PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Story Writing Software?

Kraetos
2009-08-28, 18:34
Does anyone use specialized writing software like Scrivener (http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html) or Ulysses (http://www.the-soulmen.com/ulysses/)?

Until now I've simply been using Pages but I have a least a half-dozen documents that aren't related to the novel itself, for things like notes, timelines, character backgrounds, technical notes, &c and I'm wondering if the price tag and learning curve of such software justifies its purchase.

Robo
2009-08-28, 18:50
I know people who swear by Scrivener, which really does seeem to be the best such software (on Mac or PC!). I keep on trying to make myself buy it, but I'm not sure I'd ever use it to its fullest. I don't think I really write that way (I'm lucky enough not to write in a genre that requires large amounts of "technical notes," for example). I'm pretty adept at keeping things in my head, but that's my main problem (keeping too much in my head, i.e., not writing :().

If you get either, let me know how you like them.

To be honest, my primary word processor is a Uni-ball. :o I just haven't found a computer that's equally mobile as paper notebooks, in both weight and especially battery life ;) though the Nokia Booklet looks promising. But even when I'm at home, sometimes I write on paper, just because when I use my computer I tend to get distracted and go on internet forums instead. Ahem.

Kraetos
2009-08-28, 19:00
I'm pretty adept at keeping things in my head, but that's my main problem (keeping too much in my head, i.e., not writing :().

Yeah, that's what I thought, until one day I looked up and realized I'd written 35,000 words :eek:

I'm going through the Scrivener tutorial now (a word processor with a 30-minute tutorial? It better be good...)

The main reason I'm looking now, though, is because my Dad just told me he was writing his own book (apparently hearing about my creative endavours has inspired him, as he's always wanted to write a novel before but has never made it all the way through) and asked if I was using specialized software. I said no, and he said if I wanted Scrivener or something similar, it was on him.

To be honest, my primary word processor is a Uni-ball.

I really do enjoy writing by hand, actually, with my Pilot G2. But I am way too much of a compulsive editor to use pen and paper.

Robo
2009-08-28, 19:11
I really do enjoy writing by hand, actually, with my Pilot G2. But I am way too much of a compulsive editor to use pen and paper.

Really? See, for me, it's sort of the opposite. Writing on a computer makes it so easy to edit that I often end up perfecting and polishing one paragraph ad infinitum, ignoring the fact that chances are good that entire paragraph/page/chapter would need to be cut later. Writing by hand sort of forces you to keep going; if you right write the wrong word you can scratch it out but you can't really go back and edit once it's written.

There's also something about a blank screen with a flashing cursor that intimidates me, for some reason. :o

But, seriously. A Pilot G2? Pssh. :p /uni-ball fanboy

sunrain
2009-08-28, 20:16
I flippin' love Scrivener. I don't think there's much of a learning curve to it.

I've been using it most recently to research my dissertation, part of which will form a few chapters in a book I'm working toward. It's been fantastic to keep track of all manner of materials. I record an interview and just drop the file in along with everything else. Try it out. I think you'll like it.

Iago
2009-08-29, 06:00
I adore Scrivener. Wrote my dissertation using it.