14:33
So, did you check out the site I gave you?

psmith2.0
2009-06-15, 14:40
Of course. I'm no goon of an ingrate. :)

I just thought there would be lots of opinions and back-and-forth (or maybe even a few *ahem* offers from a fellow 'Novan or two).

I've started a few "go nowhere" threads in my time, but this one takes the cake.

I do appreciate your input, however.

kieran
2009-06-15, 14:44
I unlocked and sold my 5GB EDGE iPhone a while ago. I made some nice money on it, but I don't know what the value of it would be now.

I think it would be better for you to hold on to it for historical value.

Anyone who wanted an unlocked iPhone I would think already has one.

Sorry. haha

Edit: Meant to say 4GB. Way to call me out on that Zippy. haha. I'll leave it in there for you.

zippy
2009-06-15, 14:54
You should have kept yours Kieran, a 5GB iPhone has got to be a one of a kind collector's item!;)

Robo
2009-06-15, 15:23
Pscates: I remember you saying (back in 2007 or so) that you would keep your first iPhone, and not sell it? I don't think it will become a collector's item on the level of the first Macintosh (since the iPhone was made in much greater quantities), but it might be nice to have, like, as a geek keepsake or something. :D

You can use it to win a bar bet, if someone says that there was never a 4GB iPhone, or something. :p

If it were me, I'd keep it. I'm not sure how much a used 4GB non-3G model would bring in, now that a new 8GB iPhone 3G is just $99 on contract (meaning that people can get it for ~$300 by signing up for AT&T and then immediately cancelling). I know, for me, the "want to keep it/have it around" factor would outweigh what I'd get for it - I keep most of my electronics, simply because as a design nerd I like going back and studying them later. But you might be different.

zippy
2009-06-15, 16:32
I unlocked and sold my 5GB EDGE iPhone a while ago. I made some nice money on it, but I don't know what the value of it would be now.

I think it would be better for you to hold on to it for historical value.

Anyone who wanted an unlocked iPhone I would think already has one.

Sorry. haha

Edit: Meant to say 4GB. Way to call me out on that Zippy. haha. I'll leave it in there for you.

I debated the merits of quoting you the first time, just in case you decided to make the change and leave me hanging.

Too late now.:lol:

Maciej
2009-06-15, 17:24
I'd keep it and use it for a paper weight if you're not giving it to someone.

psmith2.0
2009-06-15, 19:07
I'm sure you will. :)

Pscates: I remember you saying (back in 2007 or so) that you would keep your first iPhone, and not sell it? I don't think it will become a collector's item on the level of the first Macintosh (since the iPhone was made in much greater quantities), but it might be nice to have, like, as a geek keepsake or something. :D

You can use it to win a bar bet, if someone says that there was never a 4GB iPhone, or something. :p

If it were me, I'd keep it. I'm not sure how much a used 4GB non-3G model would bring in, now that a new 8GB iPhone 3G is just $99 on contract (meaning that people can get it for ~$300 by signing up for AT&T and then immediately cancelling). I know, for me, the "want to keep it/have it around" factor would outweigh what I'd get for it - I keep most of my electronics, simply because as a design nerd I like going back and studying them later. But you might be different.

Yeah, well I say a lot of things and then wind up "re-thinking" it later on.

But yeah...I suppose a 4GB first-gen model isn't going to hold much appeal, now that someone can get a shiny 3G model for just $99.

Oh well.

Into the closet it shall go, I guess.

But maybe in 10-20 years, it'll be something really neat to show people? So there's that. I'm sure it'll look so huge, blocky and dated (the way we'd look now at a clunky Performa or whatever from the early-mid 90's...

"Ewww...I can't believe we used to fit those big ugly things in our pockets back in 2009!"

:)

Robo
2009-06-15, 20:03
It's funny that you mention it - my first Mac was a Performa 200 (the very first Performa - essentially a rebadged Classic II, from the early '90s.).

I don't think it looks huge or blocky, all things considered. In fact, the "compact Mac" design is still relatively compact - it's probably smaller by volume than many PC towers today, and it included the monitor, too! :eek:

scratt
2009-06-15, 20:05
I was amazed to see 1st gen iPhones still selling for over 26,000 Baht here in Thailand.

That is around $800! They are that sought after here!

Second hand around $600.

If someone wants to recoup money on their 1st gen iPhone look to markets outside the US where the phone companies have not got their act together with decent 3G packages..

Just my 2c.

ghoti
2009-06-15, 20:47
Okay, you guys made me curious. I just watched a 4GB iPhone sell for over $180 on ebay, and there are a few more listings there for $100-$150 (actual bids, not buy now phantasy prices).

Why do people do that? $180 for a 4GB 1st gen is nuts.

scratt
2009-06-15, 20:52
I think ebay is just nuts anyway.

I wanted one of those super expensive Apple adpaters to make your Cinema Display work with a MBP. They are about $99 in the US, and about $130 at the Apple store in Thailand.

I bid on about 20 on ebay over a two week period and all of them sold for close to $90. Once you add in the shipping and everything that's more than a brand new one...

Coupled with the fact that noone in the US will ship to anyone outside the US and it was a pretty big waste of time actually!

torifile
2009-06-15, 21:07
Can the 3G iPhones be unlocked yet? That's probably the big draw if they can't. And some people are just stupid.

scratt
2009-06-15, 21:10
3G phones can be unlocked, but they are much harder to get without a contract.
Especially now that so many countries (including Thailand) have an official carrier with the same sort of restrictive contracts that AT&T / O2 etc. etc. offer.

I think "grey" 3Gs were selling here for close to $1500 when they first came out, because people had to cover the costs in getting them, including contract bail outs etc.

Consequently there is a very very healthy market in the original iPhones which were bought en-masse back along.

For example, for me personally, even though I am an iPhone Developer, the best option I am aware of right now is to fly to the UK and buy a Pay as you Go phone there.... for big bucks.