PDA

View Full Version : any guesses on tiger?

rudz1985
2005-01-12, 00:15
I had heard that tiger was "for sure" coming out in January this year. "First half of 2005" was a little frustrating, I need to buy it before I leave my current school so I can get a discount. Any guesses as to when it will FINALLY be up for sale? I can't wait any longer! :mad:

johnq
2005-01-12, 00:28
I had heard that tiger was "for sure" coming out in January this year. "First half of 2005" was a little frustrating

You heard wrong. It's always been "first half of 2005". Someone lied to you.

I need to buy it before I leave my current school so I can get a discount. Any guesses as to when it will FINALLY be up for sale?

Last Tuesday in Summer I would expect. (guessing)

I can't wait any longer! :mad:

You can and you will. :mad:

:lol:

chucker
2005-01-12, 01:11
Whoever made the "coming in January" rumor up had no idea what they were talking about. Tiger won't be ready for a while.

As said in several threads already, don't count on it before late spring, i.e. April.

Wickers
2005-01-12, 01:15
I have a feeling they will bump the iBooks with the release of Tiger... if that helps any...

thequicksilver
2005-01-12, 11:21
I won't claim to know the release date for Tiger, but one thing I'd put a small amount of money on is the price. Notice Jobs hasn't mentioned the price yet? It'll be more than $129 this time, like iLife saw the price increase yesterday. My guess is $149 for Tiger.

(I'm not complaining at this btw, the $129 pricepoint has stuck since 2001 so it's probably time for an increase.)

Gizzer
2005-01-13, 06:08
Tha fact that Jobs said "first half" again rather than Jan Feb or even First Quarter says to me that Tiger still has a way to go yet before it is finished.

"First Half" is vague enough that they've covered themselves for all technical eventualities. There must be some teething problems or else he would have been a bit more specific.

I don't think theres anything strategic about release dates as such (not for the OS anyway). It'll just be released when it's ready....

adam_tj
2005-01-13, 06:34
I hope they dont jack up the price. It shouldnt be as high as Windows XP!!! Seriously though, they probably will. At the keynote Steve said "Over 200 new features" instead of the usual 150. Also, the release date (obviously) is diffeent than the other releases.

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-13, 06:48
There must be some teething problems....

Like the SpotLight bug that prompted the classic refrain: "Well that's why here we have back-up systems" (heh). The RDF put a positive spin on a potentially embarrassing situation.

I must say, having only just watched the keynote last night, that I really like Phil Schiller's product demos. He effortlessly displays the possibilities of software, without getting too complicated. No RDF, of course, but if he lost some weight and, well, moved into darker coloured sweats... who knows.

scratt
2005-01-13, 06:56
I hope they dont jack up the price. It shouldnt be as high as Windows XP!!!

I guess you are joking..

Of course we'd all like it for free...

But if you do a straight comparison I think Tiger could be about 1,000 times the price of XP and still good relative value! :D

oldmacfan
2005-01-13, 14:12
Think SuperBowl...

Think Mini-Tiger-Shuffle...

Let's not think the SuperBowl Shuffle...

And 40 million+++ viewers all watching the Commercials intentionally.

CharlesS
2005-01-13, 15:02
Think SuperBowl...

Think Mini-Tiger-Shuffle...

Let's not think the SuperBowl Shuffle...

And 40 million+++ viewers all watching the Commercials intentionally.
Think "when it's done"...

MCQ
2005-01-13, 15:16

Ding! :)

Moogs
2005-01-13, 18:05
June (aka WWDC).

sunrain
2005-01-13, 18:13
June (aka WWDC).

Yup yup.

oldmacfan
2005-01-14, 00:49

Really, I thought they were M$. I thought Apple might release it early before it was ready. So what you are saying is they won't release it till it is finished. That is an interesting thought, wow, I would have never thought of that. :no: :no: :no: You go to school to be that smart.

thequicksilver
2005-01-14, 04:48
June (aka WWDC).

Hmm, I think it'll be earlier than that. Possibly not much earlier, but everyone seems to think that the date's going to be officially announced by Jobs at a Keynote, which certainly wasn't the case for Panther. I'd be slightly more inclined to guess an Easter release.

(That prediction brought to you by Mike the armchair analyst with absolutely no insider knowledge at all.)

adam_tj
2005-01-14, 06:30
More features=more time

Also, did anyone notice the redo of the menubar for tiger? It has changed since WWDC '04. Also, the Mail toolbar looked completely foreign. Are we seeing a trend AWAY from Aqua?

thequicksilver
2005-01-14, 07:15
Yeah, I noticed the menubar change too. For the better too - I didn't like the initial Tiger menubar, the Spotlight button took up too much space.

Apple have been gradually moving away from the initial Aqua look from Jaguar onwards, making it a little less pretty, but more practical. Looking at screenshots from 10.0/10.1 now looks very odd indeed - the pinstripes everywhere, the transparent titlebars, the extreme shadowing on the menubar text, the glassy style (instead of gel-like) buttons, the bobbly widgets. With the further 'metalisation' of the OS X UI, the original look and feel of Aqua has pretty much disappeared. Tiger is only continuing an ongoing trend.

I found this screenshot of OS X 10.0 (http://www.mikeserieys.co.uk/images/10_0screenshot.jpg) which pretty much exemplifies this change. It looks almost totally foreign to Panther's UI, let alone Tiger's.