PDA

View Full Version : Apple selling refurb first-generation(!) 5GB iPods for $129

psmith2.0
2009-08-20, 17:12
How strange. (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/20/apple-selling-refurbished-first-generation-5-gb-ipods/)

These are from 2001, the original click-wheel iPods at 5GB. FireWire-based and Mac-only.

I guess if you're into such old-school, cool stuff, that's something to jump on.

Kinda makes you wonder if they'd ever do the same with old, refurb jellybean iMacs (tray-loading and/or slot-loading), or even the iMac G4 "iLamp"?

:confused:

Has anyone known them to go back this far, to sell something from their lineup from so long ago?

tomoe
2009-08-20, 17:20
I can't just imagine the hipster kids picking these up so they can show off they're "vintage" iPods...

But to your original question, no, I've never seen such old stock for sale on the refurb page.

Brad
2009-08-20, 17:31
Well, the linked item from the MacRumors article has a picture of the third-generation iPod, not the first. I'd suspect it's a glitch in the store. Did Apple ever even call it "iPOD for MAC"? I'd expect that description from Best Buy, not the Apple store.

2009-08-20, 17:46
"iPOD for MAC"That struck me as strange too. Like a spammer. :err:

Don't know if I'd pony up $129 even if I didn't have a first-gen, but at $49-$69 I'd be tempted.

psmith2.0
2009-08-20, 18:04
Brad, that article mentions how the wrong (third-gen) iPod is shown in the pic. But the description points to the first-gen, original model.

Robo
2009-08-20, 18:40
I just looked in their refurb store and didn't see anything unusual.

I would have probably purchased one instantly, "just because."

:(

EDIT: Ooh, I followed MacRumor's link to get there. Decisions, decisions...

Someone needs to buy one, just so we can see what's what.

It actually doesn't say anywhere that it's refurbished, which is weird.

Swox
2009-08-20, 20:18
Apple also sells "Clearance" products on occasion that are ridiculously priced, like PPC iMacs or Towers at almost original pricing. Hilarious.

screensaver400
2009-08-20, 21:01
I ordered one. I got automatically upgraded to a 10gb model at $169. I haven't called yet--I really doubt I'll get anything, but I'd love to have a classic iPod (not an iPod classic) show up on my door. I'll get them to adjust the price after.

Robo
2009-08-20, 21:41
Yeah, from what people on Gizmodo are saying, there's actually three different models being sold...5 and 10GBs, first and second generations, $129, $149, $169. You can tell which you get by your model number...which also tells you if it's refurbished, I guess?

Some people are saying that Apple phone employees helped with the purchase, while other people are saying the phone employees are telling them it's a mistake. So it would seem even Apple doesn't really know what is what.

I would love a shiny new (looking) iPod 1G...or 2G, even. Let us know what happens!

psmith2.0
2009-08-20, 22:32
I still think they should offer a cool "limited edition" anniversary run and stick modern Intel guts/graphics (along with SuperDrives, gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0, "n" AirPort, FireWire 800, etc.) into fruit-flavored iMac DV and white iMac G4 shells and watch them absolutely fly off the shelves!

:eek:

Believe me: if I could get a tangerine iMac DV with the modern performance/features found on, say, the current Mac mini), I'd place an order so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

Barring that, if I could simply send my tangerine iMac DV to Apple (or some authorized, legit third-party outfit) to have that sort of "surgery" performed - pull out the 400MHz G3 and accompanying guts/IO and replace it all with everything found in the $599 2009 Mac mini - I'd seriously consider it.

I'd love for my little iMac to be pulled out of the closet, dusted off, able to take 2GB RAM, run Leopard (and Snow Leopard) and make an awesome little living room/guest computer and a great little iTunes jukebox/surfing station.

I've never had a computer since that got as much praise and attention as that thing. Not the iMac G4, not my PowerBook and certainly not my current iMac. But people went bonkers over my little orange jellybean back in the day.

:)

They'd make a killing if they figured out a way to do this. I'd be their first customer!

:D

Robo
2009-08-20, 22:43
Pscates, we've been over this before: I would sell my possessions to obtain a modern computer in the iMac G4 design, if necessary.

I still think they should bring back that hinged design in an ultra-sleek, aluminum-and-glass profile (put the "base" in the keyboard!), call it iMac Air, and sell it for $1,799. They'd make millions.

They can start with a white, Beatles iPod classic. ;)

screensaver400
2009-08-21, 10:36
Well, so much for that. Got an email last night that says the iPod is no longer available and my order will be cancelled.

psmith2.0
2009-08-21, 10:51
How strange. That was a quick, weird little episode.

murbot
2009-08-21, 11:00
This thread made me sad. I started reading it while subconsciously deciding whether to buy one or not, then pretty much thought I was going to, then I got kicked in the nuts right at the end.

*sniff*

psmith2.0
2009-08-21, 11:06
Apple should take a cue from Fender and Gibson...offer a "vintage reissue" line for those willing to pay to have a cool, old-school Mac or iPod.

:)

Anyone can have a stock, off-the-rack 2009 red or black Strat. But there's something cooler about a 1960's Sonic Blue or Seafoam Green model with aged pickguard/knobs and 60's cosmetic touches (and period-correct logo/lettering).

I would imagine that same sort of thinking could apply to classic Apple designs and products as well?

I know it's a whole different ball of wax (guitars vs. computers), but I'm also not saying it should be a huge thing, or overtaking their "real", current lines. Just a separate, "custom shop" type of thing for those interested in paying or having something a bit more unique. Offer only 3-4 things (iMac G4, jellybean iMacs, toilet seat iBooks and first-gen iPods?)

