PDA

View Full Version : macbookpro or air?

tannenhauser
2009-07-22, 11:32
hey so my 3 year old macbookpro is dying... im pretty ready for a new machine. my current macbookpro had its logic board redone after a failure and has had battery issues which were fixed but are now back... basically my machine does not work without the adapter plug, it shuts off as soon as i take the cord out. also it seems very sluggish.

anyway, i was thinking of getting the macbook air and a stand alone display but am hesitant that it only has 2gigs of ram, i do heavy adobe cs work so am wondering if its enough :-/ (i like that its very portable, like the price, but am just worried about the speeds).
having said that, i am also considering a new macbook pro, a 13" or a 15" but they are a little bit more expensive, have more ram but are not as portable as the air. additionally does anyone know when the next macbookpro updates will be? in september? will the be significant because i can wait a month.

what do you guys think i should get? i feel like the smart thing would be to get a 15" macbookpro... but i WANT the air :-/

Yontsey
2009-07-22, 11:36
I tell you what, the 13" is a thing of beauty. I don't have the "pro" but I have the unibody, so essentially the same thing. I upgraded it to 4gb of RAM and 500gb hdd and this thing is a work beast.

With the savings you could also buy an external monitor too. Just something to think about.

Miko
2009-07-22, 11:38
i do heavy adobe cs work so am wondering if its enough :-/ (i like that its very portable, like the price, but am just worried about the speeds).

You answered your question right here. I would never recommend the Air over any of the MBPs when you use the words heavy and Adobe CS in your needs category. Unless your go for the 17" I consider all the MBPs portable enough.

tannenhauser
2009-07-22, 11:46
I tell you what, the 13" is a thing of beauty. I don't have the "pro" but I have the unibody, so essentially the same thing. I upgraded it to 4gb of RAM and 500gb hdd and this thing is a work beast.

With the savings you could also buy an external monitor too. Just something to think about.

thanks for your reply! what is the difference between the unibody and the pro, is the unibody the white macbook?
if i go with the 13" pro will the solid state drive hd improve speed and generate less heat? does it improve battery life? or should i get the 500gb like you are suggesting.

thanks again

tannenhauser
2009-07-22, 11:51
You answered your question right here. I would never recommend the Air over any of the MBPs when you use the words heavy and Adobe CS in your needs category. Unless your go for the 17" I consider all the MBPs portable enough.

thanks miko. yeah i guess i did answer my own question... i wish the air had 4 gigs.
ive had a 17" and a 15" in the past, the 17 was waaaay to big. the 15 is good, a nice size but i kind of want to be able to just bring my laptop anywhere and then sit down with a big monitor when i need to do work from home. i think im set on a 13" just dont know whether i should get the macbook pro 4 gigs and solid state drive or a macbook with 4 gigs and 500 gb hd.

Yontsey
2009-07-22, 11:51
thanks for your reply! what is the difference between the unibody and the pro, is the unibody the white macbook?
if i go with the 13" pro will the solid state drive hd improve speed and generate less heat? does it improve battery life? or should i get the 500gb like you are suggesting.

thanks again

The unibody is the Macbook that came out last october and I think it's the same thing as the pro but they brought the firewire back and I'm really not sure what else. It's essentially the same thing.

As far as the ssd, I can't really give any advice as I've never dealt with one. I prefer size over a speed bump plus the prices are expensive for not a lot of storage. I don't really know about the heat, but I know with my unibody, I get good battery time's. I'd say on average 3-4 hours, though it depends on what I'm doing. Those new 15" pros though claim they're getting around 7hours so that's something to think about too.

Miko
2009-07-22, 11:58
The unibody is the Macbook that came out last october and I think it's the same thing as the pro but they brought the firewire back and I'm really not sure what else. It's essentially the same thing.

Visually there's not much difference between the Unibody MacBook and the newer 13" MacBook Pro. They did bring back FW800 and added the SD card slot, it has a wider color gamut display and the RAM can go up to 8 GB. Note, the new MBPs all feature the battery technology that debuted with the 17" MBP where on the older unibody MacBook had an user removable panel to quickly access the battery and HD to swap out or upgrade. However this is not something you would be missing were you to get the AIR anyway, BTW which can't be upgraded at all the 2 GB of RAM is soldered onto the motherboard.

tannenhauser
2009-07-22, 12:06
miko do you have any thoughts on solid state versus getting the 500 hd?
i think ive crossed the air out as an option. its now between getting the white macbook with 4 gigs of ram and a 500gb drive or getting a 13" pro with 4gigs and a solid state drive.

