PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Release?

RC23
2005-01-11, 15:21
I didn't get a chance to see MWSF, im just curious if they mentioned a release date for Tiger?

mooty
2005-01-11, 15:23
I didn't get a chance to see MWSF, im just curious if they mentioned a release date for Tiger?

not a word.... 1st half of 2005....

NeverFade
2005-01-11, 18:48
Long before longhorn.... that could mean anything! :)

Moogs
2005-01-11, 19:13
Doesn't look like anything new was demoed, other than the new addition to Dashboard where the dock lifts up to reveal stowed Dashboard widgets you can activate or deactivate. Very cool. Core Image also looks to have a bunch more filters added to its repertoire, although my memory might just suck and nothing is new there.

Looks like we know what the "150 new features" are at this point. No new surprises but that's OK. Core Image, Quartz2DExtweem and the underlying technologies are what will make this release kick major ass. Spotlight will be nice too as long as it doesn't suck system resources to the point of slowing other things down while it indexes.

CoreMac
2005-01-16, 10:54
It's now over 200 features. I'm wondering if Quicktime is the hold up.

jccbin
2005-01-17, 09:46
I'm voting for April 5, 2005. Wink, wink, nod, nod.

checksum
2005-01-17, 19:28
Concurrently with Power5-derived highend workstations.

IonYz
2005-01-17, 22:28
Perhaps with the supplied video card list removed, they are also taking this time to tweak newer Core technologies to work with the Mini. At least to some degree.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm not fanning the flames of new comers asking "Why doesn't Tiger work with the Mini?" But it would be nice to have the 9200 support in their maybe? A 32MB GPU will support QE, nowhere near as well as a 128MB GPU, but its not offloading it onto the CPU either. Since low-power computers have these 9200s it would be best to keep those processors doing real work right? Who cares if your Dual 6 GHz Power Mac can do it. ;)

Anyway as I've stated before, Tiger should be done when its done. No rush, cause frankly there is no hurry.

RC23
2005-01-18, 13:45
Hmm.. i've been hearing...

sooo, Tiger will only run on G5's? Or will it run on the powerbook i might be getting?
(G4)

iRobot
2005-01-18, 13:49
Tiger will run on G5s, G4s, and probably even G3s.

However, certain elements of core image (and probably other elements) may not be available to users with an insufficent graphics card/out of date processor.

oldmacfan
2005-01-18, 13:49

sooo, Tiger will only run on G5's? Or will it run on the powerbook i might be getting?
(G4)

Tiger will run on older systems as well, how well? has yet to be determined. Also it will be shipped on DVD.

del-uks
2005-01-24, 16:08
Today, from MacBidouille:

Microsoft's reply to Apple? - Lionel - 21:36:09

During the Keynote, Steve Jobs didn't miss the opportunity to tease Microsoft when anouncing that Tiger would be released long before Longhorn.
Maybe in an attempt to prevent MacOS to be left alone in the fields, Microsoft has just anounced that a 64 bits version of Windows XP will be released in April.
Thus, if Apple doesn't want Microsoft to steal its thunder, Tiger (which also supports 64 bits) will have to be released in March.

[translation by msd13]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

...stay tuned for more happy days...

Franz Josef
2005-01-24, 16:14
In many respects Panther is better than Longhorn. Bear in mind that Longhorn was for the most part written before MS decided security was a priority. Whatever the view on this or that aspect of Tiger, I think we can assume it's going to be one of the best OS's ever written.

Brad
2005-01-24, 16:20
You need to get your ears checked. :)

Not only would it be phenomenally stupid to lock out G3 and G4 users (killing sales and support to millions of users), it would also mark a dramatic change in Apple's programming philosophy. Each major revision of Mac OS X so far has gotten faster on the same hardware while still introducing new features, throttling back features like Quartz Extreme if the hardware won't support it.

blissed
2005-01-24, 19:24
Any thoughts on when it will finally be released? I've heard end of March, June, August... What's it cost to upgrade?

ixocean
2005-01-24, 19:43
:confused: :confused: :confused:

...stay tuned for more happy days...

What would a 64bit XP get you? More spyware, and faster? :lol:

Franz Josef
2005-01-25, 01:47

Drives you over the edge quicker, crashes better.

