PDA

View Full Version : ipod touch, now or later?

meepzork
2009-06-12, 11:49
i have an opportunity to get a new ipod touch (8gb) for very cheap, however theres a lot of buzz online that there will be an update to the touch pretty soon. If i wait for the update, I will lose the discount. what do you guys think the "update" will be? would you wait?

PB PM
2009-06-12, 12:09
The buzz is not likely to be true. If it is updated, it would be updated in September along with the rest of the line, just like Apple updates it's iPods at that time every year. The rumors of updates may reflect that idea that iPhone/iPod Touch software will be updated to 3.0 soon.

zippy
2009-06-12, 12:11
I wouldn't expect an update to the iPod Touch until this Fall. September is likely.

Apple has been pretty routine with the timing on their iPod updates the last few years. They use the Summer college student free iPod program to help decrease inventories of existing stock, then they have an iPod centered press event in September to roll out the new models in plenty of time for the holiday shopping season.

edit - PB PM types fasterz!
-and good point about the 3.0 update. Any current iPod Touches will be able to update to the 3.0 software as soon as it's out. But hardware will likely remain the same until September.

Justin
2009-06-12, 12:12
i have an opportunity to get a new ipod touch (8gb) for very cheap, however theres a lot of buzz online that there will be an update to the touch pretty soon. If i wait for the update, I will lose the discount. what do you guys think the "update" will be? would you wait?

My guess is 32GB/64GB, faster CPU and more App RAM like the new iPhone and maybe a GPS. Probably worth the wait if you like to play games on it as I can see new games coming out that only support the 3rd gen iPhone and iPod Touch.

meepzork
2009-06-12, 12:15
oh ok so it wont be a hardware update, just the O/S? I read some articles saying that along with a similar performance boost to what iphone recieved at wwdc, the capacity would be doubled and possibly they would include a built in microphone and possibly a camera...

meepzork
2009-06-12, 12:18
@ Justin:
so it might be hardware then...

well, i can get the current model for "free-ish" right now, or i can wait for the update and try my like for another discount. i know that ill be bummed if i get the current model and then find out theres apps that wont work on it.

would you wait?

meepzork
2009-06-12, 12:23
or......... what is apple's exchange policy on unopened products? Would it be possible to get the freebie now and just do an exchange after they announce the update?

zippy
2009-06-12, 12:26
There's some developers on here that could weigh in a bit more 'educated', but I really don't see too many games or other apps coming that wouldn't work on the current iPod Touch. Scratt even posted a link from a 'larger' developer that suggested they are more excited about Apple and ATT offering the current model for $99. They are more interested in seeing an expanded install base which would allow them to sell more games than they are in making 'wowier'* games for a smaller client base.

I don't know what the source of your discount is, but what prevents you from getting the current model for 'almost free' and then buying a new one when it comes out? You could always sell the one you are getting for near free to recoup some of that cost? Or are you suggesting that could get this discount later on if you don't use it now?

*I just made that word up - you are all free to use it:D

zippy
2009-06-12, 12:29
My guess is 32GB/64GB, faster CPU and more App RAM like the new iPhone and maybe a GPS. Probably worth the wait if you like to play games on it as I can see new games coming out that only support the 3rd gen iPhone and iPod Touch.

These specs may be accurate, but there is nothing to indicate that they would be here before Apple's traditional September roll-out.

Can you offer any evidence that it will be sooner?

meepzork
2009-06-12, 12:35
not a bad idea to just get the current one and if i decide to upgrade later i can sell to buffer the cost. i think ill go with that as it would be a shame to have waited only to find out that the upgrade is nothing special.

thanks

Swox
2009-06-12, 13:04
Not that I know anything about this stuff, but I'm just guessing that most developers aren't going to wan to limit their market by excluding Touches bought within the last year or two, or ever for that matter. It just sounds like bad business to me...

Maciej
2009-06-12, 13:39
I have nothing to add here. But I really hate the moniker "iTouch." It doesn't sound cool, it sounds uniformed and ignorant. I really wanna start a crusade against this. Who's with me?

Carry on.

Justin
2009-06-12, 14:53
@ Justin:
so it might be hardware then...

well, i can get the current model for "free-ish" right now, or i can wait for the update and try my like for another discount. i know that ill be bummed if i get the current model and then find out theres apps that wont work on it.

would you wait?
Well if you get can get a really good price I would just get it and then sell it later if you want to upgrade.

There's some developers on here that could weigh in a bit more 'educated', but I really don't see too many games or other apps coming that wouldn't work on the current iPod Touch. Scratt even posted a link from a 'larger' developer that suggested they are more excited about Apple and ATT offering the current model for $99. They are more interested in seeing an expanded install base which would allow them to sell more games than they are in making 'wowier'* games for a smaller client base.

Yeah, I would agree with this to a point, but I don't see it any different than companies that make a game for the PS2 and then make a new version for the PS3. They still make money on people buying the PS2 version as well as have a nice flashy graphics game that sells on the PS3. Eventually people will upgrade and demand the better quality game.

These specs may be accurate, but there is nothing to indicate that they would be here before Apple's traditional September roll-out.

Can you offer any evidence that it will be sooner?

I'm just going on what seems realistic, I have no inside information. I also didn't mean to insinuate that I think they are coming sooner, I just was giving an idea of what we could see in the next version. I agree with others here that we will see it in the September-October time frame.

Robo
2009-06-12, 15:00
I have nothing to add here. But I really hate the moniker "iTouch." It doesn't sound cool, it sounds uniformed and ignorant. I really wanna start a crusade against this. Who's with me?

Me! I vote that we (meaning Brad ;)) add an autocorrect for "iTouch," just like we have for M $. :D

Justin
2009-06-12, 15:43
On the whole requiring iPhone 3G S or 3rd gen iPod Touch for certain apps...
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/11/iphone-3g-developers-splitting-platform/