Yontsey
2009-07-22, 12:11
miko do you have any thoughts on solid state versus getting the 500 hd?
i think ive crossed the air out as an option. its now between getting the white macbook with 4 gigs of ram and a 500gb drive or getting a 13" pro with 4gigs and a solid state drive.

Why not the 13" pro with 4gb and 500gb hdd?

Miko
2009-07-22, 12:16
Well if you are on a budget I really don't think you would get much benefit from a SSD drive. The boot times are noticeably faster and the solid state is a nice feeling to have with the no moving parts and all, but the current HDD tech is pretty solid. then there is the price per gigabyte which while it has come down is still up there and 500GB is a crazy expensive option in SSD. SSD also has a fixed read/write lifetime after which will have to be replaced, but then again so do HDDs only cheaper.

So if you're looking for Speed, not talking a lot here, I would go with SSD, but if you're looking for higher storage capacity low cost, HDD.

tannenhauser
2009-07-22, 12:16
Why not the 13" pro with 4gb and 500gb hdd?

or that. however the macbook comes out to $1299 with 4 gigs and 500gb and the 13" pro with the 500gb comes out to $1649
so its really just an extra $350 theyre charging for the minor processor speed bump?

PB PM
2009-07-22, 13:45
Just keep in mind that the Macbook does not have firewire, while the Pro does. Also they upgraded displays colour garment by 60%, which may be important to you for graphics work.

Wyatt
2009-07-22, 13:59
or that. however the macbook comes out to $1299 with 4 gigs and 500gb and the 13" pro with the 500gb comes out to $1649
so its really just an extra $350 theyre charging for the minor processor speed bump?
And an all-aluminum enclosure that doesn't crack like the one on the white MacBook. And faster memory. And a backlit keyboard. And an SD card slot. And an epic 7-hour battery. But yeah, it's pretty much just the CPU. :p

FFL
2009-07-22, 14:01
Just keep in mind that the Macbook does not have firewire, while the Pro does.

No, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the white MacBook, the one remaining model with the "classic" white plastic design. It does have (and has always had) FireWire.

Wyatt
2009-07-22, 14:05
No, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the white MacBook, the one remaining model with the "classic" white plastic design. It does have (and has always had) FireWire.
That's true, so I've updated my post to reflect that (and all the other stuff I forgot). I still think the MBP is a steal at the low end.

FFL
2009-07-22, 15:19
That's true, so I've updated my post to reflect that (and all the other stuff I forgot). I still think the MBP is a steal at the low end.
It's also worth mentioning that the MB only has FireWire 400, while the MBP has FireWire 800.

Miko
2009-07-22, 15:49
You may also want to consider a refurbished (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470?mco=NjcxMjkzNg) MBP 15" they are still a great deal and from what you have mentioned as your needs, will handle that just fine. The unboxing moment is not has special, but they are Apple certified and come with a warranty.

tannenhauser
2009-07-22, 15:57
thank you so much all of you!
from your comments and suggestions i have decided to go with the macbookpro 13"
i had no idea about the better battery life or the 60% screen improvement or the better ram....!!! that $350 is money well spent.
now i am still debating whether i should get the sdd or the hdd, i am not a space hog, as i keep all my heavy files on an external drive, but is there really a big performance difference between the two? or is it something only a very versed techie will notice?
thanks!

Miko
2009-07-22, 16:08
Well really SSD can perform faster "milage may vary" and draw less load on the battery, but I'm really on the fence as far as spending the extra cost for the tech when I have found HDDs to be more than adequate for my needs. If your were talking about getting the Air then I would, seeing how the HDD in the Air is slow. Here is a link comparing the two (http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2008/02/macbook-air-ssd-review.ars) in the Air, it's a bit dated and the HDD was a 4200rpm drive, but hope it helps.

Note the results for the MacBook Pro.