PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner card

torifile
2009-10-12, 20:17
Any recs for a card that will work in both OS X and Windows? I'm just looking for tuning extended basic channels - what I get straight out of the wall. I'd like some recording and encoding ability, too. Looking to keep it as cheap as possible.

jcoley2
2009-10-12, 21:50
I may not understand fully your requirements but what about EyeTV?

torifile
2009-10-12, 22:28
I may not understand fully your requirements but what about EyeTV?
I think that's a good option obviously but it's overpriced for my needs. I've got capacity in my tower for an internal card so I don't want to pay for an external USB device unless I have to. Sorry that wasn't clear from my post. :)

I need a tuner with Clear QAM, NTSC and some decent software. That's about it. Internal, external doesn't matter. Hardware encoding doesn't matter either. Any other thoughts?

dmegatool
2009-10-12, 23:04
There's this one (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116034&Tpk=WinTV-HVR-950Q) from hauppauge wich is compatible PC and Mac. I know it's not internal but it still pretty cheap.

jcoley2
2009-10-13, 04:58
I think that's a good option obviously but it's overpriced for my needs.

Understood but if you bought a used one (say the 200) it would come with the old Titan TV subscription which is free. I just had to buy a new 250 as my old 200 burned out and now it's using TV guide which is free the first year but I suspect I am going to get hit with a $50 annual fee next year.