MacDude15
2005-01-25, 19:44
Tiger is UNDER RATED. Widgets ROCK

holbox
2005-01-25, 22:55
Any thoughts on when it will finally be released? I've heard end of March, June, August... What's it cost to upgrade?

Amazon.com is taking orders on TIGER at $129.95. Will ship it when it comes in! :)

TednDi
2005-01-26, 13:09

a 64 bit virus

:lol:

Xeno
2005-01-31, 15:16
The MWSF keynote demonstration of Tiger was amazingly unstable compared to previous releases. While this is probably a sign of Tiger just entering what is effectively beta stage, it's possible that Apple could just be trying to throw us off given Apple legal's recent litigious field day. :\

On the other hand there are a lot of past and upcoming events that may hint to a Tiger release.

* All release of Mac OS X have been on a 24th or 25th (Not an actual factor, but just something to note).

* The release of 64-bit Windows XP in April (Microsoft tried to overshadow the release of Mac OS X with the launch of XP)

* NAB in April

* Jobs probably will not launch Tiger at WWDC as a few weeks are initially between the press release of it's release date and it's actual launch.

I suspect, that Tiger will probably be launched in April, if not, I suspect Apple's showing at NAB may provide significantly greater insight into its development.

Also, the price has been slated to remain stable, though one hopes that Apple does not go and revise it because of "harder to implement than first thought" comments. :rolleyes:

Brad
2005-01-31, 15:34
The MWSF keynote demonstration of Tiger was amazingly unstable compared to previous releases.Huh? It stalled only once during the demonstration, as I recall. The problems after Jobs switched to a different machine were because it had a virgin install and applications hadn't been opened yet.

Xeno
2005-01-31, 15:47
Huh? It stalled only once during the demonstration, as I recall. The problems after Jobs switched to a different machine were because it had a virgin install and applications hadn't been opened yet.It didn't really stall, he just couldn't get out of that mode. I'm sure a force quit or something might have fixed it, but the system itself did not crash. However, the slideshow mode in Mail did not add the photos to iPhoto, Spotlight didn't get a document he wanted, etc. There were a few bugs that came up that illustrated a lack of stability in the new features.

Brad
2005-01-31, 15:50
the slideshow mode in Mail did not add the photos to iPhoto I don't feel like pulling up the stream again, but I'm pretty sure this was because of the "you've never opened this application" type dialog because it was a virgin install.

Gregg
2005-01-31, 15:50
It was in "XP" mode!

del-uks
2005-01-31, 15:51
Tiger will be ready at WWDC.
So, we'll have to wait until june... but I'm sure it will bug-proof by then.

BuonRotto
2005-01-31, 16:06
Jobs did get that first-run dialog a few times as I recall, but I don't know if that's what Xeo was referring to. It was actually kind of fun to see Jobs slightly peeved at the added security measure, and to watch him handle it rather humorously.

I do remember that he couldn't find some document he was expecting in his Spotlight results. It was a really obvious find IIRC, but he never fond it and went along with something else I think. Hard to say if it was a problem with Spotlight or that the thing just wasn't on the machine.

TednDi
2005-02-01, 10:16
Jobs also said that the iWork pages templates are in greek. They are in Latin.

That is RDF for ya!

Brad
2005-02-01, 10:47
Unless I'm mistaken (because I haven't seen them in person), the templates are probably in Lorem Ipsum, a fake Latin-like language invented by typesetters.

nomorewindows
2005-02-01, 11:17

That is RDF for ya!

I think he must have said "geek" not Greek. Brad is right--Lorem Ipsum.

I'm happy with iWorks, but as someone pointed out earlier, it certainly could have included more art. I can always get my own, but I'm lazy and into instant gratification. What can I say... ;)

Waiting impatiently for Tiger!

Xeno
2005-02-01, 11:24
Unless I'm mistaken (because I haven't seen them in person), the templates are probably in Lorem Ipsum, a fake Latin-like language invented by typesetters.Yes and no, it is semi-authentic Latin.

Lorem is not a word, it is a part of a word. The beginning of most typefaces is, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing." The text is actually copied from Cicero's De finibus bonorum et malorum, "On the ends of the good and the evil." The original passage began: Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit ("Nobody likes pain for its own sake, or looks for it and wants to have it, just because it is pain...").

But it is for the most part, utter nonsense.

Meijin
2005-02-01, 13:58

That is RDF for ya!

