PDA

View Full Version : Nervewracking!

torifile
2009-06-10, 22:13
Ok, this isn't really thread worthy but I just have to vent/share. As some of you know, I have been working on APA's Division 12 website. It's up and running and tonight I imported the 3000 member list we've got into the database and created accounts for all of them. And sent them all emails. I've never bothered 3000 people at one time before and I'm really nervous about what I've done! :lol: I hope it all works out and I don't inadvertantly blow up someone's (or 3000 someone's) mailbox. Wish me luck!

torifile
2009-06-10, 22:31
So far, I've gotten about 20 out of office replies and 2 "my password won't work" emails. Not sure what that's about. I hope it's just an anomaly. I have no idea how I would reset 3000 passwords securely. :eek:

turtle
2009-06-10, 22:32
:lol:

Wait for all the "Reply to All" comments. :D

torifile
2009-06-10, 22:51

Wait for all the "Reply to All" comments. :D

For some reason, I think the one-time use links that get generated are confusing people. :confused: I hope it's just some people that get confused. I can't manage everyone getting lost when clicking on a link! :lol:

torifile
2009-06-10, 23:03
I got my first flame! I'm not sure what this dude was going on about but:

Why waste my time? Why don't you make sure the thing works easily before you send off an email to invite people to sign in? Jesus, what a fucking jerk. What's worse, you are so proud of yourself you have to put your name up and then put users through this ordeal to contact you. Stop looking in the mirror and get it together.
Apparently, he couldn't be troubled to click on the email address that was in the text of the email and had to go find my personal practice website and email me through the contact form there! Wow.

alcimedes
2009-06-10, 23:15
This just in. Some users are giant dicks. :)

Good luck!

torifile
2009-06-10, 23:16
I replied with this;

Can you explain what the problem is? I'd like to fix it if you're
having issues.

Thanks,
Sammy Banawan

And he replied with:

I am not having issues. Calling a problem an issue doesn't make it go away. I am having problems. I can't log in with the user name and password that you sent me. The site prompts me for APA user name.
He used a bonestamp.com email for the second email. Of course, I've got his real email address both from the database I got emails from and from his first flame to me but whatever... :lol: The dude is clearly having problems.

To poke at him one more time, I sent this:

Your user name is xxxxx. It is case sensitive. You may reset your password if it doesn't work. Please let me know if this resolves your issues.

Thanks,
Sammy
I didn't italicize the word "issues" in the email. I hope he picks it up. :lol:

torifile
2009-06-10, 23:19
Apparently, he is the *owner* of bonestamp.com. :lol: The number down at the bottom of the page is the phone number he included in his second email. And this guy is a clinical psychologist? I feel bad for his patients!

torifile
2009-06-11, 00:20
It's a good thing I rolled this out late at night. Looks like many people are having trouble with the login system. I have no idea why they are, but it's given me the chance to figure out how to help them. I'm sure I won't feel like a jackass forever but I certainly do now!

Mac+
2009-06-11, 04:20
torifile - Usability testing... dry run before going public. Let me help you next time - I'd be happy to return a favour. :)

I'm all about minimising issues. ;)

torifile
2009-06-11, 06:15
torifile - Usability testing... dry run before going public. Let me help you next time - I'd be happy to return a favour. :)

I'm all about minimising issues. ;)
Thanks for the offer but I did a run of 400 student members and nary a peep from them about problems. I think what happened was the import process was interrupted what seemed like twice and the 1500 or members who were "imported" multiple times had their links invalidated. This is just a guess, of course.

torifile
2009-06-14, 21:15
After the initial flurry of problem emails, things have really settled down. I think the vast majority of users have figured out how to log in, etc. and the complaints I've gotten are to be expected with 3000+ users. But some of these emails really are funny:

The hyper-security of all APA sites is infuriating, and is another disservice to all of us. We should be able to choose all our passwords and names and have them nmaintained. This type of grarbage is typical, and when I last complained several years ago wasa told that APA had a new computer manager and all would be repaired. Ho Hum!

As my colleague has said, when things get bad, psychologists form a circle and stab each other in the back.

I had to temper my reply to him because I wanted to say "if you weren't such a reactionary jackass, you would have realized that you are 2 clicks away from changing your username and password." I did say "clearly you didn't explore your options because changing your username and password is easily doable" and I sort of berated him for treating me like an IT lackey when a) I'm a fucking colleague, b) I'm a fucking volunteer. Nevermind the fact that our site has nothing to do with the other APA ones. But of course, he couldn't be troubled to read the president's post about the site... :rolleyes:

Some users really are dicks.

Robo
2009-06-14, 21:35
Aww. :(

But wow...that first flamer seems to have anger management (not to mention computer management) issues. I recommend therapy. ;)

torifile
2009-06-14, 21:50
Aww. :(

But wow...that first flamer seems to have anger management (not to mention computer management) issues. I recommend therapy. ;)
I can take it. :) The last guy already apologized for being a jackass. I'm pretty good at shaming people into things. ;)

scratt
2009-06-14, 23:01
Wow! Psychologists are scary people! ;) :p

Kickaha
2009-06-14, 23:11
You know how it's guys who are always having car problems that become mechanics? ;)

scratt
2009-06-14, 23:19
..or go into a car dealers with a shot gun one day.. ;)

I get the drift! ;)