PDA

View Full Version : Geeky gift ideas for lecturer?

joveblue
2009-10-19, 00:00
I was discussing with a friend today buying a gift for a marketing lecturer who has been awesome for the last 4 years, as we're finishing uni in the next few weeks. We were thinking something geeky would be appropriate as he loves gadget (and just took us for e-marketing). Budget is maybe around $100 but we're not sure how many people are contributing so we're just looking for some ideas for now, budget flexible.

We know he has a MacBook Air, iPod touch and Flip camcorder. The Kindle is being released in Australia but if he wants one he's probably already ordered it, but considering that we're getting ripped off on the pricing here and he's expecting an Apple tablet next year, which he's pretty excited about, so he probably doesn't want one.

Does anyone have any gift ideas? Perhaps something 'fun' rather than useful, as he'd probably already have anything he'd find useful.

We're not averse to ordering from the US if it's something easy to ship as the exchange rate is great at the moment.

Anything he could use for teaching would interest him too. He does a podcast and writes a blog called on teaching so he's into trying out new things (our assignment this semester was to make a video presentation and he gave his feedback via video).

Any ideas?

Robo
2009-10-19, 00:56
A lifetime subscription to AppleNova. :p

No seriously, maybe a Nintendo DS? And Professor Layton, if they released it there (and even if they haven't, 'cause the DS lite is region free). Not Brain Training, both because that's stuffy and expected and because giving someone something called "Brain Training" always struck me as a bit of an insensitive gift, not unlike giving someone Wii Fit. But apparently tons of people did just that...

I just give everybody iPods, but you said he already had one of those. But you could give him another. ;). Headphones can also be a good gift for a music lover but you don't want to give them to anyone that you don't know very well, because you don't want to give them headphones that are worse than the ones they have already. And some people hate earbuds, or cans, or whatever.

I guess there's always gift cards? That's all I got (whoo double meaning!).

The $100 iTunes Gift Card is solid black and holographic, which is sure to make someone feel snazzy.

curiousuburb
2009-10-19, 08:37
'Work related'? i.e.: BT remote/clicker, laser pointer (green), etc

or 'recreational'... Solio solar charger, etc

Not enough info. Any hobbies you know of?

_Ω_
2009-10-19, 13:59
I would make sure that you are giving the gift after all official ties with the University are cut to avoid any drama. I used to have people trying (and failing) to give me gifts - always found it funny it that they tended to be from the failing students. Not saying that this is the case here, but just letting you know. You may also find the Uni has a policy regarding gifts.

However in saying that I would look for something that relates to a hobby than his employment and then find the appropriate gift card (I hate it when people buy me something they think I would like without realising I already have one or better)

2c

:)

joveblue
2009-10-20, 04:18
No seriously, maybe a Nintendo DS? And Professor Layton, if they released it there (and even if they haven't, 'cause the DS lite is region free). Not Brain Training, both because that's stuffy and expected and because giving someone something called "Brain Training" always struck me as a bit of an insensitive gift, not unlike giving someone Wii Fit. But apparently tons of people did just that...Not a bad idea, I could get a discount from work too. Not sure if we'll get enough money together. And yeah, Professor Layton is out here.

I guess there's always gift cards? That's all I got (whoo double meaning!).Yeah. I prefer not to give giftcards if I can but maybe a giftcard for ThinkGeek or something might be good.

The $100 iTunes Gift Card is solid black and holographic, which is sure to make someone feel snazzy.Hmm ours are plain and I think blue. He could use it to buy iPhone apps though.

'Work related'? i.e.: BT remote/clicker, laser pointer (green), etc

or 'recreational'... Solio solar charger, etc

Not enough info. Any hobbies you know of?He already has a clicker/pointer. No idea on the hobbies... He was showing us some videos about augmented reality devices and stuff from TED (e.g. an electronic whiteboard made with a Wiimote and a couple of other bits and pieces, Sixth Sense, Project Natal). That's the closest thing to a hobby I know of. That and podcasting. He also built an island on Second Life (but don't think he plays it anymore).

I would make sure that you are giving the gift after all official ties with the University are cut to avoid any drama. I used to have people trying (and failing) to give me gifts - always found it funny it that they tended to be from the failing students. Not saying that this is the case here, but just letting you know. You may also find the Uni has a policy regarding gifts.

However in saying that I would look for something that relates to a hobby than his employment and then find the appropriate gift card (I hate it when people buy me something they think I would like without realising I already have one or better)We've finished classes now so it won't be too long to wait until our final results are published. I think you're right in terms of not getting him anything he might already have, which I was thinking something 'fun', even 'wacky', rather than 'useful'. Some sort of wacky Japanese gadget he'd get a kick out of and be able to show off to his future students, perhaps? I'm not really up to date on my wacky Japanese gadgets though unfortunately.