What Jobs probably meant was that the templates were "greeked" -- a common term to describe text that is flowed in just to give a feel of what the design would look like with text in. (Since copy usually is revised until the last second, or later.) Lorem ipsum happens to look latiny... but when people refer to "greek" copy, they're meaning greek in the "it's greek to me" sense more than gamma rho epsilon epsilon kappa.

So, uh, there's the obvious fact for the day. Just had to toss in a clarification. (Sorry!)

NeverFade
2005-02-01, 14:14
Yes - when you enter Greek text into a documnet, it is used as a placeholder.

such as:

Dear Ma'am,

sdfsdfasdfasdfasdf
asdfasdfasd
asdfsdfasdfasdf
asdfasdfasdfdsf

That's greek.

NeverFade
2005-02-01, 14:28
So, I was hoping Tiger would be out in the first quarter... at the latest by March.

That doesn't seem to be the majority, though, around here. Oh well.

What I am waiting for:

10.4 Tiger - March, April

Doom III - Mid Feb

The Sims 2 - May

Then I might be happy! Of course by then, there will be other things coming out and I'll be back in line again! :)

Xeno
2005-02-01, 19:07
I think what we saw at MWSF was a stabilization of the features in Tiger. With the PDF documents that were released with the update of the Mac OS X section of Apple.com, I think we can see that the most recent developer seed is effectively the end of any major modifications to 10.4, and that we are looking at Tiger in beta.

Now, how fast Apple actually does beta testing is speculation at this point. From what I can tell, people don't see Tiger being released until WWDC. Of course, in 2002, WWDC was in May. So, YMMV.

Paul
2005-02-02, 02:43
Around christmas I received a $10 coupon from Apple to spend in their retail stores as a reward for completing a survey they sent to me. The coupon has an expiration date of 3/24/05 IIRC that is four years to the day of when 10.0 came out. I OmniGraffled the coupon (to get rid of the code ;) ) and upped it to my iDisk:
http://homepage.mac.com/psantora/.Public/tiger.png
Is this a possible clue? Or is it just the standard 90 days to use the coupon? I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to post either way. This IS Speculation and Rumors eh? Pay no mind to the shitty design... I haven't used OG in a while. ;)

Paranoid666au
2005-02-02, 06:33
I got a $99AUS iPod with my powerbook a month before the next powerbook update.

So maybey you got screwd some how and this is Apples way of apolagising :)

TednDi
2005-02-02, 07:36
Greek? not as my grandmother spoke it.

oxi den enai!

As for Tiger Release?

den xero

yia sas!

Paranoid666au
2005-02-02, 07:43
What I mean to say is.

Tiger will be released after your discount expiers, this difined as screwed. But the discount is for the fact that you will be screwed.

Man, temperoral mechanics is realy hard to get ones head around :)

BlueRabbit
2005-02-02, 17:39
I OmniGraffled the coupon...
"Verbing nouns weirds language"

-Calvin and Hobbes ;)

BTW, I think you might be right. It was pretty easy to get the coupon IIRC, so a lot of people probably have/had one.

Moogs
2005-02-03, 01:25
I'm starting to believe end of March. At Amazon I found at least two major book releases (one by David Pogue) slated for avilability around March 25 as I recall. No point in a publishing a book that early if Tiger's not coming out for another 2-3 months. What's more I've never seen one of those Amazon dates for a computer book be off by more than about 10 days, so they're pretty reliable.

iasky
2005-02-04, 12:33
I don't know if this adds any light to the release date, but my somewhat large government agency that has a lot of Apple users, has a 2 hour introduction to Tiger hosted by Apple on the 23rd of Februrary.

Xeno
2005-02-04, 13:04
I don't know if this adds any light to the release date, but my somewhat large government agency that has a lot of Apple users, has a 2 hour introduction to Tiger hosted by Apple on the 23rd of Februrary.Hmm...sounds vaguely like the Tiger Tech Talks late last year.

There certainly is a lot of circumstantial evidence pointing to a March release. I seriously doubt Tiger will be launched at WWDC, more than anything Jobs is a showman, and he undoubtedly will get some developers on the stage to show off their integration with Tiger technologies

oldmacfan
2005-02-04, 13:29
What worries me is that if Mac sales are very strong it financially benifits Apple to hold back on the release of Tiger so that there are more people to pay the price to upgrade.

