PDA

View Full Version : Website "Community"

jdcfsu
2009-07-16, 12:46
The web site for my youth ministry is currently run using Wordpress. There is a PHP photo gallery running in parallel where I have been uploading pictures from the last decade. Though as people are moving to Facebook, they are uploading their own pictures making the photo gallery kind of pointless. And, based on the stats, it's getting visited less and less. So I want to rethink I the photos are handled on the site.

What would be ideal would be when photos are uploaded to Facebook, they are somehow linked into our web site. I know this isn't really possible, but would something like Flickr be an option? The problem is I don't want anyone and their brother to have the ability to upload stuff to our page/account/pool because of the monitoring hassle that would cause. But I'd like to be able to give people access or something like that. Granted, the PHP gallery I currently run has this as an option, but my kids won't use it even if they had access to it. It's just not cool enough I guess.

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to make this function. Anything would be a step in a better direction. Thanks!

Wyatt
2009-07-16, 16:52
Create a public, invitation-only group in Flickr. Then, use the Flickr badge maker to generate code you can use on your site. You could probably also find a Flickr plugin for WordPress.

jdcfsu
2009-07-16, 16:59
Create a public, invitation-only group in Flickr. Then, use the Flickr badge maker to generate code you can use on your site. You could probably also find a Flickr plugin for WordPress.

If it's a public group, would those pictures be viewable to anyone on Flickr, or would it depend on the settings created by the person who uploads them?

Wyatt
2009-07-16, 17:12
If it's a public group, would those pictures be viewable to anyone on Flickr, or would it depend on the settings created by the person who uploads them?
Your photo retains the privacy settings you set for anyone who isn't a group member. It also stays in your photostream, available to everyone who can view it. You (or a group administrator) can remove your photo from the pool at any time.

http://www.flickr.com/help/groups/ :)

jdcfsu
2009-07-16, 17:22
Interesting. I guess I should look more at what Flickr is capable of and stop using it to just host pictures for forums and such. That would be a much easier system to implement and utilize as well. Thanks for the suggestion.