:p

IMO, Apple has never been cooler (or more fun) than they were in 1999-2000. They should capitalize on that a bit.

:D

Robo
2009-08-21, 11:09
This thread made me sad. I started reading it while subconsciously deciding whether to buy one or not, then pretty much thought I was going to, then I got kicked in the nuts right at the end.

*sniff*

:lol:

I know, right? I was like, damn, that's pretty awesome. I had even rationalized it by saying that the $129, 5GB model was in between the 4GB $79 shuffle and 8GB $149 nano in price, so the price made perfect sense! And why would I get a nano for someone (or myself) this holiday season when I could get them something even more unique and probably even more fashionable? Yes, iPod is old enough to have a retro version, and it is awesome.

But...no.

But the fact that apparently so many people came so close to dropping $129 on a bulky 5GB, black-and-white MP3 player kinda proves that Apple has a pretty big untapped market there, if they'd only see it.

Yes, making "retro" Macs/iPods would be sort of be tooting their own horn. But they don't have to make them exactly retro, just retro-inspired. Like, make a tangerine/white model of the modern iMac. It probably doesn't need to be plastic and pinstripe-y to placate people like pscates. It doesn't have to be exactly the same.

If they were to make a Beatles iPod in white, I'm sure a lot of people would buy it just because it was (after two years absence) a white iPod. The Beatles connection just provides Apple with the excuse (see: U2 iPod).

psmith2.0
2009-08-21, 11:16
Like, make a tangerine/white model of the modern iMac. It probably doesn't need to be plastic and pinstripe-y to placate people like pscates. It doesn't have to be exactly the same.

Uh, yes it does. Piss off!

bassplayinMacFiend
2009-08-21, 11:35
Anyone can have a stock, off-the-rack 2009 red or black Strat. But there's something cooler about a 1960's Sonic Blue or Seafoam Green model with aged pickguard/knobs and 60's cosmetic touches (and period-correct logo/lettering).

If you're into the relic'ed thing, I have a 20GB 2nd gen iPod I'll sell you for $150. :lol: I did a great job on relicing it too.

Robo
2009-08-21, 11:39
Uh, yes it does. Piss off!

Oh, like you wouldn't buy a tangerine aluminum iMac...with a glossy white Apple logo on the front...and the back would be glossy white (instead of matte black) plastic, with an orange Apple Logo on it (and an orange stand). It would be fab, and you know it. :D

Maybe somebody should make a mock-up...

I'd wager to say that you'd even pay extra for the privilege. ;) Not just for the privilege, of course - the $1,499 orange model would have a token bigger hard drive or whatever over the $1,299 grey model (ooh, I know, Blu-ray!) - but we all know what people would really be buying with the money. It'd be like that black MacBook all over again, only awesome.

See, that's the thing with Apple. They've apparently made up their mind that things like color are tied to that 1998-2001 era, making them as dated as puck mice and tiny CRT monitors. But it's colors we're talking about here. You know, like, the visible spectrum? Those doesn't "get outdated" or go out of style. Individual colors, maybe. But the entire rainbow? :\

Yes, lots of lesser companies (most prominently Dell) are making their crappy computers in colors nowadays. But I don't think making the iMac in a few new shades would cheapen its look at all.

The neon hues of the '80s are coming back in full force, and just look at the growing Japanese influence on pop culture (and what's "cute"). Bright colors are in. And Apple gets that, with their iPod nanos, but not with anything else any more. Weird.

kieran
2009-08-21, 13:21
I would buy a modern version of the iMac G4 in a second. Hell, my parents still use the one I got from Kraetos on a daily basis. I love that computer. Could use a few upgrades, but not bad for what they use it for.

Apple could make a ton of money if they sold a "retro" line, but I don't think they would ever do it. It would be awesome, but they never would.

I can still hope though...

Wyatt
2009-08-21, 13:22
A retro line would be cool, but there's no way they'd ever do it. Apple's whole philosophy on selling products has evolved into "You don't want that old stuff. The old stuff is shit. You want the new stuff." A "throwback" line doesn't really fit into that strategy.

Robo
2009-08-21, 13:35
A retro line would be cool, but there's no way they'd ever do it. Apple's whole philosophy on selling products has evolved into "You don't want that old stuff. The old stuff is shit. You want the new stuff." A "throwback" line doesn't really fit into that strategy.

That works only as long as the new stuff is actually better. I find the iMac G4 design far more successful than the iMac G5/Intel/Aluminum designs, and that's not just misty-eyed nostalgia. The iMac G4 display is more adjustable, for example. Moving to the "slab" design was an unequivocal step backwards in that regard.

I agree that Apple wouldn't ever due a "retro" line, but it's not like they'd have to market it that way. They could improve upon things like that adjustable display (already an improvement from the current slabs), for example. The only thing that I didn't like about the iMac G4's adjustable display was that it literally revolved around the computer, not the user. But, say, put a hinge in the middle of that arm, and then connect the display to the keyboard? Then we'd have a much more user-centric design - the display would revolve around, and would always be facing, the user.

Include an ultra-thin, high-quality (maybe even OLED?) display, to cement its premium positioning and complete the "weightless" look. Call it iMac Air or oMac or (hopefully) just plain "iMac," I don't care. Even if it had to be positioned as a higher-end, "premium" all-in-one, in addition to a regular slab iMac, I still think it would sell. It would be like The Computer Of The Future.