PDA

View Full Version : G5 for $200

Robo
2009-10-21, 15:01
My bro can get a dual 2.3 GHz PMG5 with a 250 GB HDD and 1 GB RAM for $200. It comes with a keyboard, mouse, Tiger and a 17" Studio Display (!!!) with the requisite adaptor. That's a good deal right?

He just bought a $600 PC so he is viewing this as a secondary computer but I told him with more RAM and a new keyboard (those old keyboards got so gross) it actually wouldn't be a bad first computer, I mean really. I'd like his first real Mac experience (his ex had a BlackBook) to be good but I mean for $200 I think he'll actually get more than he's expecting. What do you all think? Should he jump on it?

torifile
2009-10-21, 15:28
What would he be doing with it? For most purposes, I think that'd be a fine computer to use. Have him install Leopard so he's at least close to the latest cat. It should do very well for surfing and banging out some papers or something.

Capella
2009-10-21, 16:03
Maybe add a stck more RAM to up it to 2, but it sounds great.

Robo
2009-10-21, 16:55
What would he be doing with it? For most purposes, I think that'd be a fine computer to use. Have him install Leopard so he's at least close to the latest cat. It should do very well for surfing and banging out some papers or something.

I think he will mainly use his PC for gaming and then just use the Mac for general stuff, or else when he and his girlfriend both wanted to use a computer they would have two. Nothing fancy.

And I suggested the RAM upgrade. :)

PB PM
2009-10-21, 19:32
For $200 I'd grab it. I hope electricity is cheap, because those G5 towers eat power like crazy.

2009-10-21, 19:39
I'd grab it too. That's hella cheap for a tower and a monitor.

Chinney
2009-10-21, 19:43
If he is selling the PMG5 for that, I wonder what my iMac G5 - still my main computer - is worth. $50?

PB PM
2009-10-21, 19:54
You can get more for a G5 than that, the person must just trying to off load it fast.

Robo
2009-10-21, 20:16
You can get more for a G5 than that, the person must just trying to off load it fast.

From what I understand, it's from his college and they are apparently doing a big upgrade and off-loading all their previous equipment to students. So I imagine they have a bunch of them and just want to be rid of 'em.

Maciej
2009-10-21, 21:41
The cases are so bad-ass. It would be sweet to hollow it out and build a PC inside. I know, I said it. Or just Hackintosh it.

PB PM
2009-10-22, 00:09
Meh, I could never bring myself to put non-Apple guts into a PPC machine.

Maciej
2009-10-22, 00:16
Well when it comes down to it being a 3'x3' brick under my desk or putting it to use the pragmatic side of me wins out. I don't attend the church of job's.

Unless you mean it would be too much of a pain in the butt to get things working, then you might be right, I'm not familiar with the details on that.

PB PM
2009-10-22, 01:04
I'm speaking of the latter, it is just too much hassle.

Maciej
2009-10-22, 01:21
I'm speaking of the latter, it is just too much hassle.

Haha! Thank goodness, I was a little worried for a second. :lol:

I've never been inside one of those cases before, but if it had some standard mounting points (which I doubt it has) I could be easy enough to just switch out the motherboard. Maybe insanelymac has some tutorials or threads about it. I'll search around tomorrow, also I thought I heard someone talking about it around here, too..

WrestleEwe
2009-10-22, 06:51

I think it should also do well with FCS1 and SD video editing and/or Adobe CS2. If you load this monster with software released in the same period it was built it should still be ridiculously fast.

No one is going to know if that JPEG on your site has been edited with CS1/2/3/4... You do have to let go of the idea that the newest software is somehow mandatory.

torifile
2009-10-22, 07:14
My thought were the same, Maciej. A decent PC case is over $100. I'd pay $200 to be able to use a real tower's chassis. I'd be interested in seeing a thread or 2 about doing this. If you find any, please post them. Thanks! :)

pscates2.0
2009-10-22, 10:54
I think it should also do well with FCS1 and SD video editing and/or Adobe CS2. If you load this monster with software released in the same period it was built it should still be ridiculously fast.

No one is going to know if that JPEG on your site has been edited with CS1/2/3/4... You do have to let go of the idea that the newest software is somehow mandatory.

That's very true. We used 1.8GHz (or were they 2.0GHz? Can't remember...one of the two) iMac G5s at a previous job, and they ran CS2 (and Tiger) like nobody's business. As long as Snow Leopard, iLife 09 and Adobe CS4 weren't hardcore requirements, I think he'd be just fine. And a tower and a 17" Apple display for $200?

That almost answers itself.

:)

hmurchison
2009-10-22, 10:57
That's a great deal. It's a perfect starter Mac that can still run Leopard well meaning it's compatible with 90% of the current Mac software out here

pscates2.0
2009-10-22, 11:23
True. iLife 09 should run on it just fine, it looks like (I had my figures wrong). iMovie 09 requires a dual 2.0GHz Power Mac, and this system is a dual 2.3, so there.

:)

The only thing he wouldn't be able to do is run that GarageBand "Learn to Play" stuff. But that's probably not a big deal.

So, yeah...Leopard, iLife 09 and all that they entail. He's set!

Maciej
2009-10-22, 12:10
My thought were the same, Maciej. A decent PC case is over $100. I'd pay $200 to be able to use a real tower's chassis. I'd be interested in seeing a thread or 2 about doing this. If you find any, please post them. Thanks! :)

From what I can gather there's tons of people who have done this, but I haven't found a one stop place for a write-up or anything of that nature. This seems to be due to the fact that its a very custom process, with custom parts (lots of folks use different mother boards, etc). That being said I have done a cursory search on insanelymac.com's forums and here is the search, and a few threads I picked out. They're all pretty long, and not all that helpful.

Main search (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=05b1911414150260c7b884b2c9d95d0b&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=mac+pro+case)
InsanelyMac Thread #1 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4525&hl=mac+pro+case)
InsanelyMac Thread #2 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=91502&hl=mac+pro+case)
InsanelyMac Thread #3 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100481&hl=mac+pro+case)
Aquamac thread I've seen refered to a couple times (http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hack1&action=display&thread=460&page=1)

This type of project is pretty extensive it would seem. I've read that the main problems seem to be getting the ports to line up on the back, for which a custom back plate is required - to look nice at least. Also I've read about people needing to strip down their PSU to fit it in to slow, and other various adjustments on the chassis to fit their MOBO. Its hard to give you guys any real information because I've never been inside a Mac Pro case so I can't speak from experience. This seems like the type of project you need to research other folks attempts, commit to your project and just go for it.

Mods feel free to split this thread. Much appreciated.