Baron Munchausen
2005-02-09, 13:43
Bear in mind that Longhorn was for the most part written before MS decided security was a priority.

What, you mean before the day before yesterday?

Franz Josef
2005-02-09, 14:07
What, you mean before the day before yesterday?

Microsoft to buy antivirus software firm
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+buy+antivirus+software+firm/2100-7350_3-5567529.html?part=rss&tag=5567529&subj=news.7350.5

If you're feeling cynical, this is even better - MS to buy Sybari, the anti-virus guys. It's makes comemrcial sense - Windows / IE / Outlook encouraging virus writers, Sybari providing the solution. perfectly complementary.

On a good day I don't like MS and I like to think that's just an honest and rational approach to their porducts. On a bad day, this looks like a grand plan working out to a tee - maybe Bill Gates is smarter than all of us, not just a bloke who struck it lucky one day with Intel and IBM.

Because MS have been getting more abuse than ever before in the last 12 months over poor security, I'm been feeling that justice is coming and Apple are on the up. The success of iPod and the tremendous brand strength overall give me cause for hope. Other days :no: I think it's a false dawn.

I need to get out more.

dfiler
2005-02-09, 14:20
EDIT: Explanation of greeking deleted.

Now I see this thread is two pages long and this horse is already way past dead. ;)

intlplby
2005-02-10, 15:09
well the definition of greeking given by meijen is actually wrong.... it is not the "Lorem Ipsum Dolor" text....... That is called "placeholder text".... it just happens to be the most common used placeholder text and the default in most programs

greeking is what is done to text when the text gets too small to be displayed.... for example let's say that the text is legible as size 5pt or 6pt, but when you set it to 3pt or 4pt you no longer see characters but instead a greyed out xxxxxx type pattern or just greyed bars for each line of text.... this is especially common when you zoom really far out in desktop publishing applications such as InDesign or QuarkXpress

dfiler
2005-02-10, 15:19
*sigh* why'd I delete my blurb on greeking.

Sure... greeking means that to some people. It is very commonly used to refer to place holder text.

Claiming that everyone uses the word incorrectly... won't get you very far in the design and publishing industries. ;)

(Almost no word usage in english, and especially in americansese, is 'correct' anymore.)

Brad
2005-02-10, 15:28
What worries me is that if Mac sales are very strong it financially benifits Apple to hold back on the release of Tiger so that there are more people to pay the price to upgrade.
Apple released 10.3 very shortly after the new G5 towers were introduced. I don't think this is really a factor in delaying or expediting releases of other products.

intlplby
2005-02-10, 18:34
i'm actually in the fashion design area..... graphic design and type design are more hobbies than anything....

just because everyone uses it doesn't mean it is correct. honestly, have you seen what message boards and chat rooms have done to the spelling and grammar abilities of thousands to millions of americans.

heck, i rarely bother capitalize letters or use correct punctuation a lot of the time (like, how about right now in this post)

so many people see words repeatedly mispelled that they start mispelling that word as well and only reinforce language change.

scottdc02
2005-02-10, 23:00
I'm thinking about buying the iMac G5 (my first mac). However, I'm wondering if there are any reasons I should wait until Tiger is released before buying (other than having to pay an extra 129$ to buy Tiger when i comes out) Could use any advise...looking forward to trashing my PC for a Mac!

zman2005
2005-02-15, 21:17
I am thinking sooner then later.....there wouldn't be so much HYPE if it wasn't soon. Just thinking

Robo
2005-02-15, 21:53
I'm thinking sooner, too (hopefully by April's end) but I could be wrong.

del-uks
2005-02-16, 01:57
They try to make it ready at WWDC : http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/index.html

"With its unique integration of breakthrough technologies, open standards, and robust development tools, Mac*OS*X Tiger is the platform for unparalleled developer innovation. At the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2005, June 6-10 in San Francisco, you'll get the in-depth knowledge, hands-on instruction and one-on-one support you need to deliver products and solutions that transform the way your users work, play, search, and share on a Mac." :p

del-uks
2005-02-16, 05:17
scottdc02 wrote:
I'm thinking about buying the iMac G5 (my first mac). However, I'm wondering if there are any reasons I should wait until Tiger is released before buying (other than having to pay an extra 129$ to buy Tiger when i comes out) Could use any advise...looking forward to trashing my PC for a Mac!

I can assure you that as you as you'll get your iMac, you'll find many reasons not to pay any extra $129 for Tiger when it comes out... ;) :D :smokey:

So go ahead, have fun with your iMac (20" if you can afford it), and welcome to the wonderful World of Mac!

del-uks
2005-02-16, 18:46
...then... http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/02/20050216182007.shtml

zman2005
2005-02-16, 22:00
Whoa Whoa Whoa, the new article on THINKSECRET says that there is a SMALL chance that Tiger will be released w/final cut pro 5.0. Then it said that it propaply won't happen and that Final Cut Pro won't ship for about two months until tiger is ready since it only works on tiger. In addition, they said Final Cut would be announced Mid-April at the NAB conference. SOOO what I inferred from that was MAYBE tiger will be announced Mid-APril but propaply won't be until two months AFTERwards. Like the article said. What ahppened to the march idea that was floating around. From the article looks like JUNEish

Gizzer
2005-02-18, 07:51
I just searched Amazon for OS X 10.4 books and got a couple of varying results: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger : Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides) says August on the US site but May on the UK site.

Most books about new products tend to come out a couple of months after the software release, so if you believe Amazon UK that could mean a March release.

Stretching the rumour even further is the fact that Amazon US actually listed Tiger on their website as March 2005, but were asked to pull it by Apple....

Even more fuel to the fire is this article:
Apples Vanishing Tiger Packaging (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10875&Page=1&pagePos=19)

Carlos Net
2005-02-18, 12:13
And in case anyone was interested in the Lorem Ipsum...

This site (http://www.lipsum.com) pretty much covers it.

Mac^3
2005-02-19, 05:21
I work at a large book store in the U.S. . I have looked up books that deal with "Tiger" and i find that we should be receiving them in early March. I really hope his is true, Ill finally purchase my 17"Pb then.

seashellz2
2005-02-19, 18:01
It seems that APPLE *may* have inadvertantly given it away-we find that FINAL CUT PRO 5 *REQUIRES* both 10.4 *AND* QUICKTIME 7 to operate at all.

Since FCP5 is being released in mid April-or even at the end-would it make sense to sell a product that could not be used for a few weeks to a few months away?

Adding to this is that Bill Gates is set to announce- with a big splash, WINDOZE XP 64-bit edition in mid-late April;

It would make no sense for Steve to led Bill steal Macs Thunder like that, and get all the publicity, while the later OS would get 'also-ran' status in the media.

I say an announcement of TIGER at start of April, and release by 22 or 29 April......imho

But maybe im just suffering red-state logic...

BJNY
2005-02-19, 21:45
Apple typically updates FCP at NAB. In the past, it sometimes took a couple of months for the software to actually start shipping. I think this was the case for FCPv4 and DVDSP.

Dave Hagan
2005-02-19, 22:54
You sir are correct. But Apple does what it wants when it wants. So they could announce FCP5 at NAB, and say available with Tiger on "X" date, not necessarily released at the NAB expo in Las Vegas.

MCQ
2005-02-20, 11:08
This could have just been added to the currently existing Tiger release discussion.
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=3267

Jay
2005-02-20, 11:13
I doubt it really means anything, look at Xsans and Motion from last year. Motion didn't ship until August and Xsans only started shipping 2 months ago. It might increase the odds a bit but Jobs is probably the only one with an idea of when it's going to be released.

Probably the bet thing to go by is the release of Windows. It would be nice to beat M$ but I don't think it's critical, 10.4 is a lot more than just 64 bit support. I rather wait until it's good and ready than fast and buggy.

Brad
2005-02-20, 16:41
This could have just been added to the currently existing Tiger release discussion.
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=3267
Agreed. Merged!

Moogs
2005-02-25, 11:20
[edit - sorry... biffed on that one. Amazon pulled the dates in one area and left them in another (down the page under the details), though if memory serves some of the dates have changed. The one book I found that had a March date was the O'Reilly pocket guide (3-30) but I didn't search for every title.]

Messiahtosh
2005-02-25, 11:34
It's probably going to be available in May. We can wait 2 months! ;)

Moogs
2005-02-25, 11:38
Yep. It'll be wort the wait I'm sure. Maybe part of the rationale for publishers releasing the books a little early is to give early adopters a way to familiarize themselves with the system before they get it. So taking the NAB stuff into consideration we may still be looking at May/June.

I'm anxious to go nutty with the Spotlight and dashboard features. Clear my drive of all these little menubar widgets and such.

ja0912
2005-02-25, 11:52
How could the publishers have finished books already? Tiger isn't even finished, and it sounds like little things are still changing.

Messiahtosh
2005-02-25, 12:27
Yep. It'll be wort the wait I'm sure. Maybe part of the rationale for publishers releasing the books a little early is to give early adopters a way to familiarize themselves with the system before they get it. So taking the NAB stuff into consideration we may still be looking at May/June.

I'm anxious to go nutty with the Spotlight and dashboard features. Clear my drive of all these little menubar widgets and such.Well, you know it would seem to make sense for Apple to publicly release Tiger before WWDC. That way, once WWDC starts, Tiger is already out there and the buzz has been built about it. It would make WWDC a prime time to debut some new PowerBooks.

Nico_from_Paris
2005-02-25, 16:06
i have received an email from Apple today, an ad actually, asking me to register in advance forthe trip to SF (I am in France, funny , isn't it seeing my name) for WWDC to save money.

It says "come to WWDC and you will learn how to use the power tools of Tiger", or "work with Apple specialists to implement the latest Tiger technology" ....

I then do agree with an April or May pre-WWDC release of Tiger

zman2005
2005-02-25, 20:43
yea, just read some stuff on APPLE.com and it HAS to come out before June 6. Or else the show would be worthless cause the whole theme is learning how to use tiger. If it wasn't released it woul dhave to right afterwards while the HYPE was still hot. So look for a Mid-May release!

BlueRabbit
2005-02-26, 03:21
yea, just read some stuff on APPLE.com and it HAS to come out before June 6. Or else the show would be worthless cause the whole theme is learning how to use tiger. If it wasn't released it woul dhave to right afterwards while the HYPE was still hot. So look for a Mid-May release!
Either that, or they could announce the shipping date then, like Steve did with iWork and the Mac mini at MWSF. They'd have a finished product to show everyone, and would still meet their deadline. Plus, that seems like a really fun way to start off the keynote – have Steve say that Tiger is shipping. June 6 is a bit on the late side, though. :\

frizz
2005-03-07, 18:12
I am going to have to say latee march or early April. I think April 1st because that is their 29th aniversary. And that would give time to update Jaguire to 10.3.9. They have also but a new downtaods on their webpage for widgets, dashboare, and spotlight. I have seen the pre releases, and they look ready.

Moogs
2005-03-07, 18:51
When you say "looks ready" do you mean you actually got to use a recent (as in last couple weeks) build, or do you just mean that you watched someone demo it and it didn't crash during that time? If the former I'd be interested to know how hard you pushed it, if the latter it doesn't mean much.

I'm guessing you're not under NDA by your comments so I thought I'd ask. I am pretty sure if they released it tomorrow it would still be pretty buggy by GM standards. There are usually a fair number of minor glitches and one or two big ones until about the 10.x.3

Moogs
2005-03-07, 18:54
Someone just lost their ASW account.... :)

PS - if someone could export it to PPT or PDF, that would be useful.

frizz
2005-03-07, 19:46
It was just a demo. Looked pretty good. im hoping it will come out in a few weeks.

Unbeliever
2005-03-07, 20:02
*SNIP*And that would give time to update Jaguire to 10.3.9. *SNIP*

@ Moogs - i doubt that anyone who says that ^ is under NDA by Apple :|
Even i know that PANTHER is 10.3, not Jag :p

EDIT: Plus he spelled Jaguar wrong :err:

Moogs
2005-03-07, 20:39
i doubt that anyone who says that ^ is under NDA by Apple

Fear not; I realize this isn't someone with inside knowledge (hence my NDA comment). I pretty much read the first sentence, instinctively skipped to the last and then asked my question. Didn't even catch the typo. Always best to put these new people to the test early. :D ;)

zman2005
2005-03-07, 21:13
will tiger undoubtingly have some bugs when released no matter what?

torifile
2005-03-07, 21:15
will tiger undoubtingly have some bugs when released no matter what?
It's on target to be the first bug-free release of ANY software. 100.0000001% guaranteed.

zman2005
2005-03-07, 21:16
Says who? I didn't even think that was possible? wouldn't that take YEARS of testing

torifile
2005-03-07, 21:21
Says who? I didn't even think that was possible? wouldn't that take YEARS of testing
Apple's THAT good.

zman2005
2005-03-07, 21:23
i guess thats why I am making the switch....YES :lol:

torifile
2005-03-07, 21:27
zman, I was just kidding. Of course it won't be bug-free. No software is. :)

Moogs
2005-03-08, 00:00
I think every major 10.x.0 release has had at least two or three bad bugs straight out of the retail box that they didn't catch prior. That's just the nature of the beast. With Panther it was a major problem with File Vault, Firewire drive incompatibility, and Multi-user switching as I recall. With Jaguar I think there was some sort of problem with the system recognizing other machines on the same LAN / mounting volumes on those machines.

There's always something. The reason you switch is that with a new MS system, there's always somethingx10. :D

sCreeD
2005-03-11, 15:49
Tax Day (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0503tiger.html)

Screed

zman2005
2005-03-11, 16:45
Yes finally here, so if i order a Powerbook on april 1 it will be shipped with TIGER

FFL
2005-03-11, 17:27
Yes finally here, so if i order a Powerbook on april 1 it will be shipped with TIGERThat's not what the article says... but I believe you'd qualify for the $19.95 upgrade CD with an April 1 purchase.

Wraven
2005-03-11, 17:32
So can this thread please die? I am tired of seeing it. ;)

alschmid
2005-03-11, 17:35
Tax Day (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0503tiger.html)

Screed

the article says "The event, sources say, is currently scheduled for Friday, April 1 and will be delivered via satellite to numerous locations around the world." Am I the only one the date of April 1 strikes as odd? April fools? I hope not. :)

Wraven
2005-03-11, 17:38
Hah - that is funny alschmid.

Brad
2005-03-11, 18:01
Am I the only one the date of April 1 strikes as odd? April fools?
Something to keep in mind that April 1st is the day Apple Computer was founded.

alschmid
2005-03-11, 18:07
alright, I'm an ignorant - didn't know that... :o

Moogs
2005-03-11, 18:19
April 1 announcement with shipment a couple weeks later? Tax day indeed. Looks like this could be Nick's last hurrah since Apple won its suit today apparently. Or it could be an intentional bogus leak by the powers that be to find the moles hidden deep within the infinite loop. :D

Either way I am MONDO-psyched.

Bryson
2005-03-11, 19:07
I have to say that April 1st date looks highly suspect to me. April...1st....hmmmm.

NaMo4184
2005-03-11, 19:12
my birth day is april first... God has played a cruel joke on me!

Moogs
2005-03-11, 20:09
Bryson,

Hopefully Nick doesn't play April Fools jokes on people two weeks ahead of time. :) You're right though in general it's a suspect date. Now that I think of it OS X is almost always introd on a Saturday so April 2 or 9th might make more sense.

Brad
2005-03-12, 00:20
I have to say that April 1st date looks highly suspect to me. April...1st....hmmmm.

*points up*

"Something to keep in mind that April 1st is the day Apple Computer was founded."

Also, I'm splitting a couple posts out of this thread. Please, keep the lawsuit discussions in this thread: Ruling Made in Apple vs. Think Secret Case (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=4679)

Moogs
2005-03-12, 00:21
Sorry Brad... I was actually just coming back in to get the thread back on track (Tiger).

2005-03-12, 14:31
Well, last month Nick reported (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0502fcp5.html) that FCP 5 would debut at NAB, which starts on the 16th. So these release/shipping dates make a lot of sense in that respect.

Moogs
2005-03-12, 16:18
Very true this is. I hope NABB sees updates for all the video-related apps.

I've been waiting to get my hands on Motion along with the rest of teh suite, once it reaches 1.5 / 2.0 status and DVD Studio Pro is updated.

Noel
2005-03-13, 00:13
If Nick wanted to pull an April Fools' prank, I think he could have used the almost absolute faith some place in TS' reports to his advantaage and announced PB G5's or something, rather than a Tiger release 2-months before many were expecting it. It seems too dull to be an April Fools' prank, given what that site could do with its credibility.

melgross@usa.net
2005-03-13, 02:30
Can this date be real? As far as I can tell there are a lot more bugs, and all of the features aren't completed as yet.

This would leave just three weeks for it to be completed, the disks stamped, boxed with whatever papers (manual?) it will come with, and shrink wrapped.

A week to get to the stores and we have the 15th.

I don't know. It just doesn't seem possible.

What would the point be anyway? It might look somewhat better for the bottom lime for the quarter, but would make the next one look worse than it would have.

With everyone expecting it to come out in early June, at the conference, that would be the best time for the release. It would give them more time to fix bugs.

We don't need another nine or more updates.

I would rather see it later and more polished than two months early and buggy.

FireDancer
2005-03-13, 07:47
Can this date be real? As far as I can tell there are a lot more bugs, and all of the features aren't completed as yet.

I'm a little suspect of the date as well :confused: I've used some Tiger builds from 2-3 months ago and they looked far from finished. The problem is no one really knows the workings behind how Apple seeds......is the latest developer seed truly the lastest internal Apple seed??

Tiger is also being billed as the most signficant update to the MacOS since 10.0 yet the time line for Tiger (if the April ship date is true) seems much faster than it is was for Panther.

But times are much different at Apple now than they were even when Panther was released....who knows what the R&D budget and reasorces are for Tiger compare to any of the previous OS X releases??

Moogs
2005-03-13, 14:00
The problem is no one really knows the workings behind how Apple seeds......is the latest developer seed truly the lastest internal Apple seed??

No. Almost never is (with any release).

Xeno
2005-03-13, 16:59
To throw a little more spice into the mix. http://apple.com/macosx/dashboard is a dead-end redirect to dashboard.apple.com.

Hmm...;)

FireDancer
2005-03-13, 18:22
To throw a little more spice into the mix. http://apple.com/macosx/dashboard is a dead-end redirect to dashboard.apple.com.

I don't get a redirect...it asks me for a name and password to enter a restricted area.

Moogs
2005-03-13, 19:40
Yep, same here...

baaron
2005-03-13, 21:11
Hmm... Not for me.

I just get the standard "This page cannot be displayed" error.

Xeno
2005-03-13, 21:21
With the suspect status of Tiger's development status aside. A lot of things seem to be asserting an imminent release of Tiger including:

* Behind-the-scenes updating of Apple.com
* Applications released at NAB undoubtedly requiring Quicktime 7.

In addition there are also some extraneous items that would certainly be "nice" to have coincide with the launch.

* Trumping April release of Windows XP 64-bit.
* 29th anniversary of Apple Computer's founding (announcement date according to Think Secret).
* Jobs' ability to tout the success of Tiger at WWDC (or maybe even NAB).

However, I think that Tiger's publicly available (or leaked seed information) probably is an unreliable measure of Tiger's success. While I'm sure that Apple wants to assure developers that their money is being paid to keep themselves up-to-date with Tiger's development and their abilities to launch a Tiger version, ASAP, I feel that the recent round of legal attacks probably has caused Apple to find ways to guard their current state of affairs a bit more closely. In addition, "major" bugs can be fairly stupid and trivial errors.

Moogs
2005-03-13, 23:08
XP 64 bit... what a fekking joke.

Xeno
2005-03-13, 23:18
XP 64 bit... what a fekking joke.What exactly does Windows XP 64-bit add besides the obvious? It would seem better to be a service pack than an individual release...

baaron
2005-03-13, 23:46
I dunno.

All the rumor sites have repeatedly went out in the open and boldly stated that QuickTime 7 will be released for Panther as a download, and will be integrated into Tiger. So we potentially could have apps that need QuickTime 7, but are released before Tiger.

Just a thought. It probably won't happen.

zigziggityzoo
2005-03-14, 00:09
What exactly does Windows XP 64-bit add besides the obvious? It would seem better to be a service pack than an individual release...

Excuse me? Service pack? Better? You didn't happen to see SP2 did you?

kaupena
2005-03-14, 12:11
Does anybody know what kind of an upgrade path they might offer those of us who just got new machines in the last couple of months?

screensaver400
2005-03-14, 12:13
$129.

Unless, of course, you bought after their official announcement of a Tiger release date.

Xeno
2005-03-15, 00:03
This rumor is being picked up by the mainstream media...does it mean it's more believable? :p

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20050314/tc_zd/147720