PDA

View Full Version : pBook v. iMac G5

iBeard
2005-01-12, 01:46
I was waiting for the pBook update at MWSF that didn't happen, but it doesn't really matter because I still want to get a pbook in the next 2 weeks. The thing is, I realized that I can get a BTO 1.8Ghz 17" iMac G5 for about the same as the BTO 12" pBook I want. I really want a pBook because they are really hot looking, light and portable, but the iMac has alot more power behind it w/ that 1.8Ghz G5... I'm really torn; does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

naren
2005-01-12, 02:04
If you don't actually need portability than get the iMac. You'll be much happier with the performance. However I suppose this depends on what you want to do with your computer in the first place......

iBookNewbie
2005-01-12, 05:10
i hear they may be better bumps sometime soon on the quiet, so if you have already waited this long, why not a lttle longer??

iBeard
2005-01-12, 09:30
i hear they may be better bumps sometime soon on the quiet, so if you have already waited this long, why not a lttle longer??

right, but those updates are supposedly only an increase to 1.5Ghz (G4), still a long shot from the 1.8Ghz G5...

torifile
2005-01-12, 10:23
If you don't need portability, a desktop is ALWAYS the best way to go. That's the deciding factor here. The iMac is a sweet machine, but I've got a 12" powerbook because I need a laptop.

iBeard
2005-01-12, 13:24
If you don't need portability, a desktop is ALWAYS the best way to go. That's the deciding factor here. The iMac is a sweet machine, but I've got a 12" powerbook because I need a laptop.

right, I think I'm going w/ the iMac. I've dreamt about the powerbook, but realistically, I need the speed of the iMac. This computer is for the few video freelancing jobs i get, and hopefully the many more to come. I would get the pMac, but the screen w/ the iMac is the deal sealer, I need a big screen for video editing and w/ a pMac I'd have to use the shitty 17" CRT I have right now. So, iMac it is I guess.

PiP
2005-01-17, 11:28
Other than speed, what does a G5 offer over a G4? Specifically, is there any software that can be run on the G5 that will not work on the G4?

torifile
2005-01-17, 11:52
Other than speed, what does a G5 offer over a G4? Specifically, is there any software that can be run on the G5 that will not work on the G4?
Not because of the difference between a G5 and G4. Any software that won't run on a G4 is likely because of speed issues. There aren't any titles that I can think of off hand that won't run on a new powerbook.

Franz Josef
2005-01-17, 15:03

Hard to argue with that. I use a 12 inch Powerbook G4 which is excellent - so small and well designed. But I'd like a good iMac G5 too to supplement it. The iMac looks attractive because it has such a small footprint on the desk and looks better value than the Powermac G5.

Ed Rooney
2005-01-17, 21:58
Powerbook. I have yet to see someone use an iMac on their deck or in the sh*tter.

I sit an a desk in an office all day. I refuse to do